Alice Cooper talks GNR reunion : 'Where's Izzy?'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/alice-cooper-talks-guns-n-roses-reunion-wheres-izzy-20160209

As Alice Cooper began preparing to debut a new Hollywood Vampires tune and pay tribute to Motörhead's Lemmy Kilmister at the Grammy Awards, he marveled at how he and his bandmates, which include Johnny Depp and Joe Perry, could coordinate schedules. One new challenge has been working around Guns N' Roses' recent reunion, since erstwhile GN'R members bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum double in Vampires.

"I had a feeling it was going to happen," Cooper says of the reunited GN'R, which officially welcomed McKagan and guitarist Slash back into Axl Rose's world. "Guns N' Roses is always unpredictable, which makes them exciting. I think those gigs will go through."

The one thing that has Cooper scratching his head though is the apparent absence of founding GN'R guitarist Izzy Stradlin, who played with the band from 1985 through 1991. "I'm just wondering why isn't Izzy in there?" he says. "I don't know about drums, but certainly Izzy is viable. You'd think if Slash and Axl are working together – and Duff is one of those guys that gets along with everybody – then at least Izzy would be one of the guys who would be a shoo-in.

"And maybe he is, I don't know," Cooper says, continuing speculation. "I don't what their setup is with him. But it's like not having Brian Jones with the Rolling Stones, if he were available."

Since Guns N' Roses announced the reunion, Cooper says McKagan has seemed reinvigorated, even in Hollywood Vampires. "Duff is great, man," he says. "One of the great things about when we put the Vampires together is how the bass and drums make the songs move. You've got two guys that have played together for 20 years. They're locked in. It's really good."

Cooper, who recorded a version of his "Under My Wheels" with Rose and Slash in 1988 and later guested on GN'R's "The Garden," also remembered taking Guns N' Roses out on the road with him in 1987, shortly after the release of Appetite for Destruction. "They were great," he says. "They were never late." He laughs. "They were one of those bands that, when they go on before you, you have to look at your band and be like, 'Hey guys, we better be good tonight because those guys were great.' You always want the opening band to push you. That's always a good thing."

Edited by supercool
spell

If I had to guess, if they included Izzy in any promotional materials or confirmed his attachment to the group, there would be an expectation of fans who are attending every show for Izzy to be there.   Perhaps Izzy doesn't want to give that kind of commitment, and the band therefore doesn't want to dupe unsuspecting fans by including him in any announcements or promotional materials.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, starlight said:

Nobody knows if Izzy is in apparently it's his choice he doesn't like to tour

If Izzy doesn't like to tour, why did he make guest appearances at past global GN'R shows, when he wasn't even considered a band member?

He seems to be the silent and strong type who enjoys being a musician for the creative process- noted by the number of albums he's released. But this seems to be too good a chance for him to miss IMO.

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

If I had to guess, if they included Izzy in any promotional materials or confirmed his attachment to the group, there would be an expectation of fans who are attending every show for Izzy to be there.   Perhaps Izzy doesn't want to give that kind of commitment, and the band therefore doesn't want to dupe unsuspecting fans by including him in any announcements or promotional materials.  

Pretty much this, IMO.  Also, Izzy may only want to play specific songs....so maybe he may only be on stage a portion of the time.

5 minutes ago, downzy said:

I do understand that case with Izzy, but I really don't know why they are not including Matt Sorrum, he is pretty reliable and he should be up there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I do understand that case with Izzy, but I really don't know why they are not including Matt Sorrum, he is pretty reliable and he should be up there. 

I have no clue who is going to be in the upcoming lineup, but if I had to guess, Frank would be selected over Matt for a variety of reasons.  First, the band is likely going to pay Frank a lot less than they would have paid Matt.  Two, conflict of personalities and matters of loyalty.  Frank has been a fairly loyal guy to Axl whereas Matt and Axl seem to butt heads from time to time.  Also consider that this reunion is likely being operated mostly on Axl's terms, meaning he gets to fill the positions that are not already filled by original/classic members.  I'm sure Slash and Duff would prefer Matt over Frank, but if Axl insists on Frank, I doubt it's something either Duff or Slash would dig in on and risk the entire operation.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

I have no clue who is going to be in the upcoming lineup, but if I had to guess, Frank would be selected over Matt for a variety of reasons.  First, the band is likely going to pay Frank a lot less than they would have paid Matt.  Two, conflict of personalities and matters of loyalty.  Frank has been a fairly loyal guy to Axl whereas Matt and Axl seem to butt heads from time to time.  Also consider that this reunion is likely being operated mostly on Axl's terms, meaning he gets to fill the positions that are not already filled by original/classic members.  I'm sure Slash and Duff would prefer Matt over Frank, but if Axl insists on Frank, I doubt it's something either Duff or Slash would dig in on and risk the entire operation.  

That's a good point. For me, it's not like Matt sorum is a deal breaker as far as the reunion goes. I can live with it as long as we can get the original 5 on stage at some point. 

1 minute ago, Billsfan said:

That's a good point. For me, it's not like Matt sorum is a deal breaker as far as the reunion goes. I can live with it as long as we can get the original 5 on stage at some point. 

If it were the other way around, and Matt was the original/classic drummer and Steven was the UYI drummer, people would obviously feel differently.  

Ultimately, it's the drummer.  Anyone who has ever played in any rock band will know how little concern there is for the drummer by the other members of the band.  It's not like we're talking about Don Henley or Keith Moon here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

If it were the other way around, and Matt was the original/classic drummer and Steven was the UYI drummer, people would obviously feel differently.  

Ultimately, it's the drummer.  Anyone who has ever played in any rock band will know how little concern there is for the drummer by the other members of the band.  It's not like we're talking about Don Henley or Keith Moon here.  

Or Candiria!  When their drummer quit the band years ago they put out press releases saying that without their drummer they could not go on without him.  Just wanted to throw that out there :)

But overall I totally agree with you.  Would I trade Slash or Duff in order to see Matt Sorum or Steven Adler instead?  To put it bluntly, no fucking way. 

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

If Izzy doesn't like to tour, why did he make guest appearances at past global GN'R shows, when he wasn't even considered a band member?

Making an appearance here or there isn't the same as touring. 

I can't imagine Izzy not being part of it at all, if he joined the CD line up of GnR on stage then he will definitely make an appearance when Duff and Slash are part of it, I would think. But I can't imagine him being there fulltime either, it's probably too much of a commitment for him. He hasn't toured or been really active with all of this for a really long time now and he's probably fine with it that way. I just hope he's not going to be there for only one or two songs if he does make an appearance.

22 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

Or Candiria!  When their drummer quit the band years ago they put out press releases saying that without their drummer they could not go on without him.  Just wanted to throw that out there :)

But overall I totally agree with you.  Would I trade Slash or Duff in order to see Matt Sorum or Steven Adler instead?  To put it bluntly, no fucking way. 

Well, there are the odd exception (which is why I mentioned Don Henley and Keith Moon).  But honestly, if you talk to most bands, less thought or concern is given to the drummer than most other people in the band (assuming they can play).  

50 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Surely Alice Cooper is privy to whatever the fuck is going on!

You can't tell me having both Duff and Sorum in your other band doesn't give you answers to all the questions you have!

Maybe he isnt trying to let the cat out of the bag. Or Maybe Duff isn't going around blabbing to everyone who's in or isnt