STEVEN ADLER ON DRUMS!! Out to Get Me! LIVE!!!!

3 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

Enough with the "what can or can't Steven play" stuff.

Bottom line is that the ULTIMATE set list would be:

1.  Every song from Appetite start to finish.

2.  Patience, Used to Love Her, Reckless Life

3.  Civil War, KOHD, and a few Illusion songs which Steven originally did demos for.

Done and done.

Exactly. There a large faction of fans that don't seem to realize that many of the Illusions songs were played back during the club and early AFD tour days and that Steven is quite familiar with many of them.

That aside, I don't understand the 1 dimensional thinking that's going on here. FERRER and FORTIS are playing material they didn't have direct involvement or affiliation with. Same goes for SLASH and DUFF with the CD stuff. With some rehearsal, STEVEN can certainly do the same. Whatever UYI tracks he's unfamiliar with could easily be learned.

We already know that he's either played or rehearsed (in the past) Don't Cry, Perfect Crime, Back Off Bitch, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me, Civil War, Yesterdays, KOHD, and Locomotive. Perhaps even more. At least 5 of those songs are currently performed or are on the ALT setlist. And for others that are already on the setlist that he may not be familiar with (Coma, Estranged, NR, YCBM, LALD, DTJ), it's not like he can't learn them.

Having said that, I don't see his role expanding beyond AFD material considering that Frank is still the band's official drummer. IMO, the best we can hope for, on this current tour anyway, is for his role to expand to a couple more songs. We can probably rule out PC since it always closes the show and it's highly doubtful AXL would pull FRANK or RICHARD from the closer. I also think it's doubtful they bring him on stage real early in the set, so It's So Easy, Brownstone and WTTJ are probably out too.

The likeliest of additions are Rocket Queen, SCOM, Nighttrain or Think About You (from the ALT setlist). Of course, they could always change up the order of the setlist to accommodate whatever. But that seems unlikely given their strict adherence thus far. It'll probably take IZZY's sudden involvement for a shakeup like that to occur.

Edited by thunderram

15 minutes ago, theconspirator said:

Has anybody noticed how much the GNR social media pages have been posting about adler compared to Frank? It's just interesting how much more attention he's getting. Frank and Fortus are more or less absent from social media besides live pics. 

well, of course. Steven is one of the alumni. Axl has a friggin tattoo of his skull on his arm.

He's one of the original "appetite 5", and depending to who you ask, the single greatest rock band to ever grace the planet.

frank looks like he could be your uncle, and richard is as good an Izzy impersonator as any (both overdoing their roles to; they need to tone their act down)

Edited by action

On 7/8/2016 at 9:43 AM, classicrawker said:

great to see Steven's million dollar smile behind the drums again.,,,,,,,..nothing against Frank but Steven really does add something to the bands on stage presence IMHO..........

hopefully we will get a full reunion with Steven and Izzy at some point in the future........

But I have to say I have really been impressed with Axl's performances this tour. He has his swagger back, is moving all over the stage and his vocals have some of the old  power again........the man seems to finally have found peace and happiness again..........

yes,yes and YES!!! :headbang:

On 7/9/2016 at 7:23 PM, SerenityScorp said:

:popcorn:

i need to use that for the next show! :P

On 7/7/2016 at 10:14 AM, Gackt said:

Very happy for Adler, looked like he had the time of his life playing with the band and being on the big stage again after over two decades

these last two gigs i have never seen anyone look happier than Mr. Steven "Popcorn" Adler and i am overjoyed for him! :dance:

1 hour ago, fallglimmer said:

Frank isn't going anywhere, Steven will keep doing his two or so songs a night from time to time and that will be that. He isn't coming back full time.

Please source that for us.  A vocal minority continues to make declaratory statements like this.

7 minutes ago, JustanUrchin said:

Please source that for us.  A vocal minority continues to make declaratory statements like this.

No a incompetent minority says Adler should come back full time. The competent Majority knows that Frank is the best for the time being since Adler's health is a major issue. The stroke and the battle with addiction have taken its toll. I would love for him to come back and be able to physically and mentally do a full tour with out a secondary drummer. However that it is very unlikely.

Edited by Randy Jesus

51 minutes ago, Randy Jesus said:

No a incompetent minority says Adler should come back full time. The competent Majority knows that Frank is the best for the time being since Adler's health is a major issue. The stroke and the battle with addiction have taken its toll. I would love for him to come back and be able to physically and mentally do a full tour with out a secondary drummer. However that it is very unlikely.

Then call me a member of the 'incompetent minority' as Stevie both sounds and looks fantastic.

• Like 1

a lesser man wouldn't recover from back surgery so quick. he has performed full concerts mere weeks ago with his solo band. he's sober for a couple of years now. his performance is stellar and is one of the few members in gnr who dont look like a live taco bell commercial.

there is not a single reason he shouldnt get more songs as time goes on.

if steven keeps this up, and very soon too, frank needs to do what's right. 

Edited by action
  • Like 3

I think the primary reason why Frank will be around for the full tour no matter how many songs Steven plays each night is that Axl, Slash and Duff probably can't take the risk in case Steve falls back into drink/drugs. I don't think it has anything to do with Steven not being able to learn and play Illusions or CD tracks he's never played before. 

If Steven had been sober for the last 10 years and they could 100% rely on him then there's probably a good chance he would have been in from the start as the main drummer. 

• Like 1

People keep putting this on Frank as if he has a choice in the matter. Frank is playing what he's playing and Steven is playing what he's playing because Axl and probaly the other 2 have decided they want it that way.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Original GNR said:

I think the primary reason why Frank will be around for the full tour no matter how many songs Steven plays each night is that Axl, Slash and Duff probably can't take the risk in case Steve falls back into drink/drugs. I don't think it has anything to do with Steven not being able to learn and play Illusions or CD tracks he's never played before. 

If Steven had been sober for the last 10 years and they could 100% rely on him then there's probably a good chance he would have been in from the start as the main drummer. 

but Slash and Duff both have relapsed too...many times over. Slash has relapsed AFTER he was found clinically dead. Even Slash isn't sober 10 years, he relapsed in 2007

At the end of the day, i wouldn't bet money on ANY of them being sober between this and the next three years

why is Steven being singled out, hounded like a fox in a hole?

Edited by action
  • Like 2

I so bad want Steven back for good in the band. If I can't have that dream fulfilled, I want him back at every AFD song. Frank can do the rest of the songs. I couldn't care less. But Steven should be back for all the AFD classics please! Asap. They all sound so much better and groovier and.....honest to the original GnR with Steven on the drums.

Hopefully I'm not the only one with this opinions and wishes.

24 minutes ago, action said:

but Slash and Duff both have relapsed too...many times over. Slash has relapsed AFTER he was found clinically dead. Even Slash isn't sober 10 years, he relapsed in 2007

At the end of the day, i wouldn't bet money on ANY of them being sober between this and the next three years

why is Steven being singled out, hounded like a fox in a hole?

Duff has been sober for a long, long time and Slash has been clean for almost a decade. They've both also toured extensively with VR, Slash & Myles etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as anyone that Steven is there and I'd love his role to be extended to drumming on all of the Appetite and Lies material. I'm just giving my opinion on why Steven wasn't made the sole drummer - to me it's down to the number of times he's relapsed even in recent years. 

Have to say though Steve is looking great at the moment and long may that continue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustanUrchin said:

Minority?! It's common sense. What evidence do you possibly have to support a theory that Frank's going anywhere? I think before you challenge something like that you should source something yourself.

2 hours ago, Original GNR said:

Well if you think about live nation has something to do with this, right? There's a lot of money being put into this thing and an incredibly significant amount at stake if shit hit the fan and the whole thing blew up.. Frank doesn't have the track record Adler does. Adler could probably learn the material he's not used to and play, sure, but I'm sure it's not just Axl slash and Duff deciding that Steven should not be the sole drummer. Frank is reliable, independent and just not someone you have to worry about as far as showing up for work goes.

I agree with you. Never say never with Adler but it's pretty clear to me Frank is the guy everybody wants because they know the show will go on no matter what. So, baby steps for Adler and we'll see where things go...

6 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

Having two drummers is trying way too hard.

If they want Steven in, then have him learn all the songs. I mean he wants back in so playing all the GnR catalogue should not be a problem for him.

Is it trying way too hard?  I consider Steven's thing more of a guest appearance than touring with 2 drummers. Just like when the Stones had Mick Taylor back a few years ago

• Like 1

On 7/7/2016 at 0:15 AM, thunderram said:

And there's really no good reason for IZZY not to be up on that stage with them at some point. Steven was the wildcard due to all the negative history of how he was fired from the band and subsequently sued them. Logic suggested that, of the 5, Steven would be the most likely not to work out. However, now that he's made an appearance and proved that AXL, SLASH and DUFF have mended fences with him to a point, the odds of the 5 getting together has seemingly skyrocketed.

Unless there is something recent we don't know about, we know IZZY and AXL have been on good terms as recently as 2014 and they've played together numerous times during the past 6-7 years. We also know that DUFF and SLASH worked with IZZY and were on fair terms when they started "The Project" circa 2002.

Unless IZZY has some unknown grudge against STEVEN after all these years, I can't imagine any reason for him not to get up on the stage at least once in the near future.

Someone tell me I'm wrong. Wait, nevermind -- I don't want to hear that!

a huge reason as to why Izzy quit was due to Steven's firing, as it totally screwed up the rhythm section.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Then call me a member of the 'incompetent minority' as Stevie both sounds and looks fantastic.

Incompetent is a reference to the lack of understanding why he isn't. We all would love for him to come back. I agree that his style on the old songs sounds better.

On 7/7/2016 at 0:57 PM, Tom-Ass said:

The part when he is playing the Cymbals at the beginning of My Michelle was chilling.

such an incredible moment and sound, he nailed it perfectly. love how he stands and really focuses on his technique.

On 7/7/2016 at 0:59 PM, Redout said:

Whats funny to me is as good as Steven did sound, the cymbals at the beginning of michelle sound terrible, that could just be my picky engineer ears though. 

no offense, but you've lost your fucking mind.

• Like 4

On Thursday, July 07, 2016 at 0:59 PM, Redout said:

Whats funny to me is as good as Steven did sound, the cymbals at the beginning of michelle sound terrible, that could just be my picky engineer ears though. 

They sound fine to my music major ears :)

• Like 1