New Mick Wall book, "Last Of The Giants"

22 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

I looked again. Apparently I am too late in trying to get it. It doesn't seem to be available anymore. I'll have to keep an eye out for it and see if it comes back.

From what I see the Kindle edition is still available:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERWBODS/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess people who took sides in the reunion have to back pedal to save their careers.

Maybe Mick thought he was helping Slash and Duff? No one stands up to Axl, I'll be the guy to do that. But when you take such a stance if they kiss and make up, you're left with your dick in the wind.

He probably thought that was the end of Axl. But some how Axl survived and now he's back on top. Why he wanted to bury Axl so bad I don't know. 

Playing with Slash and Duff totally renders WAR irelevant. People say CD had  epic label support but if you look at the CD release, a botched booklet, no video release, it doesn't look like it. There's evidence contrary. Wall's WAR is like a prime example where the media were out to get Axl. This is the hatchet job and character assassination everyone believed about Axl. 

So I can see why he withdrew it when he wants to write a more kiss ass book. There's a whole new chapter to write and he wrote himself out of it. 

Now I'm going to amazon to buy the kindle version. After all it's only rock n roll. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It comes up, but I get a "This title is not currently available for purchase" message and it shows the hardback and softback available. :shrugs:

28 minutes ago, wasted said:

Now I'm going to amazon to buy the kindle version. After all it's only rock n roll. 

If you can get the kindle version, let me know. I am curious if I am the only one who gets the message. I'd think it was some setting on my computer, but I can't get it through my phone either.

27 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

It comes up, but I get a "This title is not currently available for purchase" message and it shows the hardback and softback available. :shrugs:

If you can get the kindle version, let me know. I am curious if I am the only one who gets the message. I'd think it was some setting on my computer, but I can't get it through my phone either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01ERWBODS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480039327&sr=8-1&keywords=mick+wall

I haven't pulled the trigger at 9.99.

9-11 the Coup Against America - The Pentagon Analysis is 1.99. 

10 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Wasn't Mick Wall the one who told us about Steven's back injury before it was even official? Sure he has contacts from within the band. I remember him saying that it would have ruined the surprise if he told us about Steven playing Cincinnatti

No, I do not believe so.....pretty sure that info came from Mitch Lafon and then confirmed by other sources close or formerly close to the band.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wasted said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01ERWBODS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480039327&sr=8-1&keywords=mick+wall

I haven't pulled the trigger at 9.99.

9-11 the Coup Against America - The Pentagon Analysis is 1.99. 

That is a bit too pricey for my taste. I can definitely wait until it comes down in price.

For Pete's sake people, buy the proper book if you are going to buy it. Nothing replicates the delight of turning the pages.

Kindle my arse.

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Why he wanted to bury Axl so bad I don't know. 

Well that is fairly obvious. ''Mick Wall at Kerrang/Bob Grucciono Jr....''?

This is a review from Amazon it's definitely going on my Christmas list.

You'd think there'd be little left to say about GNR. You'd think Mick Wall, especially, would have little left to say, considering his previous extensive chronicling of both the band and Axl. You'd be wrong.
Certainly, the band themselves offer little new insight but Mick has coaxed fascinating analysis and reflections from those closest to the principals. Alan Niven, in particular, and Doug Goldstein, speak frankly to Mick and they make for gripping reading.

The book has many strengths but two, in particular, stand out. Firstly, Mick sets GNR in their correct context, which is as a genuine cultural phenomenon. This would be of value to any reader but especially to those who weren't there at the time. Thus Mick expertly lays out for the uninitiated just what all the fuss was about. Secondly, the book brings the story fully up to date and while the years up to Slash leaving grip, no matter how many times they are re-told, it's possible that the final third of the book is even more compelling than that which precedes it.

It's difficult to think of a better account of the GNR story and this really merits the description 'definitive.' Wall's been on top of his impressive game since his Led Zeop biography and here the purple patch continues. The pace is perfect, the narrative is compelling and it it's all wonderfully well-written. The perfect stocking-filler, in fact. Go buy. It's the business.

"I hit Slash with that on five different occasions. The fifth time that he went code blue, we were in San Francisco on the [1992] Metallica tour. I got a call at three o’clock in the morning: Slash is dead outside the elevator. I ran outside with the Narcan. Hit him in the chest. The EMT showed up, took him away, and myself and a couple of the other guys, we kicked the shit out of the drug dealers.’

This is a fascinating thread and a truly unique development on Wall's part.  Not sure I've ever seen an author publicly recall and recant his own work.

When I first read about this, I did not want to accept his "apology" nor will I ever buy his new book.  BUT...

As I look back upon my own life and my many mistakes, I kinda wish I could take some of my stories out of circulation!  No regrets, bitch.  Keep going and Keep smiling.

Hope this guy can find some peace, for his own sake.

I respect this:

As for the book, the biog I wrote on Axl, over 10 years ago now, that I can do something about. It’s not that the facts are all wrong or any of that. But the spirit is mean, disgruntled, unworthy. I’m sorry I wrote it. Sorry I wasn’t man enough to see the bigger picture. Sorry I squeezed all of the peace, love and understanding out of the book. I’d just had a heart attack, was angry at the world, thought I was about to check out and rather than reach for the light, I blew out the candles then sat there in the dark mouldering.

I’m not like that anymore.

Wonder how he summarises Nugnr?

''A bunch of people were fired. A bunch of musicians left. Two years pass; more overdubs added. Two more producers were fired. A pointless tour happened. A bunch of more overdubs were added. Another person left. Another replacement came. Another pointless tour happened..........''.

He has apologized for the tone of the previous book W.A.R. but, unless I missed something, not the facts he wrote in the book............hard to know what to make of this whether it is a heart felt apology from a man who was goging through bad times when he wrote W.A.R. or just someone looking to get back in Axl's good graces and back on the gravy train.............in any case you can read large excerpts on Amazon and from what i read it looked prety interesting.......After I read the new Stones Altamont book I may give this a read.

• Like 1

It's a good read. This book is more balanced. It's not just Axl destroyed GNR. In the context of the rest of craziness, it's like does it really matter? There were a lot more worse things that could have happened. 

What I came here to ask is about these lyrics Axl quotes in the book. 

Call us violent

I say we're a product of our environment

Call us hostile

Babe, we got to survive

what song is that from?

I don't know the Lost Illusion stuff. Or is it lyrics from UYI song? 

On 25/11/2016 at 2:52 AM, DieselDaisy said:

For Pete's sake people, buy the proper book if you are going to buy it. Nothing replicates the delight of turning the pages.

Kindle my arse.

What if that was the attitude before books existed?

"Don't write it down! Word of mouth is the way!"

"Why are you using paper? Nothing beats good old stone!"

Ad nauseam.

Just now, AlexC said:

What if that was the attitude before books existed?

"Don't write it down! Word of mouth is the way!"

"Why are you using paper? Nothing beats good old stone!"

Ad nauseam.

I still stand by my point that nothing beats proper books, the joy of turning the pages, the smell of old antique volumes; none of this can be replicated through the soulless and depressing experience of reading a book on a digital device. I have a tremendously large book collection and simply refuse to buy kindles or any of that bollocks - accuse me of being a Luddite all you want.

It is the same with Vinyl.

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I still stand by my point that nothing beats proper books, the joy of turning the pages, the smell of old antique volumes; none of this can be replicated through the soulless and depressing experience of reading a book on a digital device. I have a tremendously large book collection and simply refuse to buy kindles or any of that bollocks - accuse me of being a Luddite all you want.

It is the same with Vinyl.

I also like books and vinyl. I have quite a decent vinyl collection. But digital is still great for speed and convenience. I can appreciate both.

Just now, AlexC said:

I also like books and vinyl. I have quite a decent vinyl collection. But digital is still great for speed and convenience. I can appreciate both.

I've made allowances with the vinyl thing myself in terms of convenience - and I have had to when you get somebody like Izzy only releasing things through the internet like a wanker! - but books I see as something sacred. You're willing to pay for a file on a computer? You do not own the book! I cannot quite grasp the conception - cannot get my head around the idea of buying a file.

I'm too old to change with the times I'm afraid.

• Like 1

To me it depends on the book. I wouldn't buy literature, for example, in digital form, but I have no problem with books like this; in fact digital is practical and space saving. Also books of the "informative" kind or these that contain sources for research etc are quite convenient in digital form, as you can search for a word/phrase.