A guess at the reason we are gettin so many CD tracks live

2 hours ago, Natty said:

I didn t say that the Show shall be shorter; I said IF they have to include so many cover Songs that are not GNR Songs I would prefer a shorter Show. I am here to hear GNR not Songs from other bands. OK? I love the fact they Play 3 hours, but the 3 hours should be filled with GNR Songs no covers please.... so don't generalize please that I wanted a shorter Show.

Personally, I find it very exitiing when a band plays covers live. Songs you already know played in a different way, if a band does that well, it can be amazing! And covers are that band's songs to me. i.e. Knocking on Heaven's Door by GN'R is a whole different song than Bob Dylan's or Clapton's version.

On topic of CD, I'd have nothing against it if they'd play the whole album live, fortunately more and more people become aware that it is a great album now that Duff And Slash play it.

Edited by Zurimor

2 hours ago, Natty said:

I know. So what? I love the covers that are on a GNR Album like KOHD, Mama Kin, LALD  etc.

I just dont like CD Songs (exept Better and This is Love) and ACDC covers or covers from Other Bands that arent on a GNR Album.

You sound like you want them to make a setlist just for you. 

On any single album or setlist, there will be always be at least one song you don't like. Know what, just skip it or do something else, idk, FB, SnapChat or go to the bar while it's playing. Or just stand there and listen, maybe they will play it in a way that will make the song better (like what Slash does with This I Love). 

I think it's great they pay their respects to artists who influenced them. Also we get to hear a new take on a song. They don't have to do GNR only stuff. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lio said:

Some time ago I read on this forum someone didn't want new music from this line-up, now I'm reading someone wants the show to be shorter. My head is spinning here. Sorry, I can't take this seriously.

At this stage (they are all in mid 50's or so) I don't need new music.  They were broken up for close to 25 years, I'm happy as hell hearing the classics off or AFD, Lies, UYI's etc...that's all I need.  They still have a shitload of those songs I hope to hear live again.  No way new music would ever touch the expectations I'd all have.  The 'newest' stuff we have is Slash owning the CD songs and playing them properly.    **edited for @Lies They Tell

Edited by Original

19 minutes ago, king2vo said:

You sound like you want them to make a setlist just for you. 

On any single album or setlist, there will be always be at least one song you don't like. Know what, just skip it or do something else, idk, FB, SnapChat or go to the bar while it's playing. Or just stand there and listen, maybe they will play it in a way that will make the song better (like what Slash does with This I Love). 

I think it's great they pay their respects to artists who influenced them. Also we get to hear a new take on a song. They don't have to do GNR only stuff. 

Hi, don't we all want a setlist just for ourselves if we are honest? Everyone has his favourites...

Well usually I am front row during GNR concerts so I cannot go to the bar or do something else because I would loose my place in first row :-)

But you know what: it s only a minor Thing: in the end I am happy that they are back on stage again. I never thought it would happen. So not wanting them to Play so many "covers" is to be understood as minimal critizism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

A lot of people hate that album and/or believe it is an illegitimate album.

And a lot of people don't. Who wins/loses? 

3 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

They play about 26 songs per night, so 4 or 5 songs from ChiDem isn't so bad. The setlist has all the hits, it has UYI deep cuts (Coma, Estranged, DTJ) and it has ChiDem songs for us who like that era too. There's literally something for everyone. Though, in all fairness, I think they should play Slither at least once. But I think the setlist is pretty damn good now. It covers all the eras.

Just my two cents...

Estranged is a single with a huge video and even a making of that video released. I wouldn't call that a deep cut tbh

4 minutes ago, Original said:

No way new music would ever touch the expectations we'd all have.  

Why do people use the words "all" and "everyone" so often. You don't know what's happening in other people's minds, so don't speak for anyone but yourself.

I loved Chinese Democracy and if the next album is anything like that, I'm happy. Will it be anything like that? I don't see why not?

We've heard Going Down and we've heard snippets of Jackie Chan/Checkmate and The General. It's all been great, if you ask me. We've also heard people like Sebastian Bach praise The General and we know that Soulmonster is a track that Axl is proud of. Everything points to the direction that the unheard material is great and especially now that Slash and Duff are onboard, it should be even more likely that the music they'll release will be good.

But in the end I just want some cool new rock n' roll music. For me it doesn't even have to be as good as CD was. It doesn't have to be as good as UYI albums were. I don't have huge expectations. I just want new GNR music.

Obviously some people will be disappointed. There's no way you could ever please everybody. It's a fact that some people will be disappointed with the next GNR album, no matter how it sounds. But who cares about that. I just hope that they make a new GNR record. Not for the people who bitch and whine about everything, but for the people who actually like GNR music.

• Like 1

I would love to hear more songs from Chinese Democracy. I hope they keep that extra CD song in the encores for the rest of the leg (especially Stockholm). I would be extremely happy to see Catcher, Prostitute or TWAT. And while I'm dreaming why not add Street of Dreams, Madagascar and Shacklers to the set :)

I love the old songs and I am very happy that Coma, Estranged and Civil War is in the set now (which it wasn't when I last saw them in 2010) but given the choice I would probably swap them out for CD songs (not sure about estranged, but the other 2 for sure).

5 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Why do people use the words "all" and "everyone" so often. You don't know what's happening in other people's minds, so don't speak for anyone but yourself.

I loved Chinese Democracy and if the next album is anything like that, I'm happy. Will it be anything like that? I don't see why not?

We've heard Going Down and we've heard snippets of Jackie Chan/Checkmate and The General. It's all been great, if you ask me. We've also heard people like Sebastian Bach praise The General and we know that Soulmonster is a track that Axl is proud of. Everything points to the direction that the unheard material is great and especially now that Slash and Duff are onboard, it should be even more likely that the music they'll release will be good.

But in the end I just want some cool new rock n' roll music. For me it doesn't even have to be as good as CD was. It doesn't have to be as good as UYI albums were. I don't have huge expectations. I just want new GNR music.

Obviously some people will be disappointed. There's no way you could ever please everybody. It's a fact that some people will be disappointed with the next GNR album, no matter how it sounds. But who cares about that. I just hope that they make a new GNR record. Not for the people who bitch and whine about everything, but for the people who actually like GNR music.

Good point.  Speaking of -- We've heard Going Down  ..... we've heard snippets of Jackie Chan/Checkmate and The General..... we know that Soulmonster....

I'll amend my post to "I".  LOL

15 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yay... :wacko:

If 50% of the band isn't appealing, then you will never be happy with what the band does.

That's the problem with this forum,  too many people want GNR to be what they feel GNR should be rather than enjoying what we have!

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Lio said:

So from last night you'd scratch Black Hole Sun and The Seeker? Or LALD, KOHD and Attitude too? The Godfather? It's a genuine question. GNR have always done covers either instrumental or not, half of Lies are covers. Just curious to know where you'd draw the line.

I would agree with you if they played a two hour set, but they play three hours. Plus many people there seem to enjoy the covers, and the band does too. So I see no harm in it.

LALD and KOHD are hits. The big majority of people attending the show want to hear those songs. I don't care too much about either Attitude or The Godfather. They can replace them for something else. But something worthy, not for If The World and The Pink Panther. They swap Don't Cry, Patience, My Micelle, Out Ta Get Me, Used to Lover Her. I think it makes more sense to keep those song and get rid of The Seeker, BHS and TIL. I don't have a problem if in one show they play CD and the next show they play TWAT. But not four CD songs every show

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

The reason is clear as shit, deep down y'all already know why they keep playing this. This CD record is registered under the names of Guns N Roses, and by legal status is valid and can be called as Guns N Roses album. 

Yep, it says GNR on the cover, it was Axl's record. Axl is still the boss. Slash and Duff want money. They will play the CD songs. That's it.

There's no other reason than Axl trying to validate his solo years and Slash and Duff ok'ing it so the reunion can move forward so they all can get more money.

If they had any artistic drive inside them, reunion would've kicked off with at least a new single. They have no desire other than playing their hits, some covers and making Axl happy.

Are they wrong? Well, we all work for money right?

Is it a little frustrating/embarassing? Yes, it is.

24 minutes ago, Padme said:

I think it makes more sense to keep those song and get rid of The Seeker, BHS and TIL.

You're aware that BHS is their tribute to Chris Cornell?

So what you do is forbid them to pay tribute to a friend (at least to some of them) for a song you favor more, you really should pay more respect to a band you claim to like. As a fan you should never propose things like that, but at least respect their feelings. After all they're just humans, too, and probably are really sad about their loss. Just my two cents.

Edited by Zurimor

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I think they're playing Chinese Democracy songs at a Guns N' Roses concert because they're songs from a Guns N' Roses album. 

Yes, but it is an irrelevant album that had no impact among the general public. That wasn't the case with AFD, Lies and UYI. Keep in mind that before this reunion NuGN'R was only playing South America and Vegas. That shows how little people care about CD and NuGN'R

Just now, Zurimor said:

You're aware that BHS is their tribute to Chris Cornell?

So what you do is fobid them to pay tribute to a friend (at least for some of them) for a song you favor more, you really should pay more respect to a band you claim to like. As a fan you should never propose things like that, but at least respect their feelings. Just my two cents...

Yes, was it necessary to play it two shows in a row?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

Yes, but it is an irrelevant album that had no impact among the general public. That wasn't the case with AFD, Lies and UYI. Keep in mind that before this reunion NuGN'R was only playing South America and Vegas. That shows how little people care about CD and NuGN'R

Yes, was it necessary to play it two shows in a row?

That's up to them, isn't it? It's probably also a way for them to express their sorrow, they're musicians and most of that sort I know a very sensitive people. In the end that's what music is about, feelings and emotions.

Also, what you say is not quite true, they toured Europe in something like 2012 and general public never is a good indicator for quality. Just take a band like Mudhoney, almost no impact on general public but quality-wise they're at least on the same level as GN'R.

Edited by Zurimor

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here is a damning statistic for you. 42% of the current setlist is either Chinese or a cover!

This is exactly the problem.  Too much of both of these, trim out one or the other or a bit of both and play another actual Guns song or two.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

You're a shining example of what's wrong with this place. Jesus..

why? Nothing wrong with what Padme wrote. It s her opinion and it is legit;

Then I am also a shining example. The Point is not that paying Tribute once or twice is not a nice Thing to do.. the Point is we have so much GNR Songs that could have been played instead in Spain.

If one cannot express their own opinion the Forum is useless.

1 hour ago, Izzymacbeth said:

And a lot of people don't. Who wins/loses? 

The majority of people are entirely indifferent to that record I suspect judging by its sales figures and impact.

I'm simply saying that if you are a person who disregards the legitimacy of Chinese, which a great many do as evident by these discussions, and are there to see 'Guns N' Roses songs' - i.e. songs penned by some combination of Messrs. Rose/Stradlin/Mckagan/Hudson and not covers - 37%, well over a third of the show, may be completely unappealing and uninspiring. That is a whopping segment of the show!

People are wondering why other people complain: there is your answer. It does not affect me personally as I'll not be attending this tour, although I do not believe Chinese is 'Guns N' Roses' despite what it says on the tin (for the record).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The majority of people are entirely indifferent to that record I suspect judging by its sales figures and impact.

I'm simply saying that if you are a person who disregards the legitimacy of Chinese, which a great many do as evident by these discussions, and are there to see 'Guns N' Roses songs' - i.e. songs penned by some combination of Messrs. Rose/Stradlin/Mckagan/Hudson and not covers - 37%, well over a third of the show, may be completely unappealing and uninspiring. That is a whopping segment of the show!

People are wondering why other people complain: there is your answer. It does not affect me personally as I'll not be attending this tour, although I do not believe Chinese is 'Guns N' Roses' despite what it says on the tin (for the record).

Again exactly this....and the defense some give for why LALD and KOHD are played is bc they are "hits" and a lot of the casual fans are there to hear the hits.

folks, I hate to break it to you as many of you like to revise history, but CD didn't have any hits....so there's no excuse for playing anything of that record saying its a "hit".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Original said:

Good point.  Speaking of -- We've heard Going Down  ..... we've heard snippets of Jackie Chan/Checkmate and The General..... we know that Soulmonster....

I'll amend my post to "I".  LOL

Lol, yeah. I was actually aware when I wrote my post that this might sound a little stupid if I use the word "we" when I just corrected you about it. So yeah, I get your point.

At least I didn't say "we all" :P

But yeah. Didn't mean to nitpick. It's just that some people on this forum seem to genuinely feel that their opinion is pretty much everyone's opinion. But you don't seem to be one of them, so nevermind.

• Like 1