What Music Shit Are You Watching? (videos, interviews, docu's etc)

Len Cnut

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Is that Bob Pridden?

In the thumbnail? Good question. It does look kinda like him, but not so much like Pridden to my eyes. But with aging, maybe I could see it - and who else would be hanging out playing Palladinos rig? Someone else is 'producing' the sessions in the vid.

I listened to interviews with Roger and Pete on Music Now recently and I dont think they mentioned who was producing. This vid makes it seem that if Priddens involved its in more of an Executive Producer role.

16 minutes ago, EvanG said:

He was a total dick, but I don't think he was faking it... Get In The Van gives a good insight into the mind of Rollins.

I've read it, as well as owning all the Black Flag albums and seeing all his spoken word DVDs, I'm not saying I don't like him but...the hardman thing is just so transparent?  He's blatantly like a soft bullied kid that reacted to it by becoming a bit of an arsehole, though in his defence you kinda had to have a hard exterior to get on in those sort of envoirnments, they were some rough hustles those punk gigs.  But I draw the line at picking on little weedy kids whoose bodyweight is equivalent to your penis.  Lets be honest, Rollins is a man of limited talent with an abundance of energy and work ethic. 

Edited by Len Cnut

29 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I've read it, as well as owning all the Black Flag albums and seeing all his spoken word DVDs, I'm not saying I don't like him but...the hardman thing is just so transparent?  He's blatantly like a soft bullied kid that reacted to it by becoming a bit of an arsehole, though in his defence you kinda had to have a hard exterior to get on in those sort of envoirnments, they were some rough hustles those punk gigs.  But I draw the line at picking on little weedy kids whoose bodyweight is equivalent to your penis.  Lets be honest, Rollins is a man of limited talent with an abundance of energy and work ethic. 

He's a nonconformist, even in his own scene, and I respect that about him. But he didn't seem like the nicest guy to hang out with in those days but he didn't seem to be out of line too much... same with that kid, he's acting arrogant but he could have been a real asshole, instead he just goes into a discussion with him. It's the same with the infamous Nardwuar interview from 1998, he's acting like a dick at first, just being himself, I guess, but then throughout the interview he realizes that Nardwuar really knows his shit and isn't just an annoying character, so he decides to answer all his questions. But when you look at recent interviews, he seems humble and couldn't be nicer. I guess people change.

I agree about him in music, he says in every interview that he had no musical talent, it was because of his screaming, hard work and energy that he got to where he was.

He is very defensive, and I can relate to that to some extent, it's like in this clip... these kids actually worship him, but he immediately thinks they're making fun of him.

Edited by EvanG

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

He's a nonconformist, even in his own scene, and I respect that about him. But he didn't seem like the nicest guy to hang out with on those days but he didn't seem to be out of line too much... same with that kid, he's acting arrogant but he could have been a real asshole, instead he just goes into a discussion with him. It's the same with the infamous Nardwuar interview from 1998, he's acting like a dick at first, just being himself, I guess, but then throughout the interview he realizes that Nardwuar really knows his shit and isn't just an annoying character, so he decides to answer all his questions. But when you look at recent interviews, he seems humble and couldn't be nicer. I guess people change.

He is very defensive, and I can relate to that to some extent, it's like in this clip... these kids actually worship him, but he immediately thinks they're making fun of him.

Yeah, I've seen that clip too and thats sort of what I'm getting at.  I don't think he's particularly a non conformist in his scene either.  I do like him but...I dunno, to be honest he was the least of all the singers Black Flag had and like...what he has achieved in life is through force of personality and not a lot besides, which by itself is admirable I guess.