08/05/16 - Houston, TX - NRG Stadium

downzy

11 minutes ago, Lancelot said:

I was there and I agree. Maybe it's all the humidity down here, it lubricates the vocal cords. lol

If that's the case, Arenas he's gonna be amazing! 
Is it fair to say he got fairly close to 2010 levels last night and coupled with the fact we have Slash and Duff, even better as

a whole package, right? :)

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

Short Review from Section 605:

1. Skrillex... just no.
  2. Axl = Best in years
  3. Slash = Guitar Deity
  4. Frank was off in Rocket Queen for a bit, and a couple of other songs, BUT the acoustics at NRG Stadium have a HUGE echo, so I can't really pick on him.
  5. Guy (who reminded me of "My Name is Earl") kept yelling "WOO!" and "WRECK IT UP!" in my ear on rotation for two hours. Like a Woody the Cowboy doll pulling a string for the same two phrases all night.
  6. The Seeker is WAY better live, and I gained respect for it.
  7. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife when Axl's piano broke. Quite honestly, Dizzy Reed saved the song. Glad Axl laughed it off.
  8. Best Concert Ever
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Use Your Delusion II said:

I'll also add that Better was incredible and, in my opinion, it's been one of the worst songs for Axl so far on this tour.  This I Love was pretty much vocal perfection.  The ending of Coma looked like it was a breeze.  What the hell got into him last night?

Well, Charles Barkley once said Houston has the best strip clubs. Maybe Axl had visited one or two and was REALLY in a good mood.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, G-Money said:

Short Review from Section 605:

1. Skrillex... just no.
  2. Axl = Best in years
  3. Slash = Guitar Deity
  4. Frank was off in Rocket Queen for a bit, and a couple of other songs, BUT the acoustics at NRG Stadium have a HUGE echo, so I can't really pick on him.
  5. Guy (who reminded me of "My Name is Earl") kept yelling "WOO!" and "WRECK IT UP!" in my ear on rotation for two hours. Like a Woody the Cowboy doll pulling a string for the same two phrases all night.
  6. The Seeker is WAY better live, and I gained respect for it.
  7. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife when Axl's piano broke. Quite honestly, Dizzy Reed saved the song. Glad Axl laughed it off.
  8. Best Concert Ever

What did Dizzy do to save the song? I've watched all 3 angles and still can't tell what the fuck was going on. The bad notes still come back at the end. It doesn't really look like Dizzy's arms were moving like it was him playing them. But Axl thought it was him. Then the Axl comment "I don't mind ghosts & goblins, but I wish they'd learn the fuckin song".  Any idea what was going on back there?

F**K YOU ALL! Seeker's not going anywhere! :D 

This sounds brilliant! F**king A+

(Of course, I'd love to hear anything from UYI, Locomotive, Perfect Crime, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up etc or something accoustic like You're Crazy or YATF or even OIAM (minus problematic parts), but when something sounds this good and you can see the guys really enjoy playing it: it has to stay)

Edited by nn18
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dalsh327 said:

I love Slash immensely, but this review is shit. His comments could also be said if it was just Slash without Axl. What made GNR great was the contribution from all of the guys and their onstage chemistry. Axl and Slash were made to be on that stage together. 

They put on one hell of a show and Axl was greatly responsible for that, as was Slash. Absolutely amazing performers at this stage in their lives.

• Like 1

Both reviews have sucked...they all say the same thing. "Axl and Slash didn't get along" "the show was for the nostalgia fans around 35-50 that made up the crowd"

when I went there were young kids in their 20's and teens everywhere....

some reviews give Axl credit for being the great frontman he is, but then you get these garbage reviews from Houston that make Axl out to be some mediocre shadow of his former self...while Slash is perfect (which I agree with) but as far as Axl goes he demands your attention, even if you go to see Slash you can't help but fix your eyes on the guy delivering those spine tingling vocals, at 54 he needs more credit

and this band deserves a better review. They are putting on the best shows of 2016 of any band out touring right now. And they are 25 years removed from their primed..not sure it's ever been done this well. 

• Like 1

I was there last night and what a great show! I'm with the people that say social media feeds don't do Axl's voice justice. Axl was on point as was everybody else. Slash and Duff were perfection from start to finish. I'm in awe of Slash. I don't see how he can keep that up for 3 hrs. Never a break. I was also impressed with the rest of the band. Melissa's backing vocals come to mind as they were really good. Frank's drumming is very much in time now imo. NRG stadium was packed last night, had to be a sellout, and I'm really proud of my fellow houstonians ( and anyone there from somewhere else). We really brought it last night too! It was loud as fu@k! I like to think the crowd energy was why Axl sounded even better than usual.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

I love Slash immensely, but this review is shit. His comments could also be said if it was just Slash without Axl. What made GNR great was the contribution from all of the guys and their onstage chemistry. Axl and Slash were made to be on that stage together. 

They put on one hell of a show and Axl was greatly responsible for that, as was Slash. Absolutely amazing performers at this stage in their lives.

As soon as he said "curiously, the Godfather", I could tell that review was gonna be shit.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Both reviews have sucked...they all say the same thing. "Axl and Slash didn't get along" "the show was for the nostalgia fans around 35-50 that made up the crowd"

when I went there were young kids in their 20's and teens everywhere....

some reviews give Axl credit for being the great frontman he is, but then you get these garbage reviews from Houston that make Axl out to be some mediocre shadow of his former self...while Slash is perfect (which I agree with) but as far as Axl goes he demands your attention, even if you go to see Slash you can't help but fix your eyes on the guy delivering those spine tingling vocals, at 54 he needs more credit

and this band deserves a better review. They are putting on the best shows of 2016 of any band out touring right now. And they are 25 years removed from their primed..not sure it's ever been done this well. 

I know us fans could be guilty of hyperbole and bubble syndrome now and again, only natural....
but I feel this is a VERY fair statement, and i have read really awesome reviews for most of these shows...

but Man AXL was so on fire last night and I can't think of a frontman to come along since him that 

has that charisma, voice and stature! I mean even when split and slagging each other, Slash and the rest

would say, "Well he definitely filled the stadiums back in the day" !  Unlike with Scott...
Axl is 54 and he drips so much sweat for us each night, some times he sounds better than others,

but the great nights are more frequent than the ok ones! He's a long way from his 20s and he has no

right to sound as great as he did last night!! Other than Steven Tyler, most rock voices can't hit 

any of the notes when they get old, and they change the key instead...
I know he's a guy who likes to read reviews and things said about him, I wish he could read this whole thread for

last night...As then he'd find what his hardcore think about this great effort from a man that's frankly had

the greatest year in rock that I can remember for sometime and we're only 7 months in! 

• Like 1

I'd just like Axl to be recognized when he goes above and beyond in the vocal department. It only gives him more motivation to continue to be better. 

We are the few that notice the small changes from show to show so when he stands out like he did last night it's a treat for us but overall I'm sure he's still proving to himself that he's got it 

• Like 2