British Politics

Gracii Guns

Tory MP Charlie Elphicke suspended after 'serious allegations'

MP Charlie Elphicke has been suspended by the Conservatives after "serious allegations" that have been referred to the police, the party has said.

Mr Elphicke, a former party whip who has been the MP for Dover since 2010, has denied any wrongdoing.

In a post on Twitter, the married 46-year-old wrote: "The party tipped off the press before telling me of my suspension.

"I am not aware of what the alleged claims are and deny any wrongdoing."

The party has not provided any further detail about the nature of the allegations, and did not reveal who had made a complaint about him.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41866970

For anyone wondering, on the list it says he was "inappropriate with female researchers".

...Because Jared O Mara one was discussed a while back (not really serious compared to this other stuff) and I never read the Carl Sargent one till you posted it.

Oh and there's an unnamed Tory MP accused of rape at the minute along with the spiked drink thing. There's alot more to come from both parties.

Edited by AtariLegend

5 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

...Because Jared O Mara one was discussed a while back (not really serious compared to this other stuff) and I never read the Carl Sargent one till you posted it.

Oh and there's an unnamed Tory MP accused of rape at the minute along with the spiked drink thing. There's alot more to come from both parties.

...and I'm sure you'll keep us all informed of the Tory ones, leaving out the Labour ones?

PS

Another Labour one,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41867416

Edited by DieselDaisy

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Have there been many Labour sex scandals historically?  If my addled memory is ever a barometer of anything its usually Tories innit, whether paid for or otherwise.  Perhaps it was difficult to pull back in the day with a cloth cap and hobnail boots on :lol:

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Have there been many Labour sex scandals historically?  If my addled memory is ever a barometer of anything its usually Tories innit, whether paid for or otherwise.  Perhaps it was difficult to pull back in the day with a cloth cap and hobnail boots on :lol:

Fair number. They even had a peer with rent boy scandal not that long ago,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/05/keith-vazs-charity-links-to-rent-boy-scandal-as-mp-faces-investi/

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Fair number. They even had a peer with rent boy scandal not that long ago,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/05/keith-vazs-charity-links-to-rent-boy-scandal-as-mp-faces-investi/

Oh yeah, I remember having a good laugh about that with my brother :lol:  That slaphead cunt was famous for something, wasn't he?  i mean aside from being an MP.  I just mean like I wouldn't have heard of him if he was just an MP.

Out of interest Dies', as i know you are generally apolitical, where do your folks stand politically?  I ask cuz you're a northerner and you lot are famously Labourites aren't you, or so goes the stereotype.

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Oh yeah, I remember having a good laugh about that with my brother :lol:  That slaphead cunt was famous for something, wasn't he?  i mean aside from being an MP.  I just mean like I wouldn't have heard of him if he was just an MP.

He entered Parliament as if it was a normal day after the story broke and everyone laughed at him when he entered the chamber. How can one show their face after something like that broke?

The Lib Dems had a good one also,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-374756/Oaten-quits-3-bed-rent-boy-scandal.html

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

He entered Parliament as if it was a normal day after the story broke and everyone laughed at him when he entered the chamber. How can one show their face after something like that broke?

The Lib Dems had a good one also,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-374756/Oaten-quits-3-bed-rent-boy-scandal.html

Really?!? :lol:  Is it on tape?  The getting laughed at bit I mean, that sounds funny!

On 02/11/2017 at 5:56 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Look on the bright side. Miillenials will never appreciated He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. I watched the England under-17s recently and it struck me as perverse that none of them had lived in the 1990s, the decade of Oasis, Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting. There is just something wrong with that, isn't there?

Not really, you’re just an old git :lol:

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Really?!? :lol:  Is it on tape?  The getting laughed at bit I mean, that sounds funny!

Yes, they were all shooray for tolerance!ing and looking at him sarcastically. I doubt anyone cared enough to put it online.

That Lib Dem one, married/father, blamed his dalliance with a rent boy on (drum roll) going bald. Looking in mirror, ''crikey, thinning a bit on top there. Now, where is that rent boy's number I had written down?''. 

This deserves it's own thread, but I guess it'd have just got merged anyway;

Paradise Papers leak reveals secrets of the world elite's hidden wealth

Files from offshore law firm show financial dealings of the Queen, big multinationals and members of Donald Trump’s cabinet

The world’s biggest businesses, heads of state and global figures in politics, entertainment and sport who have sheltered their wealth in secretive tax havens are being revealed this week in a major new investigation into Britain’s offshore empires.

The details come from a leak of 13.4m files that expose the global environments in which tax abuses can thrive – and the complex and seemingly artificial ways the wealthiest corporations can legally protect their wealth.

The material, which has come from two offshore service providers and the company registries of 19 tax havens, was obtained by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung and shared by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists with partners including the Guardian, the BBC and the New York Times.

The project has been called the Paradise Papers. It reveals:

- Millions of pounds from the Queen’s private estate has been invested in a Cayman Islands fund – and some of her money went to a retailer accused of exploiting poor families and vulnerable people.

- Extensive offshore dealings by Donald Trump’s cabinet members, advisers and donors, including substantial payments from a firm co-owned by Vladimir Putin’s son-in-law to the shipping group of the US commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross.

- How Twitter and Facebook received hundreds of millions of dollars in investments that can be traced back to Russian state financial institutions.

- The tax-avoiding Cayman Islands trust managed by the Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau’s chief moneyman.

- A previously unknown $450m offshore trust that has sheltered the wealth of Lord Ashcroft.

- Aggressive tax avoidance by multinational corporations, including Nike and Apple.

- How some of the biggest names in the film and TV industries protect their wealth with an array of offshore schemes.

- The billions in tax refunds by the Isle of Man and Malta to the owners of private jets and luxury yachts.

- The secret loan and alliance used by the London-listed multinational Glencorein its efforts to secure lucrative mining rights in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

- The complex offshore webs used by two Russian billionaires to buy stakes in Arsenal and Everton football clubs.

- The disclosures will put pressure on world leaders, including Trump and the British prime minister, Theresa May, who have both pledged to curb aggressive tax avoidance schemes.

The publication of this investigation, for which more than 380 journalists have spent a year combing through data that stretches back 70 years, comes at a time of growing global income inequality.

Meanwhile, multinational companies are shifting a growing share of profits offshore – €600bn in the last year alone – the leading economist Gabriel Zucman will reveal in a study to be published later this week.

“Tax havens are one of the key engines of the rise in global inequality,” he said. “As inequality rises, offshore tax evasion is becoming an elite sport.”

At the centre of the leak is Appleby, a law firm with outposts in Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. In contrast to Mossack Fonseca, the discredited firm at the centre of last year’s Panama Papers investigation, Appleby prides itself on being a leading member of the “magic circle” of top-ranking offshore service providers.

It acted for the establishment offshore, providing the structures that helped to legally reduce their tax bills.

Appleby says it has investigated all the allegations, and found “there is no evidence of any wrongdoing, either on the part of ourselves or our clients”, adding: “We are a law firm which advises clients on legitimate and lawful ways to conduct their business. We do not tolerate illegal behavior.”

Sourcehttps://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/05/paradise-papers-leak-reveals-secrets-of-world-elites-hidden-wealth

Edited by AtariLegend

Currently there is a campaign to extend Shared Parental Leave to self-employed people, and to create fairer opportunities for self-employed parents overall (I'll bore you with the details if you ask me). None of it is going to be particularly expensive for the government. I wanted to break a man's face who responded with "as long as they're paying their taxes properly". I do not know one self-employed person who isn't scared shitless of an HMRC investigation. It appears that once you make over a certain amount, the fear leaves you. 

(Also on this note, the postponed Making Tax Digital was going to be rolled out to Dave the Builders and Sharon the Hairdressers before the likes of Amazon and Starbucks. They're targeting the people who are least likely to have the resources to declare their earnings on time and more frequently than once per year :facepalm:). 

• Like 1

Trump adviser Ross says UK-US trade deal will mean scrapping EU rules

Commerce secretary’s comments suggest Britain will have to accept chlorinated chicken in post-Brexit agreement

Donald Trump’s most senior business representative has warned any post-Brexit deal with Washington will hinge on the UK scrapping rules set by Brussels, including regulations governing imports of chlorinated chicken.

Wilbur Ross, the US commerce secretary, suggested European regulations governing the safety of imports such as chlorine-washed chicken ignored US scientific research. His comments underline the potential difficulties in striking a free trade deal with the US once Britain leaves the EU.

The key Trump adviser, who was separately caught on Monday at the heart of the furore over the Paradise Papers, said changing these regulations will form a “critical component of any trade discussion,” between London and Washington, while the UK should also take steps to remove “unnecessary regulatory divergences” with the US.

Speaking in front of an audience of business leaders at the Confederation of British Industry annual conference in London on Monday, Ross warned any deal with Brussels to maintain its regulations might “hinder development of a closer post-Brexit US-UK relationship”.

He also said it was important for the UK’s deal to leave the EU to take into account America’s “commercial interests”. He said that Trump was “very supportive” of a trade deal between London and Washington.

Ross said the UK would need to change rules in areas such as food safety, as well as take steps to bring the standards for the manufacturing of medical devices closer in line with the US. Criticising EU regulations, he referred to the “limited role of science” in assessing risks related to certain foodstuffs, amid an ongoing row over safety of chlorinated chicken.

Geographic indicators on food products, the registration and documentation of chemical exports, as well as automotive industry standards and trade tariffs are also “key impediments” to expanded trade, he said. “Something we hope to be able to quickly fix between our two countries,” he added.

Ross’s comments are likely to fuel concerns that controversial clauses will be attached to any post-Brexit trade deal with Washington. A political row was ignited in Westminster over the summer after Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, suggested the UK should be open to the prospect of allowing poultry treated with a chlorine wash process, which is banned by the EU, as part of a trade deal with the US.

Fox defended the practice last week, despite assurances from Michael Gove, the food and environment secretary, that there were no circumstances under which chlorinated chicken would be allowed in the UK after the UK leaves the EU.

Ross also bemoaned the lack of US involvement in the EU standard-setting process. These “hindrances... [are] potentially ones that the UK could help solve if you don’t simply adopt EU trade policy in its entirety [after Brexit]”, he added.

Washington trade representatives and American industry experts are due to hold a second round of “preliminary scoping discussions” in London next week, after the first meetings in Washington in July, he said.

He added: “As the UK stands on the edge of the major changes coming with Brexit, we stand ready to use this opportunity to support our friends across the pond and to deepen our ties even further.”

The Department for International Trade said: “The US is our largest single trading partner, and the comments today from Wilbur Ross reaffirm the clear will on both sides of the Atlantic to strengthen our bilateral trade and investment relationship.

“As an international economic department we are laying the groundwork for a potential free trade agreement and remain committed to a mutually beneficial economic trading arrangement with the US. We have been clear that the UK will maintain its own high regulatory standards in future free trade agreements.”

Sourcehttps://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/06/trump-ross-says-uk-us-trade-deal-eu-brexit-chlorinated-chicken

Sacked Labour minister Carl Sargeant found dead

_98652164_carl1.jpg

An ex-Welsh Labour minister who faced a party investigation into allegations about his personal conduct has taken his own life, BBC Wales understands.

Alyn and Deeside AM Carl Sargeant, 49, lost his ministerial job as cabinet secretary for communities and children last Friday.

A family statement said they were "devastated beyond words" at the loss of "the glue that bound us together".

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said the death was "deeply shocking news".

Mr Sargeant was married and had two children. The Welsh Assembly's business for Tuesday has been cancelled as a mark of respect.

He was sacked from his Welsh Government job last Friday after allegations about his behaviour were passed to First Minister Carwyn Jones's office.

Mr Jones had said on Monday that he had heard of a number of alleged incidents with women, and felt he had no choice but to refer the matter to the party.

Paying tribute, Mr Jones said: "Carl was a friend as well as a colleague and I am shocked and deeply saddened by his death.

"He made a big contribution to Welsh public life and fought tirelessly for those he represented both as a minister and as a local assembly member.

"He will be a great loss both to our party and to the Senedd."

Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns said he was "shocked and saddened" by the news, adding: "My heart goes out to his family, friends and colleagues."

Tributes were paid across the assembly on Tuesday.

Elin Jones, assembly presiding officer, said Mr Sargeant "served the people of Alyn and Deeside with pride and determination" and that he had made an "enormous contribution to the development of this democratic institution".

"On behalf of all the members and those who work at the National Assembly for Wales, I would like to express my deepest sympathy to his family and colleagues," she added.

Welsh Conservative leader Andrew RT Davies said: "Our Parliament has lost a stalwart and many of us have lost a friend."

Plaid Cymru Leader Leanne Wood said: "Carl Sargeant made a significant contribution to Welsh politics, both as an assembly member and a government minister."

North Wales Police Supt Mark Pierce said police were called at about 11:30 GMT on Tuesday to a report that a man's body had been found at an address in Connah's Quay, Flintshire.

"The man has been formally identified as local AM Carl Sargeant. His next of kin have been informed and police are supporting the family," he said.

"North Wales Police are not treating his death as suspicious and the matter has been referred to HM Coroner."

Sourcehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41904161

15 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Atari, pal... see when you paste articles, any chance you could remove the formatting? Some of this shit is really interesting but the way it looks on here makes my head hurt.

The copy and pasting on this forum since the updates is shit.

It copies things half way in format of the article and halfway in another triple line spacing format ect. It's a cluster fuck and when done as copy and paste as plain text, it's just a jumble of very small text.

Please blame whoever is in charge of post editor on MYGNR.

Edited by AtariLegend

1 minute ago, AtariLegend said:

The copy and pasting on this forum is shit.

It copies things half way in format of the article and halfway in another triple line spacing format ect. It's a cluster fuck and when done as copy as plain text, it's just a jumble of very small text.

Please blame whoever is in charge of post editor on MYGNR.

After you first paste the text in, you should have a wee option that flashes up at the bottom of the text box to paste as plain text.