British Politics

Gracii Guns

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

My gawwd!!

Is that (dare I say) humility from Teutonic Soul? Is that an admission of error?

I am in shock.

Yeah, I couldn't believe you Brits pay that much to hold referendums. I truly was surprised how ineffectual your government is. I guess I shouldn't be after the Brexit mess. ;)

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, I couldn't believe you Brits pay that much to hold referendums. I truly was surprised how ineffectual your government is. I guess I shouldn't be after the Brexit mess. ;)

Never underestimate Westminster's propensity to piss away millions of tax payers money. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

As I said he reminds me of a comic Nazi stereotype like that Gestapo chap from Allo Allo or that chap from Indian Jones, overly scientific, correct and exact about everything. 

It is sad that the only person you know that is "correct and exact about everything" is some Nazi guy from a comedy show. Well now you know two! :)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Reminds me of the Russians in Rocky 4 now, 'PERHAPS THIS DEFEAT OF THIS LITTLE SO CALLED CHAMPION WILL BE A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HOW PATHETIC AND WEAK YOUR SOCIETY HAS BECOME, WE GO!' :lol:

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is sad that the only person you know that is "correct and exact about everything" is some Nazi guy from a comedy show. Well now you know two! :)

A good example is when you told me off because ze joke was factually incorrect, ja? It is common in British humour to (slightly) suspend strict factual narrative for the sake of the joke. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

A good example is when you told me off because ze joke was factually incorrect, ja? It is common in British humour to (slightly) suspend strict factual narrative for the sake of the joke. 

It is everywhere, including my own jokes, but in that specific case your joke wasn't just incorrect  and not funny, it was also meant to substantiate something else It was just a political opinion presented as a silly joke, if I remember correctly. Some people always do that, they dress up their opinions as jokes in the hope they will go by uncontested. 

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Just cuz they smoke mentol superkings now and have a cynical outlook and a vacant stare don't mean they can't do the business like good 'uns :lol:

I know in oz we are hanging on brexit as the first thing we will be exporting will be beer and wine!. Im sure the brits can substitute the french wine for oz. 

Edited by Sydney Fan

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So the whole thing was set up to fail from the get-go and its all been a complete waste of time?  Because it could've never been implemented immediately soooo...its all been a bit of a cocksuck, a very expensive cocksuck if the numbers that Dies' is chucking about up there are at all realistic.

Yes, remember the Scottish referendum? It turned out the way the UK Government wanted. Scotland voted to stay in the UK. Why? Because the two big parties and the EU told  Scotland that independence meant no EU membership for them. So the Scottish swallowed their pride and voted to stay. After that Cameron went ahead with Brexit referendum. He thought Leave was not going to win not matter what. The guy was not ready for that result. He didn't even bother to have a meeting with EU leaders and come up with some plan in case of a Leave win. He didn't even bother to keep members of his party on his sides. He just thought that because he was telling people to vote Remain. Everyone would vote Remain. That's why he resigned after the result. It totally backfire for him.

Cameron promised the referendum because he wanted to win his own election. He needed to make that promise to win.Grabbed a handfull of UKIP voters. And take power and popularity away from UKIP. Brexit is happening because the last thing Tories and Labour want is a UKIP majority in Parliament. They are very afraid if such thing happens. They only care about their own ass. Besides UKIP won't come up with any kind of brilliant historic landmark policy making

16 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Image result for zubr beer

Keep an eye out for it Len it's good shit there is a version in a brown can too that has a tony bit of honey in it hard to come by that version but its lovely 

I seen that shit on the pavement a fair bit, I'll have to have a crack at it. 

6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

@downzy what do you think of this? If they and the EU government is heading towards a global government would you be for or against that? 

A New World Order ≠ one world government.

I think you fail to understand what most of the people are discussing here.  After WW2 there was a new world order.  After the collapse of the USSR there was a new world order.  It doesn't necessarily denote ceding national sovereignty to a transnational governing body.

There are some challenges and problems facing the world that requires the coordination of governance.

I would suggest learning more about this matter before making up your mind.  It seems most of your knowledge stems from watching YouTube videos.  

4 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Image result for zubr beer

Keep an eye out for it Len it's good shit there is a version in a brown can too that has a tony bit of honey in it hard to come by that version but its lovely 

I think this is sold here in large bottles. 7% I think? It is good. I think they use fresh spring water iirc. Forgot all about that stuff, will have to grab some.

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

But where do you draw the line?

What would happen if there is evidence of further shifts of opinion in say 3 years' time, 5 years', 10 years', etc.? Do you just re-run the referendum according to perceived changes of public opinion?

The 2016 Referendum was campaigned by both Europhiles and Brexiteers alike as an, ''once in a lifetime'' or ''once in a generation'' thing. That would be it. There would be no further referenda. Re-running it makes a mockery of that, and a mockery of our democracy. 

If I was a remainer, which I'm not but for sake of argument, I'd have accepted the 52% mandate. ''Well, it wouldn't be my opinion but the people have spoken''. 

Who cares whether it was billed as a "once in a lifetime" thing.  Really?  Britain should fall on its sword because of a marketing slogan?  That's nonsense.

While Soul is arguing that people have changed their minds, what matters more to me is that the facts on the ground have changed since 2016.  There were many promises and claims made by the pro-leave side that clearly won't pan out.  

Champions of leaving the EU made claims that leaving the EU wouldn't be leaving the single European market.  With a hard Brexit, that's exactly what will happen.  There was Boris Johnson's claim that the UK would save £350m a week by leaving the EU.  Except that the figure wasn't true and would pale in comparison to the economic costs would be with a hard Brexit.  We know now that a hard Brexit wouldn't save the British money and would like penalize them financially due to substantially lower economic growth.  Another claim was that Turkey was set to join the EU which would open up the British flood gates from refugees.  Turkey's membership into the EU is a long way from happening, if it happens at all.

Again, circumstances have changed.  Claims by the leave side have proven not to be the case.  The question should be put to British voters whether they still wish to leave knowing that many of the arguments made by the leave side are no longer likely and the pain will be real and severe.  Had the British parliament accepted May's deal or there was time to negotiate a new deal then fine, carry on.  But if the choice now is a hard Brexit or to stay, that decision should be put to the voters.  

Who cares whether it was billed as a "once in a lifetime" thing.  Really?  Britain should fall on its sword because of a marketing slogan?  That's nonsense.

Its a bit more than a marketing slogan though is it, it was a statement regarding the nature of the referendum, you can't just diffuse that by calling it marketing, by that rationale can anyone rightly aim their arrows at the misinformation or alleged misinformation, you could just turn around and say 'well that was all marketing'. 

21 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

It's good shit the one with honey in it is amazing but this is the best polish alcohol of all time 

Image result for zubrowka

Those Poles really like their Bisons, eh? Is the Bison Grass the the flavour of the vodka?

I cant think of the last time I drank vodka, I mainly use it to make extracts. But I did at a Polish wedding - they need that stuff to fuel their jumping, squatting, circle dancing. Its madness!

2 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Yeah it has Bison Grass flavoring and has a blade of the stuff in it it's an interesting flavor and doesn't mix too great best drunk neat or with a soda water 

That sounds really good, actually. I like young-hop beers like Dab for their grassy taste. Also wheat grass shots are tasty. Grass flavoured vodka, what do ya know. Thats neat.

7 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

It's a taste I have acquired over a number of years first time you drink it you will struggle to judge it.

Bit of ice some Soda water I have added lemon or lime to that recently that's as close to working as I can get it Red Bull Coke OJ all no no's 

Ah, thanks for the tip. Lemon immediately makes sense to me when you list it. Might have to try that with mineral water in place of Soda. I find soda sticky sometimes.

May I ask why, if it took years to warm up to, why not just have ditched it? I guess sometimes challenging flavours can still be appealing and intriguing, like how funky cheeses are for some?

57 minutes ago, downzy said:

It wasn't a marketing slogan but the entire premise under which the referendum was enacted!

58 minutes ago, downzy said:

There was Boris Johnson's claim that the UK would save £350m a week by leaving the EU.  Except that the figure wasn't true

If you believed that, as written on a bus, you deserved to get shafted. In my area, a leave area, nobody voted leave to ''save £350 million'' but because the European Union destroyed our fishing industries. There was no way Northumberland (my county) was ever going to vote ''remain''. There is no way Northumberland would ever vote ''remain'' in future because of the EU's detrimental historic impact on our socio-economy.

£350m? Bah. When I saw that in 2016 I knew they'd pulled it out of their arse.

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Again, circumstances have changed.  Claims by the leave side have proven not to be the case.  The question should be put to British voters whether they still wish to leave knowing that many of the arguments made by the leave side are no longer likely and the pain will be real and severe.  Had the British parliament accepted May's deal or there was time to negotiate a new deal then fine, carry on.  But if the choice now is a hard Brexit or to stay, that decision should be put to the voters.

Well we don't know until we leave, and besides this is all subjective prediction; I read an article the other day that claimed Germany's economy is closer to recession than Britain's. 

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It wasn't a marketing slogan but the entire premise under which the referendum was enacted!

If you believed that, as written on a bus, you deserved to get shafted. In my area, a leave area, nobody voted leave to ''save £350 million'' but because the European Union destroyed our fishing industries. There was no way Northumberland (my county) was ever going to vote ''remain''. There is no way Northumberland would ever vote ''remain'' in future because of the EU's detrimental historic impact on our socio-economy.

£350m? Bah. When I saw that in 2016 I knew they'd pulled it out of their arse.

Well we don't know until we leave, and besides this is all subjective prediction; I read an article the other day that claimed Germany's economy is closer to recession than Britain's. 

What?  We don't know until we leave?  We know for absolute certainty that closing off Europe's market to England will disrupt the English economy, with a high likelihood of having severe negative consequences for some time.  We don't know how far from the cliff to the water the jump would be, but we do know it's a cliff and the landing is going to hurt regardless.

Certainly there are areas in England that will vote to leave regardless, but we don't limit referendums to certain areas of a country that pertain to the entire country.  So because your particular county would repeat its vote to stay that should fuck everyone else?  I grant that there are a large portion of people that voted to leave for reasons that have nothing to do with the arguments presented by the leave side.  But is that a majority?  If those arguments are no longer relative or applicable, shouldn't the matter be brought up to another vote?

The arguments used by the leave side wasn't for a hard Brexit.  The case was made to leave the EU but still have access to the continental market.  If the only two options now are hard Brexit or stay, that should be the only premise that matters.  Resorting to hyperbole ("one in a lifetime") as a legitimate case for staying the course is absurd.