British Politics

Gracii Guns

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wish Soul was correct by the way and I did speak Greek. I'd love to speak Greek.

I think you'd save yourself, and me, a lot of time if you could just relate to what I actually write and not what you believe I write. It really isn't hard. Just read carefully and repeat until you are 100 % sure you really got it. Why don't you start with this post! Come on, you can do it.

And then, for instance, you would know I never said you speak Greek and you wouldn't have to post a couple posts on it and neither would I have to -- as I do so often -- correct you. In your case it is more a scattering of Greek and Latin words around like if they were confetti, to affectate a posh education or higher social standing. And it all is related to the English class neuroses which we have discussed before.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well you are incredibly Americanised. Too Americanised for cricket. You'd like those sports then. You didn't even seem too aware of Grieg to be honest when I once raised the subject, your own Norwegian composer. Such is the degree of your Americanisation!

I probably would like those sports. What isn't there to like? 

I don't generally listen to classical music and I don't make an exception just because a composer happen to have been born in the same country as myself. I am not as focused on nationality as you seem to be, despite my joking about it. I am sure I would move from Norway if it wasn't for the fact that is by far the greatest nation in the world.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I think you'd save yourself, and me, a lot of time if you could just relate to what I actually write and not what you believe I write. It really isn't hard. Just read carefully and repeat until you are 100 % sure you really got it. Why don't you start with this post! Come on, you can do it.

And then, for instance, you would know I never said you speak Greek and you wouldn't have to post a couple posts on it and neither would I have to -- as I do so often -- correct you. In your case it is more a scattering of Greek and Latin words around like if they were confetti, to affectate a posh education or higher social standing. And it all is related to the English class neuroses which we have discussed before.

When do I produce a scattering of Greek words?

I use Latin because they've been adopted into the English language, and best articulate the quintessence of what I am typing. I don't think I am the only person who uses status quo, ante bellum, post bellum, ad hoc, quid pro quo. They are prevalent in all ''correct'' English writing.

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

When do I produce a scattering of Greek words?

I use Latin because they've been adopted into the English language, and best articulate the quintessence of what I am typing. I don't think I am the only person who uses status quo, ante bellum, post bellum, ad hoc, quid pro quo. They are prevalent in all ''correct'' English writing.

There is nothing wrong in adding Latin or Greek words :) It wasn't a criticism of your prose (which I happen to like because I learn a lot from it), I was just using it as an example of you trying to posh up.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

1:58

I honestly cannot get enough of Alan Partridge I love that character. The Mid Morning Matters series is some of the best stuff. My all time favourite thing Coogan did is this audio book narrated by Alan. If you haven't listened to it do yourself a favour and give it a go. It's 6 hours of Alan Partridge telling you about a walk he did in honour of his late father and honest to god it is laugh out loud funny. I've listened to it multiple times just stick it on my headphones when I go to bed and drift off with Alan talking talking. Then next night go back to the point where I fell asleep and listen to another hour or so 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I honestly cannot get enough of Alan Partridge I love that character. The Mid Morning Matters series is some of the best stuff. My all time favourite thing Coogan did is this audio book narrated by Alan. If you haven't listened to it do yourself a favour and give it a go. It's 6 hours of Alan Partridge telling you about a walk he did in honour of his late father and honest to god it is laugh out loud funny. I've listened to it multiple times just stick it on my headphones when I go to bed and drift off with Alan talking talking. Then next night go back to the point where I fell asleep and listen to another hour or so 😂

I’ll check it out, thanks.

It's about time.

I'm completely oppossed to Brexit, but Chuka is as out off touch as an American popstar. He probably realized a long time ago that the membership would never elect him leader and he's spent the last few years attacking his own party more than the conservatives.

He's certainly no Blair, but I get the feeling support for a second referendum drops everytime he's on TV.

As for Berger, well it's goes beyond that. She does get abuse from nutcases, but she's spent ages attacking her party. The issue over Israel/Palestine and being pro-boming other countries is hardly going to earn support post Blair.

Don't really know much about Mike Gapes or Ann Coffey and never heard of Gavin Shuker. Angela Smith apart from the expenses thing, didn't seem too bad when she was on TV.

The only thing for sure though, is short of the Torries bringing the end of the world after March... they've handed the Torries the next election.

Edited by AtariLegend

48 minutes ago, Padme said:

Labour is going to hell... I have a funny feeling Tony Blair played a role in this mess :ph34r:

Despite the TV coverage and the tabloids, the pollsters that were alot more accurate in recent times weren't saying that much bad. Few Tory losses, but still a hung parliament. 

Now I'm think this greatly increases the Tories chances of hanging on.

It's a disaster and not just Brexit imo.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Tories should grant Corbyn a knighthood. They should hang Corbyn's portrait in every Cons club throughout the country haha. 

McLeod was saying something like this when Corbo came in, I'm not really that politically aware, to be honest I get a great deal of it from you lot, anyway he was saying at the time that Corbo getting in would set the Labour Party back years and be a blessing for the Tories.  That was rather astute of ol' Viz kid, eh?

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

McLeod was saying something like this when Corbo came in, I'm not really that politically aware, to be honest I get a great deal of it from you lot, anyway he was saying at the time that Corbo getting in would set the Labour Party back years and be a blessing for the Tories.  That was rather astute of ol' Viz kid, eh?

Indeed.

This was pre-Brexit though. Cameron calling the referendum put Corbyn (really a Brexiteer) into a shit sandwich you might say. So he just ran this really piss poor Remain campaign. He has been fighting one of the most incompetent British governments (May's) in British political history and not exactly done very well in this task!! And then he has allowed his party to be hijacked by Momentum who are a bunch of Jew-baiting lefty loonies who are splintering his party. And John McDonnell was slagging-off Winston the other day...

Bunch of cunts.

• Haha 1

For all of you who've been keeping track of the whole Brexit thing, I have a practical question. 

I'll be in Scotland in late May/early June with a group of whisky friends. We used to take quite a few bottles of Scotch back with us on the plane back to The Netherlands. Let's say between 1 and 8 per person. Which was always fine as long as we kept the weight of our suitcases in check. As long as there was a nice duty paid sticker on them we never had a problem and never had to declare anything at customs. 

Would certain Brexit scenarios (no deal?) impact the amount of bottles we're allowed to bring back with us and/or the duty we'll have to pay on th?

Edited by username

12 minutes ago, username said:

For all of you who've been keeping track of the whole Brexit thing, I have a practical question. 

I'll be in Scotland in late May/early June with a group of whisky friends. We used to take quite a few bottles of Scotch back with us on the plane back to The Netherlands. Let's say between 1 and 8 per person. Which was always fine as long as we kept the weight of our suitcases in check. As long as there was a nice duty paid sticker on them we never had a problem and never had to declare anything at customs. 

Would certain Brexit scenarios (no deal?) impact the amount of bottles we're allowed to bring back with us and/or the duty we'll have to pay on th?

I don't know what's gonna happen with whisky. Eventually the duty free shop at the airport could be an alternative 

33 minutes ago, username said:

Username is about to turn virulently against Brexit :lol:

17 minutes ago, Padme said:

I don't know what's gonna happen with whisky. Eventually the duty free shop at the airport could be an alternative 

Duty free shops are a fucking ripoff. The only whisky bringing back from Scotland are distillery-exclusive bottles and hand-filled ones. In general whisky is cheaper here than it is over there. 

1 hour ago, username said:

Duty free shops are a fucking ripoff. The only whisky bringing back from Scotland are distillery-exclusive bottles and hand-filled ones. In general whisky is cheaper here than it is over there. 

I know. But the duty free shop is the last resort, depending of how things turn out with Brexit. And how desperate you are for the whisky

1 hour ago, username said:

Is hand-filled whisky better and does it matter how long its been since you washed them?