November Rain: 823 Million YouTube Views

Currently November Rain has 823 million views on youtube.  Within a couple years it will likely pass the one billion mark.  Does anyone else find this rather amazing?  I mean that video was 12 years old before youtube existed.  (by comparison, Smells Like Teen Spirit has 562 million views)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bono said:

It is amazing because I do believe it's the most viewed rock song on youtube. 

Bullshit. Such a cliche, boring opinion. Those videos may be all those things but that's what made and still makes them great. They were different, they were fun and they tell a story(of sorts). Just because Kurt Cobain came along and decided to mock the outlandish and over the top world of everything to do with rock bands at the time and brain wash a bunch of teenagers into thinking being grand and over the top was uncool, this cliche opinion that the trilogy of videos suck because of such reasons has festered over time. Those videos are enjoyable to watch back then, they're enjoyable to watch today and they are better than most music videos though out music video history. You can't be a fan of Axl Rose and then use "pompous,  bloated egotism at it's worst"  to say the videos suck. The videos are EVERYTHING Axl. If it wasn't for that we'd have a trilogy of videos exactly the same as Jungle, PC and SCOM. 

You have made one key mistake there: I'm not a fan of Axl Rose. I'm a fan of Izzy who bailed out about a day before filming began on the first of those videos ('Don't Cry'). I do not believe Slash and Duff were overly pleased with the direction the band took on those videos either, although they went along with it at the time.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have made one key mistake there: I'm not a fan of Axl Rose. I'm a fan of Izzy who bailed out about a day before filming began on the first of those videos ('Don't Cry'). I do not believe Slash and Duff were overly pleased with the direction the band took on those videos either, although they went along with it at the time.

But Izzy is not Guns N' Roses.

This is a forum for the band Guns N' Roses and those videos represent part of their identity (I am aware they have a previous identity before this one).

Slash and Duff might have not be pleased with the direction the band took on those videos but in the long term, they have beneffited from the fame and popularity those songs and those videos gave them.

They were just stubborn drugaddicts back then. They couldn't see past the end of their noses.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bono said:

You're NOT a fan of Axl Rose but you love Guns N Roses? So nothing about what he does is enjoyable for you? That's like those who say they're not a fan of Slash but love Guns N Roses. We're all fans of everyone who was in the band back then. It's why we're fans of Guns N Roses. It would be like me saying I'm not a fan of Bono but I love U2. It's simply not possible. And let's be real you are not a Guns N Roses fan because of Izzy. You might be an Izzy fan but that's not why you love Guns N' Roses.  He left and you were still a GnR fan.  Izzy is cool but he's not the reason anyone became a fan of GnR and until anyone read liner notes nobody really knew what his contributions were. You can listen to GnR and know exactly what Axl and Slash bring and we're all fans of  that. Also who cares if Duff and Slash were happy with the direction the videos were going or not. It doubt it was because they didn't like the creativity. It's more likely because they were drunk, high, and burnt out and didn't understand what they were going for and probably hated the long days of filming. I'd be interested to hear their takes now on the final product. I don't base my opinion on the videos based on what Slash and Duff thought or even what Axl thinks and their opinions don't make the opinions of anyone who thinks the videos are horrible more valid. 

The videos are enjoyable to watch. The fact November Rain has more views on youtube than any other rock song ever written kinda suggests more people feel that way than not.

I do not love Guns N' Roses either haha. Went off them ages ago because of the bollocks; just see them as comedy now, with which they never disappoint. This is not exactly groundbreaking news around here! I was even discussing it just the other day in the Rio 3 thread!

I still listen to Stradlin's solo stuff occasionally - and once in a blue moon another of the solo projects.

As to the videos, I like Chuck Berry, Neil Young and Mick Taylor era Stones. How am I possibly supposed to like stuff like ''the trilogy''? Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd make me sick for crying out loud and even they were never that pompous. To be honest I do not even like music videos in toto

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, Bono said:

Bullshit. Such a cliche, boring opinion. Those videos may be all those things but that's what made and still makes them great. They were different, they were fun and they tell a story(of sorts). Just because Kurt Cobain came along and decided to mock the outlandish and over the top world of everything to do with rock bands at the time and brain wash a bunch of teenagers into thinking being grand and over the top was uncool, this cliche opinion that the trilogy of videos suck because of such reasons has festered over time. Those videos are enjoyable to watch back then, they're enjoyable to watch today and they are better than most music videos though out music video history. You can't be a fan of Axl Rose and then use "pompous,  bloated egotism at it's worst"  to say the videos suck. The videos are EVERYTHING Axl. If it wasn't for that we'd have a trilogy of videos exactly the same as Jungle, PC and SCOM. 

Agreed what this  is cliche  is nice be "cool"

6 hours ago, Bono said:

Those videos created a huge audience for the band. Plus, it showed the band had vision that other rocks bands just didn't possess. I still love the estranged video. Axl at his finest. His instincts were correct to push for those videos.

Even Axl doesn't like these videos much any more, lol

Trunk: How about the videos from those records man, for the Illusion records, I mean, those...

Axl: I don't know... I just think it's corny, so...I don't know, I just, I liked the filming of it, that whole aspect, but...

That was one of the rare times Axl openly expressed a bit of regret for his choices (and then he went from one extreme to the other of not doing videos at all :lol:)

-----

I never liked these videos, especially November Rain (it's great that so many people do, though). But there is one thing I appreciate about them: that they are kinda honest. Even in these pompous, silly, egocentric etc videos, Axl showed himself as he was. In the Welcome To The Jungle video he was the small town boy in the jungle of the big city. Now he wasn't that anymore; he had become a rock star living in a big house, and this is what he showed. 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, killuridols said:

Slash and Duff might have not be pleased with the direction the band took on those videos but in the long term, they have beneffited from the fame and popularity those songs and those videos gave them.

They were just stubborn drugaddicts back then. They couldn't see past the end of their noses.

Yes.

I bet Slash and Duff are pretty damn pleased these days to be reaping the various benefits songs like SCOM, November Rain or Estranged brought (and continue to bring) them.

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Even Axl doesn't like these videos much any more, lol

Trunk: How about the videos from those records man, for the Illusion records, I mean, those...

Axl: I don't know... I just think it's corny, so...I don't know, I just, I liked the filming of it, that whole aspect, but...

That was one of the rare times Axl openly expressed a bit of regret for his choices (and then he went from one extreme to the other of not doing videos at all :lol:)

Axl is a rather insecure little fella though and basically wanted to change everything associated with the old band. By that point he'd heard for over a decade about his videos being uncool and over the top and pompous. He wanted to be cool like the grunge, industrial, nu metal, etc people. "Cool" like Fred Durst even (!) and god knows what else. 

So even if he secretly still liked/likes his videos, he probably wouldn't have had the balls to stand by them, especially not back then when this interview took place.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Frey said:

Axl is a rather insecure little fella though and basically wanted to change everything associated with the old band. By that point he'd heard for over a decade about his videos being uncool and over the top and pompous. He wanted to be cool like the grunge, industrial, nu metal, etc people. "Cool" like Fred Durst even (!) and god knows what else. 

So even if he secretly still liked/likes his videos, he probably wouldn't have had the balls to stand by them, especially not back then when this interview took place.

Totally this.

The real Axl is the one who speaks in the Makin' Of Estranged (and all the other making of's) because that's how he felt back then and probably, another reason why he wanted to deny them videos is because of Stephanie Seymour. He must be pissed off about how all that shit turned out.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2017 at 5:51 AM, Darth Fring said:

Currently November Rain has 823 million views on youtube.  Within a couple years it will likely pass the one billion mark.  Does anyone else find this rather amazing?  I mean that video was 12 years old before youtube existed.  (by comparison, Smells Like Teen Spirit has 562 million views)

Funny, last evening I noticed the 823 million views myself and I was thinking: how is it possible that NR has only 823m views and someone like Zara Larsson has already 490 million? Outrageous.

As for Axl denying the videos...ridiculous. Come on, Axl. These songs and videos have nothing to do with Seymour. She just acted in them. 

• Like 1

Don't Cry and Estranged at least had some surrealism in it which usually works for a music video, but November Rain is ridiculous. And seeing Axl slip Stephanie the tonque made me feel nauseous when I first saw it at 11 years old.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Both Axl and Slash acted like idiots at times. It's unfortunate they couldn't work together and they both essentially wasted 10 years of their professional lives.

Axl wasted many years, Slash not so much.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I'm glad Axl could get himself together and make a couple records. Hope we hear the other ones some day!

Well, it's quite sad that a 55 year old man who has been under contract since his mid 20's, has released not more than 4 albums worth of original songs. Even Tupac released more and he died at 25.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, killuridols said:
3 hours ago, Frey said:

Totally this.

The real Axl is the one who speaks in the Makin' Of Estranged (and all the other making of's) because that's how he felt back then and probably, another reason why he wanted to deny them videos is because of Stephanie Seymour. He must be pissed off about how all that shit turned out.

Maybe, but grunge was over a decade ago by the time that interview took place and Limp Bizkit weren't "cool" any more.

I can see the regret having to do with Stephanie Seymour though - and in general with him putting his personal life on public display with the videos.

Edited by Blackstar

7 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Bullshit.

You old GN'R purists are so up your own ass you can't see the forest through the trees.

Artists change. That's what they do. That's what Axl wanted to do. He didn't want to become AC/DC and make records about partying and pussy his whole career.

And thank god for that. 

7 hours ago, EvanG said:

Axl wasted many years, Slash not so much.

Depends on if you actually liked what Slash did in all these years. I'm not very impressed by most of Slash's solo stuff, so to me these years are nearly as wasted as Axl's.

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe, but grunge was over a decade ago by the time that interview took place and Limp Bizkit weren't "cool" any more.

I can see the regret having to do with Stephanie Seymour though - and in general with him putting his personal life on public display with the videos.

Yeah, but Sluff and Seymour supposedly calling him an idiot and not liking his songs in the early 90s already "put him down so much" and made him stop writing songs for years. 

If something comparatively small like that already puts such a long-lasting damper on his confidence, imagine all the musicians he admired and wanted to be like (and wanted to be friends with), as well as the mainstream media only making fun of him and everything he stood for. I can't imagine this didn't affect him somehow and is probably one of the main reasons he tried so hard to be someone else for so many years.

And yeah, the Steph Seymour thing probably plays a role too.