Irrational fears

willl

I've only ever had 1 rat in my house and it was pretty terrifying at the time tbh, mainly because it had made itself a home under our sofa where I regularly sleep after working nights. Little shit had actually been stealing food out of my dogs bowl and was hoarding it there. Fortunately I found the huge hole where it was getting in so I was able to block it up with cement.

Starting to realise I'm a total pussy :lol: Pretty much everything mentioned so far I've had some scary encounter with

• Haha 2

Lovely thread. :lol:

I’m on team silverfish, guinea pigs and rats. They don’t scare me equally but I feel unfomfortable with them. My friend had a pet rat when I was younger, I liked that rat though - and her pet. :P 

What I’m really scared of, disgusted by and totally can’t control myself around is cockroaches. Worst things in the world. UGH!!!

10 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

For all you rat lovers....

See thats the kinda dirty shit I’m talkin’ about, one or so I can handle but it gives me the fuckin’ feeling that somewhere close by there’s fuckin thousands of the little fuckers close by.  I’d gladly be a fuckin rat exterminator, just do a rat holocaust and exterminate the fuckin’ lot of em, they’re all fuckin’ wrong.

And furthermore I object to his fuckin’ humanization of rats too, they fuckin bring disease and plague and we got kids watching fuckin’ Mickey Mouse and Roland Rat and Splinter off the fuckin’ Turtles, its fuckin’ poisoning young minds and that :lol:. We need to stamp this fuckin’ vermin out, crush them with an iron fist :lol:

• Haha 1

Aren't all fears rational in that they represent genetic conditioning. Rats carried diseases; snakes, spiders, scorpions were venomous; if you fall off from a high place you're dead etc etc - in fact the act of flying is completely unnatural to man. They are all survival instincts that have been carried forth through evolution (this is where Soul can enter the conversation).

Somewhere thousands of years ago there was a caveman who hated A Place in the Sun.

• Haha 2

I had a house with some friends.  I was away for a month and when I returned no one was home.  I went to get some cutlery out and there was a large tin in the drawer which I figured was a cutlery organizer.  When I opened it, it was teeming with rodents who ran up my arm both over and under my clothes.  It was a live trap.  No one had mentioned the infestation to me.

I had creepy crawlers for days and didn't feel clean for weeks.

3 minutes ago, soon said:

I had a house with some friends.  I was away for a month and when I returned no one was home.  I went to get some cutlery out and there was a large tin in the drawer which I figured was a cutlery organizer.  When I opened it, it was teeming with rodents who ran up my arm both over and under my clothes.  It was a live trap.  No one had mentioned the infestation to me.

I had creepy crawlers for days and didn't feel clean for weeks.

trrfd.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Aren't all fears rational in that they represent genetic conditioning. Rats carried diseases; snakes, spiders, scorpions were venomous; if you fall off from a high place you're dead etc etc - in fact the act of flying is completely unnatural to man. They are all survival instincts that have been carried forth through evolution (this is where Soul can enter the conversation).

No. Some fears are completely irrational, like being afraid of napkins. And although most phobias are rational at their core, they can take completely irrational form like when you are afraid of a tiny spider you know is harmless. 

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

Haha, my friends live in a house that's quite well-known in our city in Western Mexico as "La Casa de Las Cucarachas". Basically, the landlord doesn't look after it too well, so there are cockroaches everywhere. Sometimes my friends have woken up with cockroaches on their faces before. It's a great place for a fiesta, but I'm glad I don't live there...

I actually don't mind cockroaches though, they might be unpleasant but they're harmless. Scorpions scare the shit out of me, but that's not really an irrational fear, that's perfectly rational.

Cockroach bing too illness , not are inofensive:smiley-confused2:

8 hours ago, downliner said:

I've only ever had 1 rat in my house and it was pretty terrifying at the time tbh, mainly because it had made itself a home under our sofa where I regularly sleep after working nights. Little shit had actually been stealing food out of my dogs bowl and was hoarding it there. Fortunately I found the huge hole where it was getting in so I was able to block it up with cement.

Starting to realise I'm a total pussy :lol: Pretty much everything mentioned so far I've had some scary encounter with

My dad had same same you block up rat's with cement in hole that rat's excavate in our garden:lol:

Spiders do not live long near me, and ticks give me the creeps 😣

We had these huge brown spiders in Tucson, not brown recluse, but they were aggressive, if you tried to kill them they would actually run at you. I woke up one night and two were fighting each other on the wall. I got bitten twice by them during the night. Then I bought bug bombs and set them off in my bedroom. 😩

Edited by BlueJean Baby

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No. Some fears are completely irrational, like being afraid of napkins. And although most phobias are rational at their core, they can take completely irrational form like when you are afraid of a tiny spider you know is harmless. 

Idk.  I think the fear of spiders could be rational.  There are spiders that can take half your arm off after the venom from the bite causes infection, etc.  Most people don't know the difference between a venemous spider vs a non venemous spider....so that fear, for the most part, is rational.

1 hour ago, BlueJean Baby said:

ticks give me the creeps 😣

Ticks is a good one :D

I've had to remove a few of those from my dog over the years and they're nasty little buggers to remove even when you've got the tweezers clamped down on there head :lol:

It is funny how many kids are actually afraid of people dressed up in costumes, like team mascot type things and Santa at the mall. I remember my son getting on his stomach in the middle of the mall and crawling by this person in a bear costume, he was terrified. He also was afraid of the local mall Santa Claus when he was little 😆

54 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Idk.  I think the fear of spiders could be rational.  There are spiders that can take half your arm off after the venom from the bite causes infection, etc.  Most people don't know the difference between a venemous spider vs a non venemous spider....so that fear, for the most part, is rational.

Being afraid of a spider YOU KNOW is harmless, is irrational. Didn't I write that? 

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Being afraid of a spider YOU KNOW is harmless, is irrational. Didn't I write that? 

Yeah, if you know it's harmless then it would be irrational.  But what % of people in the world are spider experts? :lol:

Edited by Kasanova King

Just now, Kasanova King said:

Yeah, if you know it's harmless than it would be irrational.  But what % of people in the world are spider experts? :lol:

Like here in Norway we have no dangerous spiders. If I was dropped down into, say, the bush of Australia and a huge, hairy spider expressed an unexpected interest in making my acquitance, it wouldn't be irrational of me to shriek and run. 

I also get queasy in bad turbulence. 

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Like here in Norway we have no dangerous spiders. If I was dropped down into, say, the bush of Australia and a huge, hairy spider expressed an unexpected interest in making my acquitance, it wouldn't be irrational of me to shriek and run. 

I also get queasy in bad turbulence. 

Ya big girls bra! :lol:

28 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

It is funny how many kids are actually afraid of people dressed up in costumes, like team mascot type things and Santa at the mall. I remember my son getting on his stomach in the middle of the mall and crawling by this person in a bear costume, he was terrified. He also was afraid of the local mall Santa Claus when he was little 😆

Oh, that reminded me: Clowns.  Images of clowns.  Clowns at night :wow:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Surely evolutionary traits do not discern between a venomous spider and a non-venomous: it is merely the general octagonal appearance which triggers this instinct. 

Sure, the evolutionary basis for phobias are well understood, at least when it is for things that resembles something dangerous. 

Then of course, and this is so fantastic, we are all wired differently, and not always in a way that makes sense, so there will be people, lots of them, who develop phobias for things that are entirely safe. Things that not even resemble anything harmful. Such phobias can not be argued to be evolutionary adaptations. 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No. Some fears are completely irrational, like being afraid of napkins.

My fear of birds is irrational. I'm not afraid that they are going to attack or hurt me, because I obviously know they won't. It's the feathers and the thought of accidentally touching them that freaks me out.

Don't irrational fears come from childhood? I grew up near a lot of farms, a chicken or another big bird must have flapped its wings when I tried to touch it as a toddler or something innocent like that, but that must have scared me at that age. I have no memory of ever having an incident with any kind of bird, but I have no other explanation why I have this crazy fear of birds.

Edited by EvanG

32 minutes ago, EvanG said:

My fear of birds is irrational. I'm not afraid that they are going to attack or hurt me, because I obviously know they won't.

This just popped up on my Facebook....

Turns out a fear of birds isn't irrational at all, they're clearly evil :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, downliner said:

This just popped up on my Facebook....

Turns out a fear of birds isn't irrational at all, they're clearly evil :D

Oh yeah, those Canada Gooses will f you up!  I know lots who've been attacked, myself included.  I was sitting under a tree at a park, high, when one caught my eye.  I just remember thinking: "he knows I'm buzzed and doesn't like it" and just then he attacked from a distance. This was a large park with tree lined paths.  The chase went on for a good 10 minutes. :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Goose were held as guardian dogs when no dogs were available. In the olden days. You know what I mean.  :lol:So yeah, goose are aggressive.

In the city I live in I’m more scared to kill a pidgin by accident riding my bycicle and then have to look at the mess. :facepalm: They are so fucking stupid.

• Haha 1