Are you a nostalgic person?

RONIN

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

But there are some rare exceptions.

P.S. @soon the Karate Kid reboot with Will Smith's son? That sucks. Have you seen Cobra Kai on YouTube? That's pretty cool.

Shoot. Yeah. I meant Cobra Kai.  I havent seen that other one. Thanks! I have really liked what Ive seen of Cobra Kai on YT so far. I will correct m post.

I'll immerse myself in nostalgia every now and again. I was listening to the Top 40 stuff (pop music) from about 2010-2012 and I'll venture back there sometimes and re-live my middle school years for a few minutes. In retrospect, that music was cheesy as fuck but I had a lot of good times connected to it. Mainstreet by Bob Seger is another nostalgic song for me.

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

I think nostalgia goes far beyond taste.

It's taste tied into emotional memory. The way you can hear something, smell something, see something and experience a piece of it many years later. Like being dropped back into a particular current of water, if only for a moment and knowing just where you were then and are now.

I am not very nostalgic. Partly because I don't really remember much from my childhood, and partly because I don't think it is in my nature to glance back. I am hoping I am busy now creating stuff I can be nostalgic about when I am old and have nothing better to do.

9 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Have you seen beyond the first 2 episodes? I want to keep watching but I refuse to get YouTube Red.

No I havent but I want to.  Theres plenty of other clips from beyond episode 2 that I really enjoyed. It is weird though to have to pay for TY which is probably why Im dragging my feet.

12 hours ago, EvanG said:

There are seriously too many British people on this forum because almost every thread turns into a British thing. And that's shit... or shite, as you people say.

I’ve always seen mygnr as a mostly US forum. The membership is probably mostly US, even if we do have a lot of active UK posters.

This forum has always been mostly male here. Most of the really loyal guy friends I’ve had in adulthood I met here. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

At least we are spreading British colloquial to others. Doesn't it install you with patriotic pride when you see an American say ''wanker'?

It usually starts with you, you're a bit too obsessed with your precious England.

There are two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the British.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

It usually starts with you, you're a bit too obsessed with your precious England.

There are two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the British.

I would've thought it was others - the usual culprits - who were guilty of ''Britishing'' things up? I have been frequently derided in their book as a ''sushi eating ponce''. 

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would've thought it was others - the usual culprits - who were guilty of ''Britishing'' things up? I have been frequently derided in their book as a ''sushi eating ponce''. 

Could be, maybe I've been misinterpreting your posts because I don't understand half of what you're saying, they read like some 18th century British novel. You come off like some nationalist, though.

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

No one should be made fun of for liking sushi, it's pretty yum. Shame on you, Leonard.

I don't like Premiership football either. Dazey doesn't like me because I do not think the cultural high water mark of world cinema is the 1987 film, viz., Predator

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Could be, maybe I've been misinterpreting your posts because I don't understand half of what you're saying, they read like some 18th century British novel. You come off like some nationalist, though.

18th century novel? I have been wanting to introduce ''viz'' into mygnr for years (see above). I am reading Gibbon right now. It is a pity you didn't say 18th century non-fiction. It would be hard to read the entirety of Gibbon without him making an impression on your language in some way.

I think I'd make a piss poor nationalist personally. I'm not into the EU if that is what you mean?

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

18th century novel? I have been wanting to introduce ''viz'' into mygnr for years (see above). I am reading Gibbon right now. It is a pity you didn't say 18th century non-fiction. It would be hard to read the entirety of Gibbon without him making an impression on your language in some way.

I think I'd make a piss poor nationalist personally. I'm not into the EU if that is what you mean?

I could have named any century. You do realize that there are a lot of non-native English speakers on here? Although I bet even native English speakers are scratching their heads often while reading some of the words you use.

You clearly have a lot of British pride however with all the trivia about it you spill on here, right? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but then we're heading back to my original post.

• Haha 1

Just now, EvanG said:

I could have named any century. You do realize that there are a lot of non-native English speakers on here? Although I bet even native English speakers are scratching their heads often while reading some of the words you use.

You clearly have a lot of British pride however with all the trivia about it you spill on here, right? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but then we're heading back to my original post.

What on earth words do you mean? I honestly have no idea what you are going on about - nor your latter point. 

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Come on, he's funny and smart, even with all that British pride that sounds a bit abrasive. I like him, he doesn't like me, but I don't mind :lol:

I am non-native English speaker but I've been studying the language for decades. His posts are sometimes challenging for someone like me but I love the challenge, as it gives me a chance to improve my English, learn new words and expressions.

It is cool to have someone different posting like a sir from the 18th century, lol. Isn't it special?

• Like 1