Chinese Democracy: Rock in Rio III (2001) vs. Rock in Rio VII (2017)

Rock in Rio III (2001) vs. Rock in Rio VII (2017)   

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, nikothebellic said:

The answers are complete bias (for now). In 2017 we had Slash, Duff, Dizzy and Axl together, a hell of a setlist and a tight, decent and positively handled band. Yes, Axl wasn't in top form, but he wasn't in 2001 either. So, anyone who votes for III is just a fan of those band, or prefer to trash Axl's voice every time when he gets a chance. For me, 2001 is rather a joke than a real return of GnR.  Strangely to see these answers.  

The NITL band really does sound great, much better than the Ashba era. However, although it really is great to see him happier nowadays, vocally Axl still hasn't found his groove - his weird Neil Young impression is alot more jarring than his 2002 helium voice ever was, and has a habit of singing out of time with the rest of the band every now and then. Plus, Slash can't seem to stop wanking all over every song and turning the endings of each one into a 5 minute guitar solo, it's almost as if he's trying to take attention away from the rest of the band.

Don't mean to go too off topic but it's to me it's always been the worst, least interesting and redundant song on Chinese. I can honestly say i've probably listened to it ten times ever including bootlegs/demos but not at concerts. If it wasn't for the fact that the title of the album was seemingly set in stone I bet it wouldn't have made the album. 

2001 for me.
Song has never had the same energy since they changed from the lop sided rythym to a more generic beat.

Preferred when it just had the bass and synth/key parts in the verse too.

Slash trying to play Ron's verse bits just sounds messy imo and all the vocal parts are overkill.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2018 at 5:20 PM, nikothebellic said:

The answers are complete bias (for now). In 2017 we had Slash, Duff, Dizzy and Axl together, a hell of a setlist and a tight, decent and positively handled band. Yes, Axl wasn't in top form, but he wasn't in 2001 either. So, anyone who votes for III is just a fan of those band, or prefer to trash Axl's voice every time when he gets a chance. For me, 2001 is rather a joke than a real return of GnR.  Strangely to see these answers.  

Maybe people prefer the way the songs were originally meant to sound?

It's no different then  how I would rather hear Adler instead of Sorum on Brownstone. 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:38 AM, sl4yer said:

I really like Axl voice on ChD nowadays, he's singing it with a lot of power

I'd say it's the single most consistent song he's sang since 2001. In all eras since then, he sounds exactly the same on it, probably because it's a lower register and the raspy part of the chorus is affected in a way he really don't use on any other song that doesn't sound quite right but also doesn't seem to put any stress on his voice either. I think the only other song I've heard him use that particular style is the first half of the outro to Patience a few times during the last 2 years.

• Thanks 1