Epiphone Limited Edition Slash Firebird

Can’t hate the hustle. Those signed ones will sell out instantly and jump a few hundred or more on the secondary market. 

As far as a $900 epi firebird? With those pickups/wiring they put in every Slash guitar, I can’t see how it would sound much different. Those pickups are pretty overpowering sonically. If Firebirds are your thing I could see how that may appeal. Limited release until they decide to make more in a different finish.  

Have a Slash AFD Epiphone (not the cheap beginner ones) It’s more than enough to get my Slash fix when it pops up. It does what it should do if that makes sense. However I would def grab a Standard/Classic/Traditional if I wanted to go after a traditional LP sound rather than the Slash models.

I’m more of Fender scale/bolt on player personally though

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Can’t hate the hustle. Those signed ones will sell out instantly and jump a few hundred or more on the secondary market. 

As far as a $900 epi firebird? With those pickups/wiring they put in every Slash guitar, I can’t see how it would sound much different. Those pickups are pretty overpowering sonically. If Firebirds are your thing I could see how that may appeal. Limited release until they decide to make more in a different finish.  

Have a Slash AFD Epiphone (not the cheap beginner ones) It’s more than enough to get my Slash fix when it pops up. It does what it should do if that makes sense. However I would def grab a Standard/Classic/Traditional if I wanted to go after a traditional LP sound rather than the Slash models.

I’m more of Fender scale/bolt on player personally though

Yeah if you are going to go Epi Les Paul then the $500 range is the way to go.  If you want that AFD sound put some Seymour Duncan Alnico II Slash pickups in.  They are wound different for that AFD sound.  Did that with my Epi Les Paul, and couldn't be happier.  Still need to change the pots though so by the time I'm done I'll probably be in the entry level Gibson Les Paul range as far as costs.  My Epi has the coil tapping so you get that single coil stripped back blues sound as well. 

I do play a Strat for the classic sound, and Dean MAB III for shredding.  Although those are for when I'm in the mood.  My Les Paul is my everyday rocker.

1 hour ago, sc_gunner said:

Yeah if you are going to go Epi Les Paul then the $500 range is the way to go.  If you want that AFD sound put some Seymour Duncan Alnico II Slash pickups in.  They are wound different for that AFD sound.  Did that with my Epi Les Paul, and couldn't be happier.  Still need to change the pots though so by the time I'm done I'll probably be in the entry level Gibson Les Paul range as far as costs.  My Epi has the coil tapping so you get that single coil stripped back blues sound as well. 

I do play a Strat for the classic sound, and Dean MAB III for shredding.  Although those are for when I'm in the mood.  My Les Paul is my everyday rocker.

You can find used Slash epis for around 600-700 if you wait and look around. When you consider pickup upgrades/ pots and capacitors the cost difference to just grab one is almost negligible. Especially if you are not doing the mod yourself. All that stuff comes stock on those models.

Its just that they sound pretty particular (you sound sort of like Slash). Players may not find them versatile enough as a main player and would rather have that $ freed up elsewhere in the rig. 

If I want a LP sound I’ll grab my studio. If I want that Slash growl, the Slash models do replicate that very well. I would expect the new Firebird to do pretty much the same thing. Which isn’t any different than all the other models they have ever released save for the Snakepit guitar.

Maybe the response on these will be tepid and they don’t release any more. Could make it valuable down the line as a limited run. That’s the only thing that would make me buy one at this point 

9 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

You can find used Slash epis for around 600-700 if you wait and look around. When you consider pickup upgrades/ pots and capacitors the cost difference to just grab one is almost negligible. Especially if you are not doing the mod yourself. All that stuff comes stock on those models.

Its just that they sound pretty particular (you sound sort of like Slash). Players may not find them versatile enough as a main player and would rather have that $ freed up elsewhere in the rig. 

If I want a LP sound I’ll grab my studio. If I want that Slash growl, the Slash models do replicate that very well. I would expect the new Firebird to do pretty much the same thing. Which isn’t any different than all the other models they have ever released save for the Snakepit guitar.

Maybe the response on these will be tepid and they don’t release any more. Could make it valuable down the line as a limited run. That’s the only thing that would make me buy one at this point 

Yeah if I had to do it over I would have just bought the higher end Epi Les Paul AFD model.  As far as the sound my Les Paul makes, fortunately for me the Slash tone is exactly how I think a guitar should sound.  At least that is the sound that is in my head that I'm trying to bring to life.  Except the sound in my head varies slightly.  Kind of like if Slash had played lead in the Black Crowes.  A bluesy southern hard rock sound...

29 minutes ago, pentatonicamenor said:

Oops, didn't know

slash has released at least 8 signature guitars under epiphone since 2008 excluding the snakepit one which i believe was earlier and the numerous gibson guitars he has released.

• Like 1