Gibson_Guy87

Where would the band be if the UYI lineup had never broken up?

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Stones had at least eight masterpieces, and a whole host of near-masterpieces.

This string of consecutive albums will never be touched

Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Maine St (Double Album)
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock N' Roll

• Like 1

Answering a couple of replies here, it is a difficult decision because I have my own personal quirks regarding the Stones discography. I probably rate Goats Head Soup higher than the general consensus and Some Girls a tad lower - I love Some Girls, just that I'd probably rank it behind Black and Blue. And I have never been a Between the Buttons acolyte (you should talk to Len). I'm probably a bit kinder on their post-Wyman work than most also.

And Blue & Lonesome was staggeringly good but I think most people felt that.

Edited by DieselDaisy

If they had never broken up they’d probably be pretty boring by now. Maybe something similar to bon jovi or pearl jam. Still playing decent sized arenas but mainly nostalgia based........  hang on a minute

• Haha 2

Most likely they would have released a disappointing album in the late 90's, toured it to dwindling crowds and then broken up after the tour.  There would be no reunion because nobody would have been wanting it since they would have ended on a low note.  I just think that they were so dysfunctional after the UYI tour that there is a very low chance they could have created a good album of GNR music.  Even if Izzy came back to write/record, he wasn't really working WITH the band on UYI.

Plus, there's a good chance that at least Slash would be dead.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

The chap in your profile picture; he'd agree with me.

I finally listened to Izzy's 117° album for the first time ever the other day. 

All I kept thinking was "goddammit, this dude sure lives the Stones!" 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The chap in your profile picture; he'd agree with me.

I generally speaking like the Stones (especially their older material), but I use the word "masterpiece" pretty rarely when it comes to music.  But yeah, Izzy loves them. :)

The only stuff I dont really care on the Stones discography is their 80s imput, but I love Voodoo Lounge and everything that comes after, Bridges to Babylon is great. Different, but great. 

• Like 1