Estranged (Axl Rose piano demo)

Any evidence this is actually him and not just some dude playing piano?

Cause when all the Illusions demos were going around as far back as the early 90s, this wasn't one of them.

I think it's just a cover.

Unless someone has some concrete evidence to the contrary?

Cause when all the Illusions demos were going around as far back as the early 90s, this wasn't one of them.

I think it sounds like Axl, he has a very stabby approach and a heavy left hand which to me is unique enough that I would say it's him.

• Like 1

I agree. I don't recall this popping up until YouTube was around. Certainly wasn't around when Unwanted Illusion dropped or anything else in the 90s.

Love the piano demo, it shows the grand nature of Axl's vision, even then. It's great imo. But thank you Slash for turning it into a Guns song. Turned it into something else. Made it 10 times better.

• Like 1

I agree. I don't recall this popping up until YouTube was around. Certainly wasn't around when Unwanted Illusion dropped or anything else in the 90s.

The site refers this as "2nd edition"

My ass, this is fake as fuck

I think it sounds like Axl, he has a very stabby approach and a heavy left hand which to me is unique enough that I would say it's him.
I agree, it does sound like Axl.
  • Like 1

This was out years before CD? I never saw this online til it was posted on youtube sometime.

Got any proof?

First of all, I don't hear TIL in the beginning, but that's just me. Sounds to me like someone trying to sound like Axl. It's a piano cover of the finished song, not a demo.

This thing never showed up on any old bootlegs. I think it's just some piano asshole playing it.

I think I read somewhere that this was just an entry to some competition? Not sure, same with that extended Double Talkin' Jive acoustic outro "demo", those are two I'm unsure are by Axl/Slash or just innovative covers. It's weird how all the other demos from the UYI era sound like ass yet this is crisp and clean audio quality.

A guy named Víctor Hugo Santafé Ossa claims that's his cover from 2003.

So believe what you want....that a complete piano demo of Estranged somehow managed to not surface for years even though all the old UYI demos were already being traded.....or, that a talented pianist was able to mimic Axl's playing.

I think it's a cover, but if you really wanna believe it's Axl, I can't convince you.

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

It originally leaked on cd.com many years ago, and a user on there was severely pissed and was demanding the guy to take down the link after a trade when sour, it's probably still on there but good luck finding it so many years on

Well, I don't use facebook, but if I did I'd write to Victor and ask him myself if he has proof that was his recording.

I still think it's the most likely scenario. People have been making covers/fakes for years, and some of them have been good enough to fool people. And this isn't even vocals...this is just a guy playing piano. Something anyone can do and it'll sound like anyone else.

As for people getting "pissed" on cd.com....well, if you had something you thought was rare and it got leaked, you'd be pissed. Doesn't make it legit. Same with MSL trying to con people with his fake '99 AFD recordings that he made from Live Era tracks. People fake shit ALL the time.

Wanna hear a good fake that fooled a lot of people back in the day? Google "My Favorite Pillow" by ghost town road.

well , i have found that comment (5 months ago) in an oldest video :

Víctor Hugo Santafé Ossa

il y a 5 mois

Believe it or not, I recorded this on 2003, because I wanted to record a tribute to this song with people from around the world on the internet, But it never took flight, it is very funny to find about it now, and seeing it is mistaken for an Axl Demo, however it is very flattering :)

here's the link :

After reading you estrangedtwat ,i am looking for the second edition . http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-outtakes-2cds-320kps-108115.html

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=35414.0

youtube victor info :Colombian Keyboardist, Musician, Composer and Producer, part of the Heavy Metal Band INTROSPECCIÓN.

Played as part of the Timo Tolkki band in Colombia in 2009, and has shared stage with bands such as Iron Maiden, Edguy, Sepultura, Krisiun, Fear Factory, Death by Stereo.

anyone here have it ? i have the outtake only.

Edited by GnR*

Call me skeptical if you will, but I simply don't hear any similarity between the intro to NR above and the intro to the Estranged instrumental beyond just noodling around on the keys. It's an improv in both cases, and I certainly don't hear TIL in either of them.

And you've found sources for the 2CD bootleg going back to 2006, but this Victor guy claims to have recorded this cover in 2003.

And look. He's a GNR fan. And he's a very talented musician.

I don't have concrete proof, but the evidence so far suggests that this guy is telling the truth and it's his cover.

Occam's razor...you know? Which explanation is more simple (and likely)? This recording was by Axl and it didn't get "discovered" until 2006? Or that Victor did it?

Edited by estrangedtwat

I simply don't hear any similarity between the intro to NR above and the intro to the Estranged instrumental

Dude, they're nearly identical. That said, it could just be that that Victor guy interpolated that into his interpretation of Estranged, seeing as he claims to have played it in 2003 (i.e. he heard it in the bootleg and thought it would make a neat prelude)?