Film Thread

ssiscool

Really? I haven't seen this film, but all I heard about it, is that it is a piece of shit.Seeing

a newborn being raped
disgusts me and in that way has an effect on me. When 'disgust' is all that is achieved with it and it really doesn't serve any higher purpose in said film, it doesn't make the film good, even though it has an 'effect' on me.

Also, in a way modern man's obsession with the atrocious, the disgusting and the cruel in films worries me. While we are for one condemning for example public executions in the middle ages or the Roman gladiator-games the Romans, we aren't all that different. I know, it is fake, but still, people like to watch that shit. The more real it looks, the better people rate it. Those fake snuff movie films for example, serve no purpoese other than pleasuring a sick mind. I am not pointing the finger here, I admit having watched some pretty gruesome horrorfilms myself, but I'm just saying, we aren't all that different from what we used to be.

Edited by st0n3r

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Really? I haven't seen this film, but all I heard about it, is that it is a piece of shit.Seeing

a newborn being raped
disgusts me and in that way has an effect on me. When 'disgust' is all that is achieved with it and it really doesn't serve any higher purpose in said film, it doesn't make the film good, even though it has an 'effect' on me.

Also, in a way modern man's obsession with the atrocious, the disgusting and the cruel in films worries me. While we are for one condemning for example public executions in the middle ages or the Roman gladiator-games the Romans, we aren't all that different. I know, it is fake, but still, people like to watch that shit. The more real it looks, the better people rate it. Those fake snuff movie films for example, serve no purpoese other than pleasuring a sick mind. I am not pointing the finger here, I admit having watched some pretty gruesome horrorfilms myself, but I'm just saying, we aren't all that different from what we used to be.

I think you've REALLY got a point there but then couldn't you equate that mentality to cinema on the whole? Isn't it basically voyeurism without the risk? I genuinely believe what you've just written there to be true but i think, basically, in our heads we go to great psychic pains to seperate ourselves from the sick and deplorable but i don't think we're very far from it and i don't think we've ever been. Totally agree with you but then, thats great art, to make you realise certain things that wouldn't've immediately occured to you. For better or worse, those films, by virtue of existing, have bought you to that thought so hey, a purpose has been served.

I remember reading this thing (by Jim Morrison :lol:) and whatever one might say about him this makes a lot of sense that like, cinema satisfies the human desire to be like...to be God, to be all seeing and all knowing without like...any comebacks. To me that as a notion brings cinema squarely into perspective. And theatre too i suppose.

Perhaps though it's not so much about pleasuring a sick mind but more about wanting to go to certain places emotionally or with your senses that you can't and wouldn't want to go to in reality? The fact is that human beings are self obssessed. And not only with their personal shell but with ourselves as beings, thoroughly obssessed, like the nth degree of vanity and hence nothing interests us more than human expierience and we want to run the whole gamut of said expierience, instinctively, intuitively, we're drawn to these things, like people who watch horror movies that are terrified by them but still watch them.

Often the most sensitive people are the ones who will watch these sorts of movies because it pushes them emotionally to places where they...feel more for want of a better way of describing it.

I totally totally agree with you though, we aren't that different.

Edited by sugaraylen

Irreversible was another I started watched on some shock value.

Last Tango in Paris. Not too bad really.

Irreversible was straight up scarring. Well done from a film standpoint, but watching that is quite an experience. Ill never watch it again

Guest Len B'stard
Irreversible was another I started watched on some shock value.

See what i mean, that film got talked up on the basis of it being some kind of shocker but it's a work of art, it really is a brilliant film, it's not sick for the sake of sick. Last Tango, again, in the 70s that was a big Mary Whitehouse cause celebre which is a shame because people lost sight of what a magnificent and truly profound film it is.

And as far as a Serbian film, i ain't seen it yet but you wanna check out the history of Serbia, or any country for that matter and then think about whether whats represented on screen is done for shock value or whether it's the world that art reflects that is tawdry and cruel.

120 Days of Sodom, now THATS a fucked up film. Probably the most fucked up i've ever seen although a Serbian film and that August Mordum thingie are on my list now so we shall see. And see even that, even 120 DOS is y'know, justifiable artistically, it's De Sade innit?

I prefer films like this, in fact if it were up to me, all cinema would be in this vein. And not necessarily like, sick but i mean like...something that fucks with the senses, like Kenneth Anger stuff, things that fuck you up, things that are difficult to watch, things that are just really really far from your understanding.

I think cinema has the capacity and the ability to really really contribute something profound to humanity and it doesn't because it's just been kind of entrenched in commerce and turned into like, comic book land. Perhaps my "all films should be" line is stretching it a little but i do wish that cinema would, to paraphrase Marlon Brando, try and shoot for what is a little more elevated in human beings and not just the common denominator. And by that i don't mean everything should be pride and predudice i just thing people should look at cinema or the cinematic process and go, right, OK, this is the structure...now how can i subvert this as much as possible?

Film is capable of SOOO much and does so little, it's kind of sad.

Nic Roeg sort of plays with my mind without really slicing eyeballs.

I didn't realize Last Tango caused a stir. Stealing Beauty with Liv Tyler that was Bertolucci as well I think.

I think you need both ends of spectrum from Mel Brooks to David Lynch or whoever.

Guest Len B'stard

True on the needing both ends thing. I'd just love to see movies made to drive people insane. Film is basically an exercise in sensory manipulation and it'd be interesting to see whats possible when that is taken to the nth degree. sort of like human experiments, like Clockwork Orange :lol: It's corny when you put it like that but i do think it's possible to make cinema like, a truly mind expanding or mind altering effect.

Think about it, governments use it for like, propaganda or what have you, i seriously believe it's possible to effect change or advancement by using cinema if you use it properly. Various audio/visual combinations provoke varying reactions from the human brain, this we know as a certainty and i think personally that it's something worth exploring.

audience testing is out of control. that's why sometimes something as annoying as paranormal activity is funny. people squirming around like they watching Warhols Empire State Building. I've found that I can watch pure garbage and look at it from an arty perspective. might just have got bored during Transformers.

reading George Lucas bio. going back to QT nicking stuff. the inspiration for Star Wars is similar some Japanese samurai movies then basically the script was Flash Gordon meets Magnificient Seven. and not really much more effort than that. then all the filming of ships and aircraft hangers comes from his obsession with racing cars. like he did a movie of just filming the reflections on hub caps.

Yeah, i've got a Serbian Film, was reccomended to me by a Serbian, funnily enough, who actually took great exception to the title. Helluva thing to have your national identity tied to, eh? :lol: Haven't gotten around to watching it though because the guitar has effectively taken over my life. Skull-fucking and newborn rape huh? I shall have to have a peek :lol:

I'll have to have a peek at this Mordum flick though. There's something about when people say "fuck man, this films proper wrong, don't watch it, it's fucked up!" that shoots it to the top of my must watch list :lol:

I dunno why you lot are so bothered about it though, it's only a film after all, make believe, not real, acting.

The fact that they're real people and the way it's shot. Like a grainy Blair Witch. It's not of those movie's that take's a risque subject matter and throws some well known Hollywood actor ala 8MM(which I like just for the record) they're unknown's people you either know or can relate too. I know it's only a movie. It's mostly the fact that anyone could do this which I think is part of the intrigue of a snuff film to some people.

The basic idea that the dude next door to you, could do it and the way it's shot personally just bothered me.

That to me is like cinema at it's best, when it effects people like that, disturbs them, shakes them up. To me thats basically what a film is designed to do, get SOME form of response from a person and the degrees of that response to me dictate how good a film is and this sounds like it like...hit home with you and you appear from this thread to be a fairly seasoned moviegoer so i imagine it's not every movie that...gets a rise out of you like that.

Not many thing's really bother me in a film. Rape and a animal being hurt bother me. I don't think I've ever told this story here but a friend of mine and me were watching The Fly the remake, and it came to the scene where Goldblum's character is arm wrestling and if you haven't seen it, well let's just say you get an idea of what you're arm on the inside look's like. Now throughout this entire movie we were both eating Pasta. At that scene he paused and puked all over my floor, and I had acted like nothing happened.

I don't get a reaction out of a gorey scene, I respect how it was done if it was done pratically because I understand the work that goes into it. I can appreciate a great performance and will go home thinking a certain actor was great in their part, I can admire a score, etc. My nerves have been rattled only a few time's once while was watching Mordum, Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door, and Henry Portrait of a serial killer. Mordum for it's realism in the way it was shot and it's character, The Girl Next Door for real-life horrid crime happening in a small town, and everything about Henry rattled me.

a newborn being raped

Aside from the make-up affects and the realism of the characters the film isn't good. Then again that's not the point of the film either. The people who wanted to do it wanted to do something ala Cannibal Holocaust. They were going to leave random copies of the film all around Pittsburgh wait till it got some media recognition then come out and say it wasn't real.

When I watched the film it wasn't going "This is gona be awesome because it's fucked up" It's fucked up because like I said earlier it's regular people. Maybe I missed the point of the film but it had me rattled after because I know people with personality's similar to the characters in the film and to that extent I mean I know metal-head(who are perfectly stable mind you) who really dig horror movie's) That and thinking anyone can do this. Bothered me knowing someone could break into my house and do these thing's bothered me. Like, I'm not saying the acts of rape and torture don't bother me but when it boils down to it it's the characters that bother you the most.

True on the needing both ends thing. I'd just love to see movies made to drive people insane. Film is basically an exercise in sensory manipulation and it'd be interesting to see whats possible when that is taken to the nth degree. sort of like human experiments, like Clockwork Orange :lol: It's corny when you put it like that but i do think it's possible to make cinema like, a truly mind expanding or mind altering effect.

Think about it, governments use it for like, propaganda or what have you, i seriously believe it's possible to effect change or advancement by using cinema if you use it properly. Various audio/visual combinations provoke varying reactions from the human brain, this we know as a certainty and i think personally that it's something worth exploring.

It'd be interesting. I've always got a kick out of something someone said in a Horror documentary. "The entire notion that someone who constantly watches horror movie's is going to turn into a psychopath is ridiculous by that same notion, if you showed Disney film's to violent prisoners constantly they'd reform"

I think for the most part people enjoy identifying with what they like. But the conventions that are accepted by a culture must come from this mass of garbage that passes before our eyes. it must be like multiple reference points until it's accepted. movies seem more like embryonic ideas. What about cannibalism? Nah. but guy gets girl. We like. Repeat that as a default.

The Biggus Dickus scene in Life of Brian is the funniest movie scene ever made. Who agrees?

I do. Even if I just think the words 'Incontinentia... Incontinentia Buttocks', I start laughing.

Edited by st0n3r