Film Thread

ssiscool

Friend dragged me to the cinema last night on a whim, ended up watching this film thats like, a spin off from some TV show called The Inbetweeners. Was pleasantly suprised, it was really funny :)

Yeah it surprised me too. Series three was pretty atrocious. Glad they seemed to hold back some good bits for the movie.

Saw Arrietty the other day at a lovely wee theatre in Leicester Square. Studio Ghibli is always pretty wonderful to look at anyway but was completely oblivious that it was going to be like The Borrowers. Two polar opposite bits of my youth colliding there.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Arrietty the other day at a lovely wee theatre in Leicester Square. Studio Ghibli is always pretty wonderful to look at anyway but was completely oblivious that it was going to be like The Borrowers. Two polar opposite bits of my youth colliding there.

I didn't know it was out already, was it dub or sub?

Was subbed. I did not even ask before I booked the tickets I just walked past and got over excited. It really made no difference to be honest. Sometimes the dubbing can be a little clunky in some I have seen, and besides they tend to actually rely very little on dialogue. I had not really noticed that until Arrietty though.

Definitely a lovely way to spend an evening. The girlfriend loved it as she was completely uninitiated.

Was subbed. I did not even ask before I booked the tickets I just walked past and got over excited. It really made no difference to be honest. Sometimes the dubbing can be a little clunky in some I have seen, and besides they tend to actually rely very little on dialogue. I had not really noticed that until Arrietty though.

Definitely a lovely way to spend an evening. The girlfriend loved it as she was completely uninitiated.

Now I'm stoked to see it, but it's apparently not out in Canada until 2012, I'm assuming it'll be Dubbed by the time it's in theatres here.

I just figured something out: the reason Darth Maul is the only cool thing in the Star Wars prequels is that he doesn't speak. If they had given him any lines they would have ruined him too. Who agrees?

He did have one or two lines, but I do agree - he would have been less badass. Less is more in Maul's case.

Bad Bosses.

Well, if you like Hall Pass, Hot Tub Time Machine and all those types of movies, then you will like Bad Bosses.

It was pretty predictable. But Colin Farrell was excellent. Kevin Spacey looked like he had a lot of fun in his role. And Jason Bateman is awesome in everything he does.

I enjoyed the movie, it made me laugh.

But I wouldn't go see it again next weekend.

I think if I was a hollywood writer/producer/director I would try and get Bateman to be in every movie that I was invested in. I am going to say that he is my favorite comedic actor in the business right now.

Edited by Groghan

Robin Hood: Men In Tights again and Blades Of Glory for the first time. Many laughs were had. Talladega Nights is still my favorite Will Ferrell movie, no doubt, but Blades of Glory is an honorable second.

what about Step bros and Semi Pro? I saw Will F in Mall Rats other day. He's plays a cop in final shoot out.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights again and Blades Of Glory for the first time. Many laughs were had. Talladega Nights is still my favorite Will Ferrell movie, no doubt, but Blades of Glory is an honorable second.

what about Step bros and Semi Pro?

I saw Talladega Nights, Step Brothers and Semi Pro, on three consecutive evenings a few months ago. I mentioned it on this thread then, and there was a little discussion about them.

Talladega Nights is fantastic, one of my favorite comedies I've ever seen. I also quite enjoyed Semi Pro, but more as a feel good movie rather than a laugh out loud ultra funny comedy. Step Brothers on the other hand was not my thing. I can't quite put my finger on why though, maybe the humour was too crass for my taste? Or the characters too stupid? I'm not into stuff like Dumb & Dumber or 90s Adam Sandler movies either. There were some funny bits though.

Blades of Glory is imo a spiritual successor to Talladega Nights. Reminded me quite a lot of that one.

Don't bring your little kids to Cowboys vs Aliens. There were tons of tiny ones at the show tonight. It is not a little kids movie.

I thought that was obvious from the trailer, and the fact that it's rated PG-13 :shrugs:

You would think.

Oh, the poor children, they'll be scarred forever!

Watching Taxi Driver for the 70th time..

What a fucking film

Even if you've watched it 70 times, seeing it on Blu Ray was a revelation.

How? I have a PS3 and I'v enever ever put a Blue ray in there. not even the free SAW3-one I got with Condemned 2. I really don't see why I should re-buy a film I already own on DVD. Feel free to enlighten me. :)

Edited by st0n3r

Blu-ray just isn't for some people.

But, if you have a nice TV and a nice speaker set up, if you don't take advantage of blu-ray, you're dumb, imo :shrugs:

I'm working on building up my home theater, speaker by speaker now, and for me it would just be dumb if I stuck just to DVDs. Besides, on a TV like my own, I can clearly tell a quality difference from a DVD and a blu-ray in both video and audio.

Blu-ray is better, but as I said, it isn't for everyone.

Guest Len B'stard

Watching Taxi Driver for the 70th time..

What a fucking film

Even if you've watched it 70 times, seeing it on Blu Ray was a revelation.

How? I have a PS3 and I'v enever ever put a Blue ray in there. not even the free SAW3-one I got with Condemned 2. I really don't see why I should re-buy a film I already own on DVD. Feel free to enlighten me. :)

Agreed. For me it's less about picture quality and more about volume :lol: As in volume of movies. Once i've seen the fuckin Godfather i've seen the fuckin Godfather, VHS quality or otherwise, onto the next one for me. I used to be like that as a kid, watch the same movies over and over and over again but somewhere in my mid teens it became more about watching morer and different-er films.

I think it comes from being from the sort of VHS generation where, y'know, it was just the standard quality. That to me is like good, i like it, DVD to me is just like as good as it gets. I've never really watched Blu-Ray or any of that shit cuz it doesn't really interest me. You begin to wonder after a while though, after DVD, how much can you possible enhance picture quality without essentially meddling with the original product? And THAT i think is wrong. If in fact thats what goes on.

This happens all the fuckin time, viynl to tapes to fuckin CDs and mp3's and each one supposedly an infinite improvement on the one before, never fuckin is though. And like, i dunno, buying all the shit you've already got again but on a different format? I'm sorry but to me thats fuckin sickening. Personally i mean, to personally do that is sickening, not the idea of other people doing it, other people, do what you like but...fuckin hell, alls i can say is you must be pretty well off to be able to afford to do that shit.

Having said all of that i don't really watch movies anymore so what do i know.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Just saw the trailer for "killing bono". It looks like it could be interesting

And no soon as i'm done saying i don't watch movies no more someone up and gives me the name of a movie that sounds like i'd thoroughly enjoy it :lol: