Film Thread

ssiscool

I've never seen any of the Bourne films, and I like Matt Damon a decent bit, but does anyone think these three movies are a worth a blind-buy for like $25 on blu-ray?

Probably the best $25 you'll spend this year! :thumbsup:

Also, trying to decide on two of these Criterions out of this bunch:

Rushmore

Gojira

Dazed and Confused

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Gimmie Shelter

Any would be blind buys, besides Rushmore. Suggestions?

I have no idea what you just said.

So I'll go ahead and recommend Dazed and Confused and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I'd go for Dazed and Confused and Fear and Loathing too but Rushmore is also very good. I must have watched Fear and Loathing more than 50 times and I still don't know what happens. :lol:

"And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back"

You beautiful, beautiful man! I fucking love that quote! :thumbsup:

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking for other suggestions of possible cheap blu-rays, I'd recommend In Bruges, with Colin Farrell and Ralph Fiennes. Definitely one of the most underrated, best acted movies I've seen in awhile. Got to like dark comedies however.

Cheers,

Andrew

One of the best movies I've ever seen!

Guest Len B'stard

Watched Drop Dead Fred last night. My little niece is off on her summer holidays so if i ain't got nothin on i end up with babysitting duties so i thought i'd bung her down in front of something sweet and inoffensive. I leave the room a bit of the way through to go for a quick fag and i come back and she's in fuckin' floods of tears and i'm like, oh God, what have i fuckin' put her in front of and i'm like whats the matter and she's crying cuz Fred has to go, AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...bless her dear heart, had to hug her for ages cuz she wouldn't stop crying...then it was like sniffles and trembling, she was that like...hurt by Fred having to go :lol:

But he comes back at the end with the other little girl so everything was alright...fuck me, the things you find yourself having to do when you get older :lol:

Their reactions are hilairious too, anything like kissing and she's like "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!" any swearing and she's like, cover her mouth and look at me like i'm supposed to react or something, like some awful sin has been committed :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

I'm somewhat leaning towards Fear and Loathing before D&C.

I don't know. Need more opinions, dammit. Angelica?

Dazed & Confused is a better, more re-watchable film than Fear and Loathing.... Gimmie Shelter is also essential, though.

WESTERN MOVIES

Anyone is a big fan of this genre like me? Some classics I like (no order of preference): The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (perhaps my favorite one), The Big Country (a great metaphor of how big--in all terms--are the United States--and I'm not american), The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (one of the best, of course), Once Upon a Time in the West, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, The Searchers, Stagecoach, Fort Apache, Unforgiven, For a Few Dollars More, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Ox-Bow Incident, Rio Bravo, Giant, The Shootist, Dances with Wolves (although the end, the anthropological lesson, is a crap).

Any indications?

Watched The Graduate and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid over the past few nights. Turns out I wasn't really missing much. Also, I watched a Jack Nicholson movie about a guy who switches his identity and walks away from his old life called The Passenger. I thought it was pretty good; 70's movies are the best after all.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard

WESTERN MOVIES

Anyone is a big fan of this genre like me? Some classics I like (no order of preference): The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (perhaps my favorite one), The Big Country (a great metaphor of how big--in all terms--are the United States--and I'm not american), The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (one of the best, of course), Once Upon a Time in the West, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, The Searchers, Stagecoach, Fort Apache, Unforgiven, For a Few Dollars More, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Ox-Bow Incident, Rio Bravo, Giant, The Shootist, Dances with Wolves (although the end, the anthropological lesson, is a crap).

Any indications?

HUGE HUGE fan. I've seen so many fucking westerns honestly, it'd take the rest of my life to try and list em but suffice to say i've seen most westerns you could think of, just love the fuckin' genre, all the Spaghetti Westerns, The Henry Fonda ones like Warlock and My Name is Nobody & Drums Along the Mohawk, pretty much every western he was in actually, John Wayne i've literally seen every western he made, even the earlier hour long B movie ones that kinda recycled the same 8 or 9 stories over and over :lol: Jimmy Stewart had some great ones with Winchester 73 and Shenadoah and The Man From Laramie, then like, How the West Was Won and many many of the obscure Spaghetti Westerns like the Djangos and Death Rides a Horse with Lee Van Cleef, the old Gary Cooper classics too, in fact most of the Westerns he ever made, even Gene Autry i've seen most of his...and like, the ol' Johnny Mack Brown ones, i've yet to find anyone of this planet whoose seen those, ever seen em? :) And Johnny Guitar with Sterling Hayden and Joan Crawford i believe? Oh, and how could i forget, fuckin' Randolph Scott, seen the vast majority of his westerns too.

What about Western TV shows like Have Gun Will Travel, Bonanza, Rawhide...and Clint Eastwood, shit, i could recite the script to all his fuckin' westerns...literally all of em, amazing movies (except maybe Paint your Wagon :lol:). Always adored Westerns.

Went and saw Beasts of the Southern Wild. It was a good movie, but I wasn't really feeling it.

Really?? It's by far my favorite film of the year so far. I assume The Master will trump it, but aside from that, I don't expect anything else to better it. I was enthralled.

Went and saw Beasts of the Southern Wild. It was a good movie, but I wasn't really feeling it.

Really?? It's by far my favorite film of the year so far. I assume The Master will trump it, but aside from that, I don't expect anything else to better it. I was enthralled.

Moonrise Kingdom is my favorite movie of the year so far. I might not have been in the right mood or something last night when I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild. I did find it hard to understand what the people were saying sometimes, too. I will probably give it another shot when it comes out on bit torrent though. It felt like something I should have really liked, but I just didn't for whatever reason.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Moonrise Kingdom is my favorite movie of the year so far. I might not have been in the right mood or something last night when I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild. I did find it hard to understand what the people were saying sometimes, too. I will probably give it another shot when it comes out on bit torrent though. It felt like something I should have really liked, but I just didn't for whatever reason.

Weird. I actually saw Beasts and then Moonrise on the same night at the Sydney Film Festival. I was expecting a lot of Moonrise (and it's totally lovely) and I knew virtually nothing about Beasts, and I was completely blown away by it. And to the extent that it utterly overshadowed Moonrise.

Have you seen Safety Not Guaranteed? I've heard it is really good, but I missed seeing it when it was out here.

No, it hasn't opened here yet. Is it full mumblecore? I'm not sure what I think of that shit (although I loved Humpday, Cyrus and Tiny Furniture).

Have you seen Safety Not Guaranteed? I've heard it is really good, but I missed seeing it when it was out here.

No, it hasn't opened here yet. Is it full mumblecore? I'm not sure what I think of that shit (although I loved Humpday, Cyrus and Tiny Furniture).

I'm not too sure. Sounds like a charming little indie flick.