TO END ALL GUITAR DEBATE

springclean

Who's your favourite guitarist in CD-era Guns?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question.

If Bucket is so great, why hasn't any of the songs he is all over, tearing up the radio?

honest question.

Because that obviously doesn't determine greatness. I'm more than sure you like more obscure bands who you would consider great.

Edited by LightningBolt

Honest question.

If Bucket is so great, why hasn't any of the songs he is all over, tearing up the radio?

honest question.

Because it's not the old band - simple as that. The radio stations won't play it out of principle. Has nothing to do with Bucket.

I like Fortus the most though

I don't understand. What has Fortus done that makes him your favorite? You like the way he looks?

Amazing.

?

No, of all the solo spots I've seen his are the most entertaining and tasteful, he's a great guitar player and he doesn't get enough attention. Excuuuse me for thinking so, the guy rocks wayyy fuckin harder that this Ashba tool.

If you wanna talk about his looks, I think there's something strange about a 43 year old emo man... He has some pretty cool tattoos though

?

No, of all the solo spots I've seen his are the most entertaining and tasteful, he's a great guitar player and he doesn't get enough attention. Excuuuse me for thinking so, the guy rocks wayyy fuckin harder that this Ashba tool.

If you wanna talk about his looks, I think there's something strange about a 43 year old emo man... He has some pretty cool tattoos though

What has Fortus done outside of GNR that I can listen to?

Edited by ashysdad

?

What has Fortus done outside of GNR that I can listen to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD5nwfS01c0

He was in these two bands, and he joined the Psychadelic Furs when they reformed. He's also done a ton of session work with other artists, appearing on albums and such, just google his name

• 1 month later...

AXL of course. Okay, not really. xP This was a hard one. >.< I like Ashba a lot, he's really grown on me in the past few months. Bumble is beyond awesome and so is Fortus, but I voted for Bucket..cause well..he's Bucket. :xmasssanta:

Edited by WhatsHerface

Guest Len B'stard

Everything post Finck is a bit of a cocksuck to me. It was finally they were getting to the point where they were a cohesive band, a band that sorta contributed heavily to the matierial and kinda grow in that mould, away perhaps in a direction of their own, a bit of a departure from the identity of the original band and then what? Y'lose Finck, you get Ron Thal, great guitarist but he strikes me as someone who might perhaps be better suited to doing virtuostic online tutorial than playing a rock n roll band, Buckethead was just the fuckin man, he was the complete and entire article y'know, a great replacement for Slash because Slash was the great article too, great playing, great look, great everything, Buckethead was all of that in fucking hyperdrive, a perfect chapter in the Guns n Roses myth, lets face it, whoever they're gonna get now ain't gonna be no outlaw rock n roll doped out fuckin...true blue rock n roller, they just ain't that band anymore and good thing too cuz they'd look a little silly and freeze dried tryna pull that off in 2010.

People have never thought a lot of Robin Finck on these boards for as long as i can remember and i can never understand why, the closest i got to answer was that he was sloppy but so what? Sloppys good, i like sloppy, Keith Richards is sloppy y'know although i'm not sure he'd like hearing me say that. He leant something to the band, something a little unclean, a little ragged, a little like what a rock n roll band SHOULD sound like, i fell in love with him after hearing him do Sossego in Rio.

So outta that bunch, Robin Finck and Buckethead. Something about Richard Fortus don't do it for me either. He strikes me as a kinda...i dunno, a session guy. Ron Thal, again, seems like an amazing lovely person, someone you'd REALLY like to know and he plays like a motherfucker but its all very technical dispassionate feeling shit to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The album went through a lot of phases, but I feel like Buckethead and Finck were the primary contributors. Anyone familiar with Bucket's solo work can pretty much detect the fact that a lot of the actual structure of the songs have much of his input...Axl is a very smart musician and obviously detected Bucket's talent and channeled that into the music. Finck's style can be alienating to some, particularly on the older material, but I think on his own work he definitely brings it - he's unique and distinct and has his own thing going on, which is admirable. He and Bucket were a cool duo.

Ron and Fortus definitely added some cool touches here and there, but I think this is definitely a Bucket/Finck effort for the most part. Most of the album's best moments - like the solos on TWAT - come down primarily to those crazy bastards.

Edited by Estranged Reality

• 1 year later...