one in a million

conehead88

There are way worse songs (rap anybody?) out there that get played loudly without shame, and are even on the radio........

Name some.

Name some songs, that most of the public loves and that contain considerable questionable lyrics?

Especially in terms to race.

Name one?

Hey bro, this comes from Dr.Dre's highly popular multi platinum album the chronic, considered by many critics as his best...

Ya see when black persons get together they get mad cuz they can't fade us

Like my black persons from South Central, Los Angeles

They find that they couldn't handle us

Bloods, Crips on the same squad

with the Ese's thumpin, black person it's time ta rob and mob

And break the white man off somthin lovely, biddy-bye-bye

Oh, how about all the homophobic lyrics found in rap (or do you not give a shit about those because they aren't "racisit"......)

Go DJ – Lil’ Wayne

“You snakes, stop hidin in the grass,

Sooner or later I'll cut it knock the blades in yo ass,

You homo black persons getting AIDS in the ass,

While the homie here tryna get paid in advance”

Let's not go into the MANY examples from Eminem and 50 cent....

How about lyrics which take a step back towards race relations regarding interracial relationships?

Hungry – Common

“Downtown interracial lovers hold hands,

I breathe heavy like an old man, with a cold can of Old Style”

**************** Listen man, to be honest i dont give a shit what you think given how dense you portray yourself, love how you gravitate to race. Face it, the word n***** is out there, it's a fucking terrible word that ALL people need to stop using.

I don't really listen to rap all that often because i thing it has just gotten terrible, but there are many more of these examples out there, but to be honest, i don't need to prove a point to you or anybody, this shit is soooooooo self evident i don't even need to talk.

PS: Don't let me go into how bad Rap objectifies women of all races, with all that bullshit "superman that ho" - great lyric einstein WTF?!?!?!?

Edited by ohmygod

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't really get the big deal with axl using the words person and black person......i would have thought he'd lost he's mind if he werw to sing homo-sexual persons and african american :crazy:

and in todays world, neither the N's or the F's are any serious concern/problem worthy.....the muslims are.....

think about it, if axl had problems with muslims and called em out.....he most likely would be killed by some wackjob rather soon

Love the song wouldn't change a thing!

I look at like many others it is ok for black to call another black a "_black person" but if a white person does it totally different thing. Makes no sense to me. I hear black people calling each other that day in and day out at work, kids on the street it is very common place.

_black person is just a word that can be taken how ever the person wants to take it kind of like saying "Fuck You"or calling someone a "son of a bitch" to somebody if your playing it all fine and dandy but you say that when someone is angry then it's total different reaction.

I know folks are going try and say I am a racist for what I just posted just because I put one word in it. It was not right to have slavery no two ways about it, just ain't right. But just get tried if the double standard not on just this but alot of things involving race issue it is a very touchy subject. I had nothing to do with anyone being a slave or whatever but yet there are alot of people (not everyone) that come off to me like I owe them something because of something that happened long before I was born.

Hear is a pretty good example my son a senior this year was up town where all the kids get together and him and this one kid have been at each other for years and yes the kid is black. He called my son a cracker and a few other choice racial slurrs and of course my son gave hime a few back and told him to set down and shoot up and of course the kids did as always. My son is 17 years old 6'8" 279lbs and would just destroy the poor kid if they ever fought and I tell him all the time you are so much bigger and stronger than most kids you only fight if given no other option and i also got on to him for calling the kid what he did. With my son it's a catch 22 I tell him not to fight but he has to put of with people (and I hate to say this because of the possible reaction it mostly the black kids) that no what he has been told by me and they use it to there advange so they can look all big and bad to there friends for bashing the big guy when it just ain't the case my son has to answer to me after a fight and I ALWAYS check the story out and if he is just doing it to mean then I would be the one to take him police because of what he done if he was wrong and he can take his punishment (which has yet to happen and hope it never does) and one day the kid will start in and my son will be in a bad mood and it won't be pretty and it will all be turned racial because of this little problem they had a few weeks back and it will be remembered I am sure.

Edited by bigcountry

I find it strange that people think the lyrics are bad because they contain the words "n i g g e r " and "f a g g o t". Words in themselves are never bad, why should we be afraid of words? The meaning behind the words, how they are used, the message that is delivered -- on the other hand -- is a completely different matter because they convey the sentiment of the messenger, and sentiments can be dangerous because they can sway people and even stimulate actions. The words themselves are not dangerous, only the meaning of the sentences they form.

So when people in this thread write as if it is the usage of "n i g g e r" that is the problem, and not the whole context of the lyrics and how that word and others are used, then I start to wonder what is wrong with people. Do these same people think this post is just as bad as the lyrics since both contain the dreaded "n-word"? And just the fact that people are unwilling to write out "n i g g e r" with real letters even when they mean no offense by using it, or rather just want to discuss its common usage in a completely non-discriminating way, just emphasises how weird the whole situation is. Are you people unable to understand that words are just tools we use to convey messages, and that it is the messages that are to watch out for, not the words themselves? There is nothing wrong with writing "n i g g e r" but there may certainly be something wrong with the context of how it is used and the message that the messenger seeks to deliver.

For some reason I find mostly Americans struggling with this concept. Can someone please tell me why they are so afraid of unintentionally upsetting people by using "bad" words in non-confrontational sentences that they refrain from using them at all? It's a culture under siege by words. How ridiculous.

EDIT: I see that the n-word I used has been censored to "black person", and hence kinda ruining my whole post. I have tried to fix it by typing out the n-word.

Edited by SoulMonster

It's a great song and the lyrics have a lot of truth to them. Of course some use of words and phrases are going to offend people but the meaning of the song is true on many levels.

I have no problem listening to it when out and about, nor singing it around friends.

I find it strange that people think the lyrics are bad because they contain the words "black person" and "person". Words in themselves are never bad, why should we be afraid of words? The meaning behind the words, how they are used, the message that is delivered -- on the other hand -- is a completely different matter because they convey the sentiment of the messenger, and sentiments can be dangerous because they can sway people and even stimulate actions. The words themselves are not dangerous, only the meaning of the sentences they form.

So when people in this thread write as if it is the usage of "black person" that is the problem, and not the whole context of the lyrics and how that word and others are used, then I start to wonder what is wrong with people. Do these same people think this post is just as bad as the lyrics since both contain the dreaded "n-word"? And just the fact that people are unwilling to write out "black person" with real letters even when they mean no offense by using it, or rather just want to discuss its common usage in a completely non-discriminating way, just emphasises how weird the whole situation is. Are you people unable to understand that words are just tools we use to convey messages, and that it is the messages that are to watch out for, not the words themselves? There is nothing wrong with writing "black person" but there may certainly be something wrong with the context of how it is used and the message that the messenger seeks to deliver.

For some reason I find mostly Americans struggling with this concept. Can someone please tell me why they are so afraid of unintentionally upsetting people by using "bad" words in non-confrontational sentences that they refrain from using them at all? It's a culture under siege by words. How ridiculous.

The message IS bad.

It's a great song and the lyrics have a lot of truth to them. Of course some use of words and phrases are going to offend people but the meaning of the song is true on many levels.

If you live in a trailer and fuck your sister.

Love the song wouldn't change a thing!

I look at like many others it is ok for black to call another black a "_black person" but if a white person does it totally different thing. Makes no sense to me. I hear black people calling each other that day in and day out at work, kids on the street it is very common place.

_black person is just a word that can be taken how ever the person wants to take it kind of like saying "Fuck You"or calling someone a "son of a bitch" to somebody if your playing it all fine and dandy but you say that when someone is angry then it's total different reaction.

I know folks are going try and say I am a racist for what I just posted just because I put one word in it. It was not right to have slavery no two ways about it, just ain't right. But just get tried if the double standard not on just this but alot of things involving race issue it is a very touchy subject. I had nothing to do with anyone being a slave or whatever but yet there are alot of people (not everyone) that come off to me like I owe them something because of something that happened long before I was born.

Hear is a pretty good example my son a senior this year was up town where all the kids get together and him and this one kid have been at each other for years and yes the kid is black. He called my son a cracker and a few other choice racial slurrs and of course my son gave hime a few back and told him to set down and shoot up and of course the kids did as always. My son is 17 years old 6'8" 279lbs and would just destroy the poor kid if they ever fought and I tell him all the time you are so much bigger and stronger than most kids you only fight if given no other option and i also got on to him for calling the kid what he did. With my son it's a catch 22 I tell him not to fight but he has to put of with people (and I hate to say this because of the possible reaction it mostly the black kids) that no what he has been told by me and they use it to there advange so they can look all big and bad to there friends for bashing the big guy when it just ain't the case my son has to answer to me after a fight and I ALWAYS check the story out and if he is just doing it to mean then I would be the one to take him police because of what he done if he was wrong and he can take his punishment (which has yet to happen and hope it never does) and one day the kid will start in and my son will be in a bad mood and it won't be pretty and it will all be turned racial because of this little problem they had a few weeks back and it will be remembered I am sure.

This double standard you speak of doesn't exist, and I don't believe you hear blacks calling other blacks the n word on a daily basis.

A great shock value song with at catchy tune. What more would you expect from G n' R. Isn't this style of music what made Gun's what they are today. Sure, a few of the lyrics are offensive to some people, but this is what we call freedom of speech.

If you don't want to here it, then don't play it. I have friends that have come from all over the world and i also have gay friends, listening to One in a million doesn't make me hate them though.

I think that what we are all forgetting is that we are who we are regardless of race or sexual preference. To judge another person by there way of thinking would only be hypocritical.

SunnyDRE:

Yes it is an every day thing here whether you believe me or not and here there is a double standard when words of race are used.

Here is another example:

2nd day of basketball practice which I attended the blacks where using n i g g e r at one another. The coach stopped practice and to tell them n i g g e r is something he didn't want to here because if a person not black used it they would get pissed so why do it to each other? It took a little braking of the colored athletes but after the WHOLE team not just the offenders having to run an ungodly amount each time it happened the seniors both black and white took over, kind of close doors thing and said the next person black white or other wise that said that was getting an ass kickin because they where tired of having to run just because some people can't get something through there head.

I could go on an on about this and how often it happens but I see no need. Some people just live a sheltered life I guess.

it's a shitty song because of the lyrics. There's no other way to slice it.

I disagree. All the other elements of the song are very strong, musically. It's not like in poetry when the art consists only of words.

Thats like saying even though Hitler was a bad dude, he was still smart......imo.

The song is racist. It is not Axl's finest hour.

Anyone who finds this song musically strong and enjoys the melody but can't listen to it because of the lyrics is an insecure pussy.

I disagree. All the other elements of the song are very strong, musically. It's not like in poetry when the art consists only of words.

Thats like saying even though Hitler was a bad dude, he was still smart......imo.

Anyone who finds this song musically strong and enjoys the melody but can't listen to it because of the lyrics is an insecure pussy.

Or maybe they don't enjoy listening to hate speech.

It is what the song is.

Like it or not.

:violin:

The song rocks, I wouldn't change it.

If you take offence to it, don't listen to it, simple as that.

You have no problems with stuff like 'Its So Easy', 'Back Off Bitch', 'Anything Goes' e.t.c. which could be easily seen as derogatory to women, yet as soon as he says 'n******s' or 'f****ts', you have a problem. :drevil:

And I love how the haters of this song totally overlook the third verse....

Edited by seely

I love the song "one in a million", but the lyrics are a bit "faux pas" with the mentioning of immigrants and persons, and all that.

Cant help but feeling awkward if im whisteling it in the street.

Im not racist, but its such a catchy tune, and i was wondering if anyone else has the same problem with the song.

i also heard that the song might not be axl roses opinion, but infact just the opinion of someone who hates people coming into the country, some crazy guy that just hates everything, but he loves this girl who has softened his heart, or something like that.

But i also heard that axl rose inserted speaches from martin luther king into his song "madagaskar" as some sort of appology, but that could be rubbish.

anyways, i was wondering what use all thought.

thanks

I'm not ashamed to sing it or wistle it. I live in a free country (Canada) where you can marry a fucking moose.

Multiculturalism has already taken the cross out of schools and airports and also has ruined my pea soup (No ham!!! Those in quebec you know what i'm saying!) I can't even say "merry christmas" anymore without fucking getting dirty looks. So whats the difference with singing this so called "racist song"?

+1

"People" need to stop playing the victim card.

I really don't see anyone playing the victim card in this thread. If you listen to a song and don't like the lyrics, you're an insecure pussy? The song is shit and lyrics are stupid, and written by an insecure pussy simply to stir up some controversy.

The funny thing to me, is anytime threads about this song are started, alot of non-us members defend it, and I'm always like, "you dumbass, it is you he is talking about."

So non-US = immigrant? :question:

The reason why non-US members defend the song is because their perception is not as skewed by the aggressively promoted notion of political correctness. It's a real problem, it even prevents some from whistling a tune they like in public because of a ridiculous sense of guilt and shame. :crazy:

I'm definitely against using the word black person in a derogatory way but should one really be ashamed to like One in a Million? The lyrics are written from the perspective of an ignorant, angry person, that much is obvious. But should the song be censored because of that? IMO definitely not. I love the song, one of my favorites.

A song that makes you think, a song that gets you emotional, makes you mad, makes you sad, makes you want to do something about it, makes you have all kinds of feelings, makes you get on the internet and talk about how much you hate it, sounds like a great song to me. His words may disturb but at least its a reaction.

A song that makes you think, a song that gets you emotional, makes you mad, makes you sad, makes you want to do something about it, makes you have all kinds of feelings, makes you get on the internet and talk about how much you hate it, sounds like a great song to me. His words may disturb but at least its a reaction.

Yea this whole argument is talked about in Dont Damn Me and in Oh My God. If we cant say what we want to say because it may offend someone somewhere, then how free are we then? Axl knew what he was getting into, but he realized that what everyone thinks about the song really does not matter to him in the long run. If it was just any bland 80's rock song, we wouldn't have 4 pages discussing the emotional effect behind one man's lyrics.

Yea this whole argument is talked about in Dont Damn Me and in Oh My God. If we cant say what we want to say because it may offend someone somewhere, then how free are we then? Axl knew what he was getting into, but he realized that what everyone thinks about the song really does not matter to him in the long run. If it was just any bland 80's rock song, we wouldn't have 4 pages discussing the emotional effect behind one man's lyrics.

This.