GNR 1991

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't help but laugh at everyone saying "we dont need slash"

what a bunch of morons

LOL

Duff makes a guest appearance, as Izzy did some years ago, and you think we need Slash? That's worth laughing at, ahahaha.

Funny thing is, just like with Duff...if Slash DID come on and do 3-4 songs, everyone would be busting a nut over it. It's hilarious. People talk SO much shit about the old guys and downplay them into the ground but as soon as something happens they're the first ones to say good things about it.

It would be funny to see what happens imo. If a reunion happened, would the die hard "nu-gnr" fans, the ones who have said the worst things about the original group...walk away? Or would they magically do a 180 and try an convince everyone they were with it from the start? I've always wondered this.

Oh, you don't need to wonder about it. These people would do a 180 so fast that they'd get dizzy just from doing that one half turn. They are the bandwagon jumpers of the GN'R world. Honestly, where are all the people who were dumping on Duff all these years? There were plenty of them on the forums, lumping Duff and Slash together into one evil conglomerate bent on bleeding Axl dry and holding up the release of Chi Dem (:lol:), and funny, for some reason now I don't see them anywhere.

Anyways, it's obviously awesome seeing Duff with Axl again. I'm not expecting much to come of it though. It would be nice if it did, but it still feels like there is this gigantic chasm in the way. Axl was always sort of open to working with Izzy and Duff, but certainly drew a line at Slash. As for those saying Slash wouldn't be needed, I mean, do you people actually know how big the old band was, and how integral to it Slash was? Because I don't think you do. To say they can add Izzy and Duff but we don't need Slash, it's pretty laughable really.

Edited by KBear

can't help but laugh at everyone saying "we dont need slash"

what a bunch of morons

LOL

Duff makes a guest appearance, as Izzy did some years ago, and you think we need Slash? That's worth laughing at, ahahaha.

Funny thing is, just like with Duff...if Slash DID come on and do 3-4 songs, everyone would be busting a nut over it. It's hilarious. People talk SO much shit about the old guys and downplay them into the ground but as soon as something happens they're the first ones to say good things about it.

It would be funny to see what happens imo. If a reunion happened, would the die hard "nu-gnr" fans, the ones who have said the worst things about the original group...walk away? Or would they magically do a 180 and try an convince everyone they were with it from the start? I've always wondered this.

Oh, you don't need to wonder about it. These people would do a 180 so fast that they'd get dizzy just from doing that one half turn. They are the bandwagon jumpers of the GN'R world. Honestly, where are all the people who were dumping on Duff all these years? There were plenty of them on the forums, lumping Duff and Slash together into one evil conglomerate bent on bleeding Axl dry and holding up the release of Chi Dem (:lol:), and funny, for some reason now I don't see them anywhere.

Anyways, it's obviously awesome seeing Duff with Axl again. I'm not expecting much to come of it though. It would be nice if it did, but it still feels like there is this gigantic chasm in the way. Axl was always sort of open to working with Izzy and Duff, but certainly drew a line at Slash. As for those saying Slash wouldn't be needed, I mean, do you people actually know how big the old band was, and how integral to it Slash was? Because I don't think you do. To say they can add Izzy and Duff but we don't need Slash, it's pretty laughable really.

Who cares really? Maybe Axl has something called integrity? I don't know. I think everyone is pretty aware that Guns would be bigger with Slash. So just because of that Axl should pretend to like Slash and just bring him over? What's the point?

Mainly a screen vid, but you can see some Axl and Duff interaction at the start.

The guy who uploaded is planning on putting up a better sound quality one later.

I never forget Duff's comment on Chinese Democracy. 'Axl sounds good..' - Duff

I bet Axl picked up on the up lifting effect Duff's presence had on the audience. Imagine if Slash, Izzy, and Adler showed up to :thumbsup:

Edited by star

am i the only one that thinks axl didnt look "comfortable" having duff on stage ??

I said that last night.

I thought they looked good. It was an unplanned thing, they havent been on stage together in what, 17 years, just the fact that Axl wanted Duff on stage says a lot.

am i the only one that thinks axl didnt look "comfortable" having duff on stage ??

I got that vibe. It seemed the rest of the band was happier to have Duff there than Axl was. Duff had the most interaction with Tommy of all people.

But maybe it wasn't not being comfortable, maybe it was just awkward for him. Or maybe Axl he just didn't want to look like he was having too much fun :lol: People are reading too much into this event anyway! Joking there, it was probably just really weird for both of them.

Weird thing is, at the end of the song as Duff was leaving the stage Axl didn't even acknowledge him. He introduced him to the public, but barely looked at him. No handshake, high five, fist bump, Japanese bow, anything

I got that vibe. It seemed the rest of the band was happier to have Duff there than Axl was. Duff had the most interaction with Tommy of all people.

But maybe it wasn't not being comfortable, maybe it was just awkward for him. Or maybe Axl he just didn't want to look like he was having too much fun :lol: People are reading too much into this event anyway! Joking there, it was probably just really weird for both of them.

Weird thing is, at the end of the song as Duff was leaving the stage Axl didn't even acknowledge him. He introduced him to the public, but barely looked at him. No handshake, high five, fist bump, Japanese bow, anything

Because to Axl, Duff being a special guest is no different to Sorum playing a song, or Gilby, or Robin Finck, or Buckethead. He's just one of the former Gunners. Maybe he didn't want to take away from Tommy either.

I get the impression Duff had most interaction with Bumblefoot anyway, we know they're friends.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I said that last night.

It wasn't rehearsed of course there was going to be a few 'uncomfortable' moments. Not that I thought there was anything uncomfortable about it. There was chemistry there. I'm not going into it anymore because I don't care for all this 'reunion' talk.

I love the band as it is and it was cool that Duff came on stage and things were positive.

If Axl didn't want Duff on stage with him then he wouldn't have been there. Simple as.

I got a good feeling out of it really. Axl talking about hearing music down the hall. Then he acknowledged Duff on rhythm guitar and them looking like Ted Nugent after Niceboys. It was just unrehearsed. I'm sure if they do it again it'll be more relaxed especially Duff who looked a little dazed in a good way.

Axl said he wouldn't feel comfortable doing anything with more than one of the alumni. Maybe having a guy who left Axl to be so close to Slash like Duff was a bit uncomfortable. I mean Izzy and Slash may talk, but they aren't exactly best friends either and don't really collaborate THAT much, whereas Duff has been in a band with Slash for nearly a decade now.

Plus, Axl and Izzy were friends long before Guns even existed, and have perhaps a sort of comradery that goes outside of business and music--They are/were friends before anything else. Can't say the same for Duff and him--their only real tie is Guns. Duff is a nice guy and I'm sure Axl considers him so, but it's not really the same relationship as with Izzy.

Also, all indications (interviews over the years and the like) make it seem that Duff and Axl hadn't even spoken since 1998, whereas Izzy and Axl were in and off contact even after he left--when Izzy rejoined in 1995, after that when Axl asked for the tapes from Izzy rejoining the band, etc. Plus all Izzy asked when he left was that he retain a percentage of whatever the band made until November 1997--and since then doesn't get any percentage.

Also, Duff has taken part in the lawsuits Slash has filed over the years against Axl (whereas Izzy didn't), and was a part of the 1992 contract in which Axl got the name and all of that ensuing crap. So there's more negativity there, I would say.

Edited by MetalForever

For those saying they looked awkward, it was totally unrehearsed. Really, they all looked like they were having a blast to me. Also, Axl clearly invited Duff to be onstage with them--he wouldn't have been there if Axl didn't invite him. These two are old pros, and don't need to hug and kiss onstage. I'm sure they hung out before and after the show, and are totally cool with each other. Moreover, anyone who thinks these guy's haven't communicated, is living in another world. None of them will spill it to the press, but I am sure everyone from the former band, except for Axl and Slash (actually they probably have communicated some), probably chat from time to time. Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, as well as Keith Richards and Mick Jaggar all have said that when they had their nasty break-ups, that they would phone each other from time to time late at night and chat, with the rule that "no one in the press can ever find out about this discussion". I'm sure with licensing, back catalog sales, etc., the guy's are forced to communicate at some point. In addition, both Duff and Axl have been very friendly to each other in the press for the past three or four years, and Duff was the last one to leave back in 98-99. They are friends, so this isn't as surprising as some are making it out to be.

On another note, a few years ago, Gilby was being interviewed on a local rock radio station, and the DJ started talking a bit of shit on Axl, and Gilby flat out said the stuff in the press is bullshit, and he is the most talented singer he has ever worked with and a great friend. He insinuated that he still communicates with Axl and they are on good terms.