The Gear Thread

23 hours ago, soon said:

Has anyone had the chance to try out a Boss Waza Air? Or just have any thoughts on it? Its a wireless virtual rig contained in the headphones and app. Oh, and its binaural which means that you can design a virtual space - you can have your amp 'behind you' and if you turn to look at it, the sound changes like it would irl.

I saw it on Anderton's channel. And I love Mary Spender, by the way. :)

It sounds nice. From what is worth, better than just plug your guitar in a modern amp and listen to it with regular headphones. 

Not sure about how you would want to use it. I like my Katana Mini not only because it sounds nice by itself, but because I can connect it to Garage Band and record the shit I play. BTW, I'm trying some new stuff here, using the Katana Mini as a pre-amp and trying different cabinets on Garage Band, and it sounds really nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I saw it on Anderton's channel. And I love Mary Spender, by the way. :)

It sounds nice. From what is worth, better than just plug your guitar in a modern amp and listen to it with regular headphones. 

Not sure about how you would want to use it. I like my Katana Mini not only because it sounds nice by itself, but because I can connect it to Garage Band and record the shit I play. BTW, I'm trying some new stuff here, using the Katana Mini as a pre-amp and trying different cabinets on Garage Band, and it sounds really nice.

Cool - yeah Mary spenders great!

Seems easy and more realistic to me, right? Only thing about the headphones themselves is that - like many newer headsets - they have a fixed band and ones ears only fit the headphones at one angle. I like traditional "cans" where you can put them over your ears at any angle you like. And usually the headband swivels too on those types. Minor issue, but I also get a line pressed into my hair by the fixed type ones, lol.

Those Katana Minis sound dope! How do you send it to Garage Band? Overall, Im hoping to go fully wireless for my practice rig. Thats how I came across the Waza. And I really dont like digital in many regards so this "amp in room" thing really makes me feel more comfortable (in theory, never tried one!). But yeah, interfacing with Garage Band is a priority for me too, so your set up could be great too!

I could use a typical transmitter and receiver to go into the Katana. But Im not yet clear on if theres guitar specific wireless transmitters to go from the amp to my typical/gaming/recording wireless headphones? (A wire from Katana to Garage Band would be more than okay though).

Neat approach to split the preamp and cab over two modules!

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Cool - yeah Mary spenders great!

Seems easy and more realistic to me, right? Only thing about the headphones themselves is that - like many newer headsets - they have a fixed band and ones ears only fit the headphones at one angle. I like traditional "cans" where you can put them over your ears at any angle you like. And usually the headband swivels too on those types. Minor issue, but I also get a line pressed into my hair by the fixed type ones, lol.

Those Katana Minis sound dope! How do you send it to Garage Band? Overall, Im hoping to go fully wireless for my practice rig. Thats how I came across the Waza. And I really dont like digital in many regards so this "amp in room" thing really makes me feel more comfortable (in theory, never tried one!). But yeah, interfacing with Garage Band is a priority for me too, so your set up could be great too!

I could use a typical transmitter and receiver to go into the Katana. But Im not yet clear on if theres guitar specific wireless transmitters to go from the amp to my typical/gaming/recording wireless headphones? (A wire from Katana to Garage Band would be more than okay though).

Neat approach to split the preamp and cab over two modules!

I use a very old iRig 1st gen as an interface. It's mediocre at best, but it's what I have here. It works just fine. 

How much is the Waza? Maybe the Katana Air could be a better fit for you?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I use a very old iRig 1st gen as an interface. It's mediocre at best, but it's what I have here. It works just fine. 

How much is the Waza? Maybe the Katana Air could be a better fit for you?

Very cool! Thanks man! :headbang::slash:

The Waza Air and the Katana Air are both just under $600 CND. The Waza is $10 more. Im kinda surprised they are so close in price, just because Waza having this brand new technology and binaural headphones. I guess you called it spot on that they are comparable rigs. Like Boss is saying; take your pick of our two wireless rigs.

I want to be able to use wireless headphones which I can do with the Katana Air, as long as Im going into garage band. Then I can use my devices bluetooth/wireless transmitter. This unit doesnt seem to have that ability on its own?

I wouldnt mind if the unit itself could pair with my wireless headphones. But its not a big deal. I would only use it at home anyways. Just hopefully there wouldnt be any lagging? The Waza would also let me import Grateful Dead tracks and pan the instruments so that Im surrounded by them, though :drool::dance:

The Katana Air is definitely something I'll be considering!!!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

It's technology like this that makes me feel like an old man. :lol:

I have zero interest, not because the technology isn't impressive but if I'm using headphones I just can't be bothered. As long as it sounds "good enough" for quiet practice then I'm satisfied. My Digitech RP360 is by no means the best in amp simulation technology, but when I can't plug into an amp I'm happy enough with it for headphone practice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, soon said:

Very cool! Thanks man! :headbang::slash:

The Waza Air and the Katana Air are both just under $600 CND. The Waza is $10 more. Im kinda surprised they are so close in price, just because Waza having this brand new technology and binaural headphones. I guess you called it spot on that they are comparable rigs. Like Boss is saying; take your pick of our two wireless rigs.

I want to be able to use wireless headphones which I can do with the Katana Air, as long as Im going into garage band. Then I can use my devices bluetooth/wireless transmitter. This unit doesnt seem to have that ability on its own?

I wouldnt mind if the unit itself could pair with my wireless headphones. But its not a big deal. I would only use it at home anyways. Just hopefully there wouldnt be any lagging? The Waza would also let me import Grateful Dead tracks and pan the instruments so that Im surrounded by them, though :drool::dance:

The Katana Air is definitely something I'll be considering!!!

Well, it depends on the interface you use. I can tell from my setup: when I use my Katana Mini plugged on my Mac through the iRig, I can listen with no significant latency through the speakers. Once I try to use my Sony MDR-XB950N1 bluetooth headphones, it lags quite a bit to be unable to use it. 

So if your main goal is to use it quietly with headphones all the time, go with the Waza. Keep in mind that you'll need to use it with your smartphone, and we don't know for how long this app will be around. The Air just seemed like a fully fleshed amp solution that don't rely too much on apps to work. It's really up to you. 

26 minutes ago, James Bond said:

It's technology like this that makes me feel like an old man. :lol:

I have zero interest, not because the technology isn't impressive but if I'm using headphones I just can't be bothered. As long as it sounds "good enough" for quiet practice then I'm satisfied. My Digitech RP360 is by no means the best in amp simulation technology, but when I can't plug into an amp I'm happy enough with it for headphone practice.

I like to embrace technology and I'm an old man hahaha. From what I could feel by switching regular headphones for a wireless one, it's just a matter of make it way more easy and comfortable to use the stuff you already have. :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Helix is better then Fractal.

Should I get a Gretsch Falcon, Gibson Explorer or Firebird?

I really am excited to see the 4tus Falcon

I know it's difficult these days to go to your local store and try out those models, but I highly recommend you do that. It's all a matter of preference, there's no right or wrong. Even if you're familiar with all those three guitars, you should "feel" what it is right for you by playing it a bit. 

My personal opinion/taste is that the Firebird is more of what I look for. 

--

I don't know if I should post it here, but I presume the trolls don't really look for stuff in this section. I tried the Garage Band cabinet simulation (Marshall 4x12) along with my regular setup. I would love to have some opinions about the guitar tone. I'm feeling the Studio is darker than my old Epi, so take it into consideration:

• GNFNR 1

On June 27, 2020 at 10:32 AM, Voodoochild said:

Well, it depends on the interface you use. I can tell from my setup: when I use my Katana Mini plugged on my Mac through the iRig, I can listen with no significant latency through the speakers. Once I try to use my Sony MDR-XB950N1 bluetooth headphones, it lags quite a bit to be unable to use it. 

So if your main goal is to use it quietly with headphones all the time, go with the Waza. Keep in mind that you'll need to use it with your smartphone, and we don't know for how long this app will be around. The Air just seemed like a fully fleshed amp solution that don't rely too much on apps to work. It's really up to you. 

Thanks for the heads up about possible lagging if my chain gets long enough.

Really good point about the app and the possibility that the product could become unsupported one day! I hadnt thought of that. I dont know if this is a silly question, but once I download an app onto my device, isnt it there for good even if it is removed form the app store? Or would the software all still be housed on the Boss servers? So if they took it down, the tone banks would disappear from the app in my device?

On June 27, 2020 at 10:56 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

I have old and new; I use my stomp for recording and most jamming, but every so often I'll plug in my 1 watt DSL just to get a nice dose of Marshall deafness! 

Nice! Ive been thinking about getting a low watt tube amp, myself. I watched a vid of the DSL and as the reviewer concluded, "It chugs" :headbang: Though, so far Im leaning towards a combo.

Im curious how you find yourself using it - what cab do you plug it into? Do you use it in recording/produciton in any capacity? 

17 minutes ago, soon said:

I dont know if this is a silly question, but once I download an app onto my device, isnt it there for good even if it is removed form the app store? Or would the software all still be housed on the Boss servers? So if they took it down, the tone banks would disappear from the app in my device?

It's forever yours. But if you buy a new smartphone and the app isn't on the app store for you to download it, you won't get it again.

I guess if you use an iPhone and run a backup on your Mac before switching to a new device, it may work. I'm not sure if it works if you chose the iCloud for the backup, tho.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

Nice! Ive been thinking about getting a low watt tube amp, myself. I watched a vid of the DSL and as the reviewer concluded, "It chugs" :headbang: Though, so far Im leaning towards a combo.

Im curious how you find yourself using it - what cab do you plug it into? Do you use it in recording/produciton in any capacity? 

I use mine with an Orange 1X12 that is loaded with a V30. I had a DSL40C that I used to run through the same cab and the 1 watt DSL has a much more bassier tone. The 40C was a bright amp, but I liked that sound in a mix. I run the new one with hardly any bass, it still sounds great, but for recording I prefer the stomp; no fucking around with mics, getting a good time one day and then a shit one with the same gear set up the same way. I will record it one day out of interest, but I don't know when. 

Here are my base Stomp tones (apart from the synth, that was just for fun!):

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I use mine with an Orange 1X12 that is loaded with a V30. I had a DSL40C that I used to run through the same cab and the 1 watt DSL has a much more bassier tone. The 40C was a bright amp, but I liked that sound in a mix. I run the new one with hardly any bass, it still sounds great, but for recording I prefer the stomp; no fucking around with mics, getting a good time one day and then a shit one with the same gear set up the same way. I will record it one day out of interest, but I don't know when. 

That was a great demo. It reminded me of the D-Tune track at the ending. 

Please, help out an old and not so smart friend: what is this DSL thing you guys are talking about?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

That was a great demo. It reminded me of the D-Tune track at the ending. 

Please, help out an old and not so smart friend: what is this DSL thing you guys are talking about?

It is a Marshall amp, the Dual Super Lead. Originally the JCM2000 Dual or Triple Super Lead (I owned the 100 watt Dual Super Lead back in my band days), they re-released the amps as the DSL range, dropping the JCM 2000 tag and then did a MK2 version a couple of years back. Once I got my HX Stomp, I sold my MK1 DSL40C and bought a DSL1HR for my analog needs.

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

It is a Marshall amp, the Dual Super Lead. Originally the JCM2000 Dual or Triple Super Lead (I owned the 100 watt Dual Super Lead back in my band days), they re-released the amps as the DSL range, dropping the JCM 2000 tag and then did a MK2 version a couple of years back. Once I got my HX Stomp, I sold my MK1 DSL40C and bought a DSL1HR for my analog needs.

Oh thanks. Back in the day we just called JCM 2000 indeed (I had to stop playing for almost 10 years, so I'm kinda out of the loop).

9 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Oh thanks. Back in the day we just called JCM 2000 indeed (I had to stop playing for almost 10 years, so I'm kinda out of the loop).

Yeah me too, I loved that thing; had it paired up a fucked up old B 4x12 that had greenbacks in it. Sounded great but it was not an amp that could be played at home!

• Like 1

Add me to the "used to have a JCM 2000" club. Also add me to the "complete overkill for at home" club. :lol:

Although to its credit it performed well at lower volumes. I find that about Marshall's in general. You can typically still get great tone at controlled volumes, unlike say Vox where you have to crank it to really make it shine.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

Add me to the "used to have a JCM 2000" club. Also add me to the "complete overkill for at home" club. :lol:

Although to its credit it performed well at lower volumes. I find that about Marshall's in general. You can typically still get great tone at controlled volumes, unlike say Vox where you have to crank it to really make it shine.

The 40C was much more capable at getting "bedroom" volumes, but still very loud on 2 1/2 - 3. The 1 watt is even more usable, it has a 0.1 watt setting which I haven't used; if it is like the 40C half power setting it will suck the goodness right out of the tone. 

2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

The 40C was much more capable at getting "bedroom" volumes, but still very loud on 2 1/2 - 3. The 1 watt is even more usable, it has a 0.1 watt setting which I haven't used; if it is like the 40C half power setting it will suck the goodness right out of the tone. 

Do you plan to gig once this whole mess is over? 

I'm not sure what I would do if I still had a band. Probably would pick something like the Helix and would save the trouble of getting heavy equipment on the road.

On June 28, 2020 at 2:09 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Your stomp demo rips, man! I will be looking into the Stomp more, thanks! If I had that mic placing robot that Elvis uses with Slash Id have more fun placing mics, but plug and play is way better for sure :headbang:

Both those Marshalls sound like they have some great attributes. And a 1x12 cab sound perfect. I too am in the "way too much amp for at home club" with my half-stack having only served as a desk for my turntable for some time now, lol. I just have the 4x12 currently to plug something through (Marshall JCM 800 lead series, greenback 25s). Even just at home to run scales, I dont know if a low watt amp would move enough air to be that much fun, through a 4x12?

36 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Do you plan to gig once this whole mess is over? 

I'm not sure what I would do if I still had a band. Probably would pick something like the Helix and would save the trouble of getting heavy equipment on the road.

I have actually been speaking to my old guitarist and bass player about gigging again; would be good to play a few gigs a year with none of the pressure involved of trying to get to the next level. I would have to see when I got into a rehearsal room I think, if I could borrow a power amp for the Stomp and run it into a cab, that would be the cheapest and lightest option, always fancied a JVM410 though, so you never know!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Your stomp demo rips, man! I will be looking into the Stomp more, thanks! If I had that mic placing robot that Elvis uses with Slash Id have more fun placing mics, but plug and play is way better for sure :headbang:

Both those Marshalls sound like they have some great attributes. And a 1x12 cab sound perfect. I too am in the "way too much amp for at home club" with my half-stack having only served as a desk for my turntable for some time now, lol. I just have the 4x12 currently to plug something through (Marshall JCM 800 lead series, greenback 25s). Even just at home to run scales, I dont know if a low watt amp would move enough air to be that much fun, through a 4x12?

Thanks man, the Stomp is a killer piece of gear, no way you can use your rig at home! I think a 1 watt would manage a 4x12, I watched a video of a Blackstar 1 watt head through a 4x12 and it sounded good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Thanks man, the Stomp is a killer piece of gear, no way you can use your rig at home! I think a 1 watt would manage a 4x12, I watched a video of a Blackstar 1 watt head through a 4x12 and it sounded good.

Oh, good to know I could use my cab. Since we are talking Marshall Amps I should clarify that my cab is that Marshall (it’s white vinyl like Rhoads), and the head is a Hiwatt Custom 100.

The Hiwatt doesn’t break or saturate even with all dials to 11. And as such, it’s clean tone - favoured by Townsend - is like a punch in the face. So I can’t even jam out on its clean tone inside!! Haha! Also, I prefer a dirty tone to run scales.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, good to know I could use my cab. Since we are talking Marshall Amps I should clarify that my cab is that Marshall (it’s white vinyl like Rhoads), and the head is a Hiwatt Custom 100.

The Hiwatt doesn’t break or saturate even with all dials to 11. And as such, it’s clean tone - favoured by Townsend - is like a punch in the face. So I can’t even jam out on its clean tone inside!! Haha! Also, I prefer a dirty tone to run scales.

A guy I know has a Hiwatt, they are meant to be 100watts, but he says his puts out over 400! Insanely loud!! The 1 Watt should tick your boxes I think; plenty of saturation on ultra gain channel, classic gain breaks up and goes up to a pretty heavy crunch. I'll try and do a clip later and post here.

• Like 1