Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've downsized a lot in the couple of years since I last made an updated post here.

Recently, I ditched my Vox in favour of a lunchbox head. I wanted something that was one part bedroom amp but still gigworthy, and the Vox just didn't sound good at all at low volumes and wasn't as portable as I would like.

Tried out a bunch of lunchboxes and fell in love with the Hughes & Kettner series. Seemed to be everything I wanted in a small tube amp with the power soak being an ideal feature. That love quickly ended when I had three go back within a month. I shit you not - three lemons, and all for different reasons. It's a shame because they do sound amazing when they work, but the reliability (or lack thereof) was nonsense.

So I went back to my old faithful - the Marshall Mini Jubilee. I won't make the mistake of leaving Marshall ever again. :lol:

I also got rid of most of my effects pedals. 95% of the time I'm just guitar into amp so having so many pedals was redundant. Picked up a Digitech RP360 which nicely replaces any sort of modulation effects I want when needed, and the delay settings are outstanding for the price. Easily rivals my old TC Flashback X4. I disabled all the amp simulations and just use it as a multi stomp. For the price you can't go wrong.

The only other pedals I held onto were my Wah and my Whammy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got this in the mail today, Gibson Les Paul 2017 Tribute T Goldtop. Sounds fucking great to put it mildly

Wow Fortus has gone from an Izzy lookalike to morphing into Malcom Young. 

I will try and record a quick sound demo next week! I am going camping this weekend so I only got about an hour total of play time on it so far. It almost feels too nice for me and it has some modern

Posted Images

Decided on the Les Paul Classic

Cant decide between the Ebony or Cherry Sunburst

15 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Just got this in...

Hofner 500/1 1963 re-issue. Made in Germany in 2009.

EVOI0RRUEAEYG_3?format=jpg&name=large

How is it?

On 3/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, Voodoochild said:

I really wish I could have some of the gear you guys have. 

All I have is a 90s Korean Epiphone Les Paul Standard with original pickups. After almost 10 years of not really playing guitar at all (save for some stuff here and there), I bought last year a Boss Katana Mini just to have something easy to plug and play. And that's all I'm using now. 

I also have a regular Cry Baby GCB-95. I still have a Marshall Jackhammer OD/Distortion and a Danelectro T-Bone distortion, but I may sell it, it's useless now to me. And I use sometimes an old Beringher V-Amp for some effects (mostly because of the whammy).

Epiphanies Les Pauls are just as good If not better as the real thing. I had one for awhile.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a custom shop Gibson and yet I would still likely fail a blindfold test. Epiphone makes good shit. My Epiphone Explorer plays every bit as good as my Gibson and arguably sounds better too (both have upgraded pick-ups).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

How is it?

Love it! It definitely has a very “vintage” sound being a hollow body but I knew that going in to it. It weighs less than 5 pounds because of that too which makes it a very  comfortable bass to play as well.

2 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I own a custom shop Gibson and yet I would still likely fail a blindfold test. Epiphone makes good shit. My Epiphone Explorer plays every bit as good as my Gibson and arguably sounds better too (both have upgraded pick-ups).

I love the epiphone I have that’s pictured with the hofner above. It’s chinese made but has American electronics. It’s plays and sounds beautiful.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Epiphanies Les Pauls are just as good If not better as the real thing. I had one for awhile.

I like mine, but I really wish I could have better pickups. 

Also, for some reason, my Epiphone LP has a bolt-on neck. It's really no big deal, the guitar can sustain quite a lot, but you know, it's weird.

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I own a custom shop Gibson and yet I would still likely fail a blindfold test. Epiphone makes good shit. My Epiphone Explorer plays every bit as good as my Gibson and arguably sounds better too (both have upgraded pick-ups).

Well, if you follow the Anderton's YouTube channel, they did some blindfold tests and they always get it right lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I like mine, but I really wish I could have better pickups. 

Also, for some reason, my Epiphone LP has a bolt-on neck. It's really no big deal, the guitar can sustain quite a lot, but you know, it's weird.

Well, if you follow the Anderton's YouTube channel, they did some blindfold tests and they always get it right lol

Yours is a Standard but still has a bolt-on neck? That's interesting. I thought they only did that on the Specials. Not a huge deal. If you wanted to do a pick-up swap as an upgrade, I'd recommend checking the used market. You can find great pick-ups for cheap. Some of the "dime a dozen" Gibson pick-ups like the 498T can be had for fairly cheap and would likely be a marked upgrade over the stock Epiphone pick-ups.

Even Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio resale can be cheap for some of the more mass produced pick-ups (ie. JB and Super Distortion).

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, James Bond said:

Yours is a Standard but still has a bolt-on neck? That's interesting. I thought they only did that on the Specials. Not a huge deal. If you wanted to do a pick-up swap as an upgrade, I'd recommend checking the used market. You can find great pick-ups for cheap. Some of the "dime a dozen" Gibson pick-ups like the 498T can be had for fairly cheap and would likely be a marked upgrade over the stock Epiphone pick-ups.

Even Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio resale can be cheap for some of the more mass produced pick-ups (ie. JB and Super Distortion).

Yeah, it's odd. Seems like the Epiphones from mid-90s in Korea had bolt-on neck for reliability? The serial number is crusted on a plate in the neck joint. I think that's cool. 

I'm kinda worried about spending money on pickups right now because the whole situation going on, but let's see if later in this year I get one. I was looking for maybe a brand new Seymour Duncan, but at some of the price point, it starts to look like it could be easier to get another Epiphone - one of the new 2020 models - with ProBuckers instead. 

I think my current guitar looks nice, I dont dislike the old style Epiphone headstock. But I think I could do better. Notice how my neck pickup is upside down (it's been like that for years and I was too lazy to change it):

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I order the Les Paul Classic Cherry Sunburst from Zzounds on installments.

Cant wait. What’s funny is that people complain about headstocks easily breaking on expensive Gibson’s. The only time I ever broke a headstock was on my Epi

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah, it's odd. Seems like the Epiphones from mid-90s in Korea had bolt-on neck for reliability? The serial number is crusted on a plate in the neck joint. I think that's cool. 

I'm kinda worried about spending money on pickups right now because the whole situation going on, but let's see if later in this year I get one. I was looking for maybe a brand new Seymour Duncan, but at some of the price point, it starts to look like it could be easier to get another Epiphone - one of the new 2020 models - with ProBuckers instead. 

I think my current guitar looks nice, I dont dislike the old style Epiphone headstock. But I think I could do better. Notice how my neck pickup is upside down (it's been like that for years and I was too lazy to change it):

 

Oh yeah come to think of it I have seen them with the serial number neck plates. A good friend of mine had a 2000 that was like that.

I'm a huge fan of Seymour Duncan's. I have the Pearly Gates set in my SG and the Slash set in my Explorer. There's plenty of great options out there though. I haven't tried the 2020 Epiphone line yet but I hear great things about their new ProBucker pick-up.

Killer playing by the way! I've followed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Oh yeah come to think of it I have seen them with the serial number neck plates. A good friend of mine had a 2000 that was like that.

I'm a huge fan of Seymour Duncan's. I have the Pearly Gates set in my SG and the Slash set in my Explorer. There's plenty of great options out there though. I haven't tried the 2020 Epiphone line yet but I hear great things about their new ProBucker pick-up.

Killer playing by the way! I've followed.

Thanks man. I worked hard for that Buckethead part, I'm no shredder lol. Followed you back. :)

So yeah, I'm still to see if it's worth to just replace the pickups. Did you put those new SD yourself or do you have someone else to do it?

I'm still on the fence about what to do next because of this tiny thing happening now with the global economy. Before that, I was thinking on either grab an used Gibson LP studio or a new Epiphone. But there was some fingerboard issues, some buzz going with some frets and a lot of QC oversights in this 2020 Epiphone lineup. So everything below $ 1k is really looking not great.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Thanks man. I worked hard for that Buckethead part, I'm no shredder lol. Followed you back. :)

So yeah, I'm still to see if it's worth to just replace the pickups. Did you put those new SD yourself or do you have someone else to do it?

I'm still on the fence about what to do next because of this tiny thing happening now with the global economy. Before that, I was thinking on either grab an used Gibson LP studio or a new Epiphone. But there was some fingerboard issues, some buzz going with some frets and a lot of QC oversights in this 2020 Epiphone lineup. So everything below $ 1k is really looking not great.  

It sounds great!

If you really love the way your current one plays then in my opinion it's worth just swapping the pick-ups. I had my local tech install the pick-ups but it's easy to do if you have a soldering iron.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, James Bond said:

It sounds great!

If you really love the way your current one plays then in my opinion it's worth just swapping the pick-ups. I had my local tech install the pick-ups but it's easy to do if you have a soldering iron.

I do have it but I don't know how to use it haha.  

But thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I'll may go after some new pickups then.

Edit: and your guitar stuff are really cool too. Loved your Explorer. 

Edited by Voodoochild
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I do have it but I don't know how to use it haha.  

But thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I'll may go after some new pickups then.

Edit: and your guitar stuff are really cool too. Loved your Explorer. 

I usually like trusting stuff like that to my local tech anyways.

No problem! A friend of mine who passed away a few years ago owned a recording studio so I had nearly unlimited access to all kinds of guitars, pick-ups, and so forth. It was a unique opportunity to actually properly A/B things and do pick-up swaps.

And thanks! I wanted to avoid a signature model but the Lzzy Hale was exactly what I was looking for - the answer to my SG in Explorer form. It truly does sound better but I tell myself otherwise. It makes me feel better about my purchases. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I usually like trusting stuff like that to my local tech anyways.

No problem! A friend of mine who passed away a few years ago owned a recording studio so I had nearly unlimited access to all kinds of guitars, pick-ups, and so forth. It was a unique opportunity to actually properly A/B things and do pick-up swaps.

And thanks! I wanted to avoid a signature model but the Lzzy Hale was exactly what I was looking for - the answer to my SG in Explorer form. It truly does sound better but I tell myself otherwise. It makes me feel better about my purchases. 😂

Sorry to hear about your friend. Good thing is that you can properly try those things. There are some neck profiles that you really need to test them to actually make a judgment. 

I hate going to a guitar store and being chased by the salesman pretending to know more than he actually knows. At least here where I live, every music store is like that. 

Your Explorer sounds and looks very good to me. And it seems more comfortable to play than something like a Flying V too. But keep in mind I'm not a SG guy lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Sorry to hear about your friend. Good thing is that you can properly try those things. There are some neck profiles that you really need to test them to actually make a judgment. 

I hate going to a guitar store and being chased by the salesman pretending to know more than he actually knows. At least here where I live, every music store is like that. 

Your Explorer sounds and looks very good to me. And it seems more comfortable to play than something like a Flying V too. But keep in mind I'm not a SG guy lol

My first ever "good" electric guitar was an Epiphone G-400 so I've always felt most at home on an SG. I dig the midrange bite they get, but it's not for everyone. I had a Gibson SG Special and a '61 Reissue before those inevitably got sold/traded towards the Custom. Definitely a dream come true, but I miss the Special more than the '61. Aside from the sentimentality of it being my first Gibson (from back when you could get the Specials brand new for like $700), it was one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned.

The Explorer is indeed very comfortable. In terms of feel both sitting and standing I find it to be somewhere between an SG and a Les Paul. Just more pointy. 😂

I know what you mean about music stores. I find the big box ones to be the most like that. Luckily there's a few old school ones close to me including the one I frequent the most.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, James Bond said:

My first ever "good" electric guitar was an Epiphone G-400 so I've always felt most at home on an SG. I dig the midrange bite they get, but it's not for everyone. I had a Gibson SG Special and a '61 Reissue before those inevitably got sold/traded towards the Custom. Definitely a dream come true, but I miss the Special more than the '61. Aside from the sentimentality of it being my first Gibson (from back when you could get the Specials brand new for like $700), it was one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned.

The Explorer is indeed very comfortable. In terms of feel both sitting and standing I find it to be somewhere between an SG and a Les Paul. Just more pointy. 😂

I know what you mean about music stores. I find the big box ones to be the most like that. Luckily there's a few old school ones close to me including the one I frequent the most.

Before this Epiphone, I had two guitars: an Yamaha superstrat and a really shitty LP clone from a brand called Aria Pro. I would love to have a stratocaster now (as you could imagine, I'm a big Hendrix fan), but I don't really miss those two. I've tried a SG before, but it's really not my thing. Something about this midrange bite. That could explain also why I'm not so much into AC/DC guitar-wise. 

But as far as playability, my Epiphone is hands down the best one I've played. I'll probably keep it with me if I want to buy a new one. I would like to have a 2nd guitar also because it would be nice to different tunings ready to go. Most of the time I have my guitar set half-step down and just use a capo if I need a standard tuning.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got bored today and turned an old 14" floor tom into a snare drum. Most of my snares are 14" x 5.5", but this one is 14" x 13" and it sounds huuuuuuuuge, especially with my 26" bass drum. Time to break out my big ride cymbal and jam some slow bluesy stuff with some friends. :devilshades:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

That's some serious self control.

Its cause of the Helix. Havent had the need for new pedals or amps since I got it. When we move into a house instead if an apartment down the line, I may want a new amp or 2 for fun.

If the pandemic improves in the summer and my job survives, maybe I'll look at a new toy (although I dont need anything).

 

The HM Strat reissues are cool...

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Its cause of the Helix. Havent had the need for new pedals or amps since I got it. When we move into a house instead if an apartment down the line, I may want a new amp or 2 for fun.

If the pandemic improves in the summer and my job survives, maybe I'll look at a new toy (although I dont need anything).

 

The HM Strat reissues are cool...

I haven't had anything after getting the stomp last year. Looking at a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd Rose in Sandblasted yellow for my birthday though:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-ltd-cu24-floyd-swamp-ash-top-in-sand-blasted-yellow-1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I haven't had anything after getting the stomp last year. Looking at a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd Rose in Sandblasted yellow for my birthday though:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-ltd-cu24-floyd-swamp-ash-top-in-sand-blasted-yellow-1

That looks awesome. PRS SEs are awesome

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

That looks awesome. PRS SEs are awesome

It does! Reminds me of a wasp. I was not sure about going Floyd Rose or not; I love the finishes on the standard trem PRS SE Custom 24s, but when I saw that I just thought fuck yeah!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...