MYGNRFORUM *not* closing

eRomano

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the admin had to double check his post through a legal advisor just to be sure there would be no further lawsuits filed against him.

What a very sad old man Bill Bailey has become.

It's a shame I respect his talent, because I have lost every single ounce of respect for the man himself.

It's an even greater shame the files that Mister Saint Laurent (supposedly) had weren't leaked.

Honestly lets keep things in perspective.

Yes it sucks that the forum is shutting down, but it is NOT the bands fault. The ONLY reason this place is closing is because Eric can't afford to keep it open.

It's a totally valid and understandable reason, there is nothing wrong with deciding you don't want to pay out your own money to give other people a place to chat (I've been in that position myself with other forums/communities). What is not reasonable is expecting the band to pay for it, especially after all the trouble they've had with leaks and negative rumors spread through this forum. It's a fan forum for a reason, they're under no obligation to keep this, or any other site open. Yes other bands choose to set up and maintain their own forums, others choose to fund a fan site, but there is no rule that all bands have to do that and it's rediculous to suggest otherwise.

If anything it would be better to keep the attention on the real issue where it belongs - mourning the end of the site and figuring out where everyone is going to go and how they're going to keep in touch, as well as thanking Eric and everyone else for the time and effort they've put in over the years. Instead it's turned into yet another thread of bitching about Axl not doing things he should never have been expected to do in the first place. Great way to spend your last days on the forum.

Wow, this comes as a surprise. And a really shitty one. I've been coming here for so many years, since '05 or '06 (under another name). This forum is actually what got me into the new GN'R, because this was the first place I signed up and got to learn a whole lot about the new band and how they were finally coming out again (Hammersmith). If it wasn't for this forum I probably never would've gotten so much in to GN'R and gone to a concert with them last year. This really sucks, but I guess there's nothing to do about it. What a shame; it was definitely the best GN'R forum, even though it was starting to go downhill (along with GN'R I guess). Thanks toEric and all the other "internet-friends" I've made through this place.

Guest siliconmessiah

Yes it sucks that the forum is shutting down, but it is NOT the bands fault. The ONLY reason this place is closing is because Eric can't afford to keep it open.

Are you Axl Rose trying to do damage control?

The fact that Eric cannot afford to keep this forum open, is NOT THE ONLY REASON for it going down.

He has been getting legal-threats from the band too, and the lack of news is another reason for taking it down.

Quote from Eric:

"In recent years, some aspects have grown to be whole lot less fun: leaks, lack of communication from management, even lawyer letters from the band..."

Edited by siliconmessiah

Sucks. I've been on here every day since I joined. As much bitching goes on in this forum, it is way worse on others. Thanks to everyone for posting and the admins for keeping it going as long as it did.

See you on the other side

"Aside from expressing they want mygnrforum.com closed in the past, even after being offered, GNR has not shown any concrete interest in supporting and/or taking over the mygnrforum.com."

I didn't take this in properly when I first read this but it's worse than some people here think. This is shocking what Eric is now revealing about Axl's true thoughts on mygnr. Bottom line he doesn't want it. Does this not annoy you fans here? People here who spent their valuable time for years taking an interest posting on a forum supporting a band who doesn't want the support. It's all been a complete waste. I will never post on another GNR forum again. It's a waste of time, the band just won't release new music, it's all getting boring and mist importantlty the band has just said they don't want it. Eric has just said that Axl doesn't support the forum and has been wanting it closed down. I'd say do what Axl wants and stop posting and why bother to move to another site. Axl clearly doesn't want that judging from what Axl has told Eric? Am I reading this right?

Edited by Janis

Are you Axl Rose trying to do damage control?

The fact that Eric cannot afford to keep this forum open, is NOT THE ONLY REASON for it going down.

He has been getting legal-threats from the band too, and the lack of news is another reason for taking it down.

Quote from Eric:

"In recent years, some aspects have grown to be whole lot less fun: leaks, lack of communication from management, even lawyer letters from the band..."

He got cease and desist letters years ago for allowed illigally leaked material to be posted on the forum.

So did every other site that hosted leaked songs. It was a standard letter with a standard (and legal) threat to back-up the request that the songs be taken down. It didn't even have to be a perfect ban, stuff occasionally got through on the Velvet Revolver forum (where I'm a moderator) but Axl and his legal team accepted that we were doing our best and left us to it.

Re-read the original post. That section in context is not a reason the forum is being shut down. Eric didn't say he'd finally lost a legal battle and a court had ordered him to shut the site down. Only that he couldn't afford to keep it running. The rest is, at most, reasons he might not feel it's worth the cost and effort.

Guest siliconmessiah

I don't know. I'm just so pissed off with Axl right now. The old question comes to mind of "Do you want Axl to retire?"

If he is responsible for this I hope he crashes and burns as he should have some 10+ years ago because he just keeps burning his fans no matter how much they support him through all the bullshit and incoherent behaviour of his.

"Aside from expressing they want mygnrforum.com closed in the past, even after being offered, GNR has not shown any concrete interest in supporting and/or taking over the mygnrforum.com."

I didn't take this in properly when I first read this but it's worse than some people here think. This is shocking what Eric is now revealing about Axl's true thoughts on mygnr. Bottom line he doesn't want it. Does this not annoy you fans here? People here who spent their valuable time for years taking an interest posting on a forum supporting a band who doesn't want the support. It's all been a complete waste. Eric has just said that Axl doesn't support the forum and has been wanting it closed down. I'd say do what Axl wants and stop posting and why bother to move to another site. Axl clearly doesn't want that judging from what Axl has told Erict? Am I reading this right?

There is a lot of disappointment right now, and I also feel sad about this forum going down.

And as I have stated in my other thread, I blame Axl Rose for it. For keeping silent and that he not continued to build on his vision while he got the chances...

Edited by siliconmessiah

If there's Axl behind this, it's his biggest mistake ever. I've supported him in everything he did but now he lost all my respect.

MYGNR reunion is now the only reunion I want.

Like Axl would give a fuck about an internet fanbase.

He did that thang in 2008 and he thought "Well, i'm done here... Maybe i'll check it out in 14 years from now to see what people think of the new album".

Thanks to everyone involved in running this site. Eric, you did a great job. When I got interested in Guns again there were really only two boards that stood out - for different reasons.

HTGTH was just ... sickening. Gag-inducing in the sycophancy posted.

Then there was MYGNR ... a literal breath of fresh air. So obvious that those who posted were in the majority fans of a band and a man that should have kissed their feet for their devotion through the years when GNR was irrevelant.

Fans who bought numerous copies of CD, boosting sales numbers - even if that didn't translate to the actual number of people who bought the album.

Fans who simply wanted THEIR band to BE a band.

Fans who wanted really easy things - a group photo! A video! A tweet!

As for me?

I'll mark this site off with deep regret and after a few days I'll stop thinking about Guns N Roses again. They'll go back into the "Whatever happened to...?" category they were in before I discovered this board.

MYGNR kept my interest going. It made me take another listen to certain songs, and gave me a fresh perspective on GNR news and happenings.

Without MYGNR, it's just not worth the effort. I could Google "Guns N Roses" a few times a year and get the same "late on stage", "lawsuit", "Axl hates Slash" news that makes up the majority of GNR news.

It was the voices - here - of the fans - that made GNR worth paying attention to.

Thanks to all of you for that.

I don't know. I'm just so pissed off with Axl right now. The old question comes to mind of "Do you want Axl to retire?"

If he is responsible for this I hope he crashes and burns as he should have some 10+ years ago because he just keeps burning his fans no matter how much they support him through all the bullshit and incoherent behaviour of his.

I didn't take this in properly when I first read this but it's worse than some people here think. This is shocking what Eric is now revealing about Axl's true thoughts on mygnr. Bottom line he doesn't want it. Does this not annoy you fans here? People here who spent their valuable time for years taking an interest posting on a forum supporting a band who doesn't want the support. It's all been a complete waste. Eric has just said that Axl doesn't support the forum and has been wanting it closed down. I'd say do what Axl wants and stop posting and why bother to move to another site. Axl clearly doesn't want that judging from what Axl has told Erict? Am I reading this right?

There is a lot of disappointment right now, and I also feel sad about this forum going down.

And as I have stated in my other thread, I blame Axl Rose for it. For keeping silent and that he not continued to build on his vision while he got the chances...

Exactly there's no excuse why CD II and III are not out. He had 14 years to plan this. They've done the touring now get new music out but Axl just refuses to release music and it's getting weirder by the day. He is running this band into the ground and it's sad coz they had a great tour and they get on well. But there's no new music all the time so there's no real progression. Hell even Kate Bush is coming back this year! After this forum closes that is it for me. There's no new music to talk about and it will get boring very quickly doncha think?!

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I am so sad to see this place close. I have spent more time here since 2005 than I'd care to admit. I have so many great memories and met some really lovely people who I hope to stay friends with for life. Although its ending, I want to thank everyone who kept this place running.

Thanks for the great memories everyone.

This is probably my last post :cry:

I truly believe this is a sad day in the GN’R history.

Mygnr was the first fan website that I’ve visited years ago. Then I’ve discovered the forum.

First time I’ve met Eric was in NY for a GN’R show. I had a blast with him and he became a friend. Eric is truly one of the nicest people I have met.

This website was the only one that I’ve trust for GN’R news. I have met several members and I had a blast with all of them.

I was lucky enough to follow the band during a few shows in the Canadian tour. Partying with Axl and the band until the sun comes up is truly one of the best moments in my life. I want to thanks Eric for that opportunity. For the record, I didn’t have to do anything to be able to be there with the band!

Eric has lost a lot of money with the forum. We had a few talk about this problem and he was thinking about closing the forum for a few months now. I kept hoping that he would change his mind.

When I was contacted by Eric while he was in Cuba about the lawyer letter, I didn’t know what to think. It would have been so easy for GN’R clan to explain that they wanted it down. I never understood why they decided to act that way. Just imagine, you spend money and time to help a band and while you’re on a beach, they send you a C&D letter!

I really think that GN’R should have help Eric to keep that site alive. This place is part of the reason why GN’R still has a fan base.

I want to thank all members for all these years. It was great to share this passion for GN’R with all of you.

Thank you to all the mod team, Zint, HV, UK and everyone else who kept this place alive.

If you want to keep in touch, PM me your email before midnight.

Aurevoir les amis!

Guest loverefrained

wow 10 years... Thanks for making this a memorable journey. Too bad you have to close it down:( Cheers all...