Iron Maiden

ssiscool

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

kinda ironic that people myself included dig Iron Maiden, despite the constant line-up changes and we knock nuGuns for the same thing!

To be fair the current line up has remained in place since 1999 and four studio albums, so not too shabby :P

(Albet in the early days, yeah I agree with you)

Deffinatly more stable than Guns. And they can sell out stadiums too

kinda ironic that people myself included dig Iron Maiden, despite the constant line-up changes and we knock nuGuns for the same thing!

To be fair the current line up has remained in place since 1999 and four studio albums, so not too shabby :P

I reckon though if the original or even the UYI line-up it would be the biggest come back ever!

I reckon though if the original or even the UYI line-up it would be the biggest come back ever!

Maiden were able to put aside their differences, and there was a lot said between Bruce/Maiden after he had quit. But somehow they worked it out, and it's lasted this long. It's pretty much against the odds.

Maiden were able to put aside their differences, and there was a lot said between Bruce/Maiden after he had quit. But somehow they worked it out, and it's lasted this long. It's pretty much against the odds.

Indeed. Ironically this is the most stable line-up they've ever had

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are the only pre-2000 albums that stand up to their post 2000 albums. I say that although I can find more songs that I really like on Powerslave or Fear of the Dark than on any of the post-reunion ones (on the latter I have only 2 or 3 on each that particularly stand out for me). Overall, however, the later work is much better. I mean when listening to a whole album, start to end.

My favorite Maiden songs are Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Wasted Years, Journeyman, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and When the Wild Wind Blows. Three of those five are post-2000, so there's that as well.

I'll never get the love for the first two though. There's a few decent moments on the first I guess, but the second one is completely and utterly bland. :shrugs: And DiAnno's voice is terrible, he sounds like Maggie Gylenhaal in The Dark Knight.

Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are the only pre-2000 albums that stand up to their post 2000 albums. I say that although I can find more songs that I really like on Powerslave or Fear of the Dark than on any of the post-reunion ones (on the latter I have only 2 or 3 on each that particularly stand out for me). Overall, however, the later work is much better. I mean when listening to a whole album, start to end.

My favorite Maiden songs are Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Wasted Years, Journeyman, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and When the Wild Wind Blows. Three of those five are post-2000, so there's that as well.

I'll never get the love for the first two though. There's a few decent moments on the first I guess, but the second one is completely and utterly bland. :shrugs: And DiAnno's voice is terrible, he sounds like Maggie Gylenhaal in The Dark Knight.

I don't know if I'd necessarily say those are the only pre-2000 albums that hold up to the recent stuff, but they certainly are my favorite 80's albums, and I don't think they get the love that the earlier 80's albums seem to get. As far as I'm concerned, SIT is most definitely their most underrated album. To be totally honest, I think NOTB is the weakest 80's album. There's some great songs, but the filler songs were the weakest IMO (And I'm not saying they suck; in fact Fear Of The Dark is the first Maiden album with a song I don't enjoy). If I were to rank all the albums, best to worst as I see them now, it'd look something like this:

1. Somewhere In Time

2. The Final Frontier

3. Brave New World

4. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

5. Iron Maiden

6. Dance Of Death

7. Powerslave

8. Piece Of Mind

9. A Matter Of Life And Death

10. Killers

11. Number Of The Beast

12. Fear Of The Dark

13. No Prayer For The Dying

14. The X Factor

15. Virtual XI

To me, the new stuff is the most mature the band has ever sounded, along with Somewhere In Time. The instrumental/solo sections in particular stand out on these 5 albums, and contain some of their most difficult stuff to date; Isle Of Avalon, Alexander The Great, The Longest Day, Starblind, Caught Somewhere In Time, Paschendale...the list goes on and on. Seventh Son is the strongest album lyrically as far as I'm concerned. Moonchild, Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son, and The Prophecy are all incredible in that department (I REALLY can't wait to see this stuff live in a few year's time!). If I had to pick my top 5 songs, I'd go with this, in this order:

1. When The Wild Wind Blows (I truly feel bad for anyone who hasn't gotten a chance to see this one live!)

2. Blood Brothers

3. Alexander The Great

4. Phantom Of The Opera

5. Moonchild/The Talisman (Tie)

I don't know if I'd necessarily say those are the only pre-2000 albums that hold up to the recent stuff, but they certainly are my favorite 80's albums, and I don't think they get the love that the earlier 80's albums seem to get. As far as I'm concerned, SIT is most definitely their most underrated album. To be totally honest, I think NOTB is the weakest 80's album. There's some great songs, but the filler songs were the weakest IMO (And I'm not saying they suck; in fact Fear Of The Dark is the first Maiden album with a song I don't enjoy). If I were to rank all the albums, best to worst as I see them now, it'd look something like this:

1. Somewhere In Time

2. The Final Frontier

3. Brave New World

5. Iron Maiden

6. Dance Of Death

7. Powerslave

8. Piece Of Mind

10. Killers

11. Number Of The Beast

12. Fear Of The Dark

14. The X Factor

15. Virtual XI

To me, the new stuff is the most mature the band has ever sounded, along with Somewhere In Time. The instrumental/solo sections in particular stand out on these 5 albums, and contain some of their most difficult stuff to date; Isle Of Avalon, Alexander The Great, The Longest Day, Starblind, Caught Somewhere In Time, Paschendale...the list goes on and on. Seventh Son is the strongest album lyrically as far as I'm concerned. Moonchild, Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son, and The Prophecy are all incredible in that department (I REALLY can't wait to see this stuff live in a few year's time!). If I had to pick my top 5 songs, I'd go with this, in this order:

1. When The Wild Wind Blows (I truly feel bad for anyone who hasn't gotten a chance to see this one live!)

2. Blood Brothers

3. Alexander The Great

4. Phantom Of The Opera

For me, it'd be more like:

1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

2. A Matter of Life and Death

3. Brave New World

4. Somewhere in Time

5. The Final Frontier

6. The X Factor

7. Piece of Mind

8. No Prayer for the Dying

9. Powerslave

10. The Number of the Beast

11. Fear of the Dark

12. Dance of Death

13. Iron Maiden

14. Virtual XI

15. Killers

I think my top 5 songs would be:

1. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

2. Moonchild

3. Starblind

4. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

5. Revelations or Paschendale

If I had to pick my top 5 songs, I'd go with this, in this order:

2. Blood Brothers

When The Wild Wind Blows was by and far the BEST new song on the tour, and my favorate song from the gig i was at. Deffinatly up there with Fear of the Dark

Blood Brothers, When they dedicated it to Ronnie James Dio was just awesome. So much feeling in the song

If I had to pick my top 5 songs, I'd go with this, in this order:

2. Blood Brothers

When The Wild Wind Blows was by and far the BEST new song on the tour, and my favorate song from the gig i was at. Deffinatly up there with Fear of the Dark

Blood Brothers, When they dedicated it to Ronnie James Dio was just awesome. So much feeling in the song

Absolutely, WTWWB is just incredible live. Most people, especially on the IMFC, seem to think The Talisman was the best TFF song live. The Talisman WAS good...before Bruce's voice started going later in the tour. From every version of the song I've heard, Tampa was really the peak of The Talisman live; it even gave When The Wild Wind Blows a run for it's money that night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgTDsuE-lSI

Maybe, but they'd take another 80 years to put out an album. Iron Maiden put aside their differences, shut the fuck up about it, and made insanely good music.

Something GNR won't ever do again if they reunite. I mean, prove me wrong, but they have a hard enough time releasing music as it is. Iron Maiden did the reunion thing properly and haven't looked back. One of the best bands of all-time, and the past 11 years alone have proven that. You don't even have to mention their 80s material, even though those albums are amazing also. That's quite a feat.

• 1 month later...

1. Somewhere In Time

2. The Final Frontier

3. Brave New World

5. Iron Maiden

6. Dance Of Death

7. Powerslave

8. Piece Of Mind

10. Killers

11. Number Of The Beast

12. Fear Of The Dark

14. The X Factor

15. Virtual XI

2. Blood Brothers

3. Alexander The Great

4. Phantom Of The Opera

For me, it'd be more like:

1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

2. A Matter of Life and Death

3. Brave New World

4. Somewhere in Time

5. The Final Frontier

6. The X Factor

7. Piece of Mind

8. No Prayer for the Dying

9. Powerslave

10. The Number of the Beast

11. Fear of the Dark

12. Dance of Death

13. Iron Maiden

14. Virtual XI

15. Killers

I think my top 5 songs would be:

1. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

2. Moonchild

3. Starblind

4. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

5. Revelations or Paschendale

Wow.... Iron Maiden and Killers are some of their best albums IMO!!! Wrathchild!! Sanctuary!!! Iron Maiden!!! Murders In The Rue Morgue!!! Phantom of the Opera!!! Twilight Zone!!! Shit I can't even begin to describe the awesomeness that are their two first albums...