Still not convinced by Ashba

W. Adam S

I am always very positive about the band and I have defended DJ in the past. However, he never seems to get past 80% of what I want him to be. The biggest problem he has is Ron. BBF is awesome! He is far more polished than DJ, even his tone is better. If Ron wasn't in the band, DJ would get away with it easier, he would just come across as a slighly sloppy, bluesy, rock n roll guitarist. Having him play next to a virtuoso like Ron doesn't work, the two styles clash.

Saying that, I have enjoyed both shows so far and maybe DJ will tighten up a bit over the next few weeks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree. DJ Ash is on a constatn learning curve.

He switches from good to filling in, like he is learning, which i guess he is, on the road to improvement.

When Slash first played Theme from Godfather, he sound as rough as anything. Instead of filling in, he played the whole song note for note without the polish. As the tour continued, he began to the play the Godfather theme brilliantly.

Funny anough, Slash is on Scuzz now. Its the Starlight video. Myles Kennedy is a pretty decent lead singer :thumbsup:

Edited by star

Really?

I'd say Ashba has much more emotion/creativity in his guitar work and charisma/presence on stage than Ron... Ron's perhaps the better 'virtuoso' at re-playing older GNR work

I'd say without Ashba that the concerts of New-GNR would be much more mechnical and boring.

Edited by NiXiS88

Ron is amazing, no doubt about that but DJ is also a good guitar player and I think some fans are too harsh on him. He really, really gives 100% at every show and he has contributed with two great guitar solos he's written himself, he doesn't get enough credit for that imo.

Axl must see something in DJ since he wanted him in GNR.

Yeah, I miss Robin Finck!

DJ reminds me too much of Slash. It makes GnR again seem like a whore rock band from the '80s. He brings that whole Sixx AM vibe to GnR which is so uncool.

Let's remember why Axl wanted Robin Finck in the first place:

1. Because Finck is a genius in creating cutting edge industrial and alternative rock music!

Because of Finck's credentials, Finck gave GnR more credibility and respect. You may not like NiN music but you sure would not disrespect them.

With Finck in GnR, it was that same thing. Non-GnR fans have to think twice before dissing GnR once they know Robin Finck - from NiN - was the main guitarist.

You don't get the same kind of respect with DJ (or Slash for the matter).

I still don't get it why he is in the band when there is Ron and Richard. No matter how hard DJ tries to perform at his best, he will always been blown away by Ron. It will be a step forward when Axl fired him.

"It will be a step forward when Axl fired him." ? Your comments add nothing,

if you do not like DJ you just have to say that, the rest of your analysis is superfluous, because you do not know what you're talking!!

you "don't understand why DJ is in GNR" because obviously you don't know all happens inside the band, like all of us, so if you get that kind of conclusions, from nowhere, makes no sense!!

DJ Ahba is a great guitar player, he plays with much more feeling than Finck, Bumblefoot or Buckethead.

I love GNR, but when I watched a GNR performance on Youtube back in 2006...I was like...mmkay, Robin fucks up many times, and it is played without feeling...

I think Ashba is the right guitarist to replace Slash...

Oh, there's just one thing...He should not behave like he's Slash. (Clothing, attitude) ..wonder if Axl wanted him to...

I agree to an extent with the original poster.

I can totally see where you're coming from with that, but I like DJ. He's a dedicated player and has a great feel for the songs, even if he isn't as technically accurate at nailing them. He's a creative writer too, so it's a shame nothing has come of that yet with this line-up. The one thing he does that I don't like, however, is simplify the guitar solo for Don't Cry. He's played far more difficult solos than that on other songs and with Sixx, but for whatever reason he totally simplifies the one part in the middle of the solo. Perhaps he just wanted to make it his own, which is cool, but I can't help but feel that it makes him sound more amateur than he really is.

DJ Ahba is a great guitar player, he plays with much more feeling than Finck, Bumblefoot or Buckethead.

I love GNR, but when I watched a GNR performance on Youtube back in 2006...I was like...mmkay, Robin fucks up many times, and it is played without feeling...

Oh, there's just one thing...He should not behave like he's Slash. (Clothing, attitude) ..wonder if Axl wanted him to...

Without feeling are you fuckiin deaf ?!

Ashba is the worst of all of then...he is a generyc hard rock player so meh.

Finck, Bumblefoot or Buckethead are unique individuals players!!!

Edited by KIKOZ3

Yeah, I miss Robin Finck!

DJ reminds me too much of Slash. It makes GnR again seem like a whore rock band from the '80s. He brings that whole Sixx AM vibe to GnR which is so uncool.

Let's remember why Axl wanted Robin Finck in the first place:

1. Because Finck is a genius in creating cutting edge industrial and alternative rock music!

Because of Finck's credentials, Finck gave GnR more credibility and respect. You may not like NiN music but you sure would not disrespect them.

With Finck in GnR, it was that same thing. Non-GnR fans have to think twice before dissing GnR once they know Robin Finck - from NiN - was the main guitarist.

You don't get the same kind of respect with DJ (or Slash for the matter).

finck was also sloppy live, made mistakes regularly, and murdered the scom solo. im not doubting his prowess in the studio, because what you said is right, hes great at creating new music. but this is a band that doesn't create new music, they replay old stuff. dj is perfectly capable of doing that

Let's just all hope that they don't RE record parts to the other mostly finished songs just because he is in the band. If so, you're talking another 5 years for another album. Axl is getting older, he needs to start releasing this stuff while he can still sing it live.

To say that Robin played with no feeling is absolutely untrue. If anything, I think he's played with MORE feeling than any other guitarist in the history of GNR. Yeah, I said it...

I really loved Finck , but have found DJ to be a really fitting replacement. Can anyone deny that they guy has genuine love and respect for the material? I think although we may be far away from hearing anything him and Axl have written together , that may be his biggest weapon. He is known to be a complimentary writer, and has a lot of material under his belt. The stuff with Sixx Am is really good, I'd encourage you guys to give it a listen if you haven't already. I think we all know how important it is to Axl that the guys he brings in not only shred but also have something to add during the creative process.

To say that Robin played with no feeling is absolutely untrue. If anything, I think he's played with MORE feeling than any other guitarist in the history of GNR. Yeah, I said it...

I somewhat agree. I think Slash and Robin played with a lot of feeling and had that 'soul' factor in their playing in Guns.

It's interesting to me to imagine why Axl wanted Robin to replace Slash. I mean, It's the player I'd choose too for taking Gn'R forward. A very inspired choice imo.

It's not really the chops that are the most important in being the lead guitar player in this band, this is obvious as all 3 leads (Slash, Robin and DJ) are not really that technical.

I think it's the ability to be soulful, melodic, to rock hard, and to maintain that balance of being bluesy yet inventive and original.

I see all 3 of them as worthy. I wasn't sold on DJ from the start, but I like him and he fits imo. Bumble is on a whole other level tho, as Bucket was too. (compared to DJ)

Edited by Rovim

Axl brought along DJ first of all because he looks and plays a bit like Slash does. He also is a likable dude and has good stage charisma & vibe which was lacking before (or after Slash departed). Axl must have thought it would help to bring the omnipresent "Slash come back" argument to an end... :shrugs:

Edited by trqster