Favorite Non-Album Cuts by Bands

James Bond

What are some of your favorite non-album cuts by bands?

AC/DC have some really great songs that never made an album. Two of my favorites are "Down on the Borderline" and "Borrowed Time" which are from around the release of Blow Up Your Video. In fact, I'd rank those two songs as better than much of the material that ended up on the final album. For a while I only had decent quality versions but thankfully they released much of those songs on the Backtracks CD/DVD set.

For Guns, I always sound "Crash Diet" was a great tune and could have been a killer track if it was reworked and released. There's a great cover of it on YouTube by scorpio1978 which kind of shows what could have been.

There's plenty of others I like, but those were the first that popped into my head.

Definitely agree on those 2 AC/DC tracks, as well as Snake Eye from the Blow Up Your Video sessions. Big Gun too, would have been the best song on Ballbreaker hands down. Are we counting stuff that wasn't released in all countries on an album? If so, add Cold Hearted Man to the AC/DC list.

For other bands:

Nobody Likes Me - Alice Cooper

I'm The Man - Anthrax

Raise Hell - Anthrax

Wicked World - Black Sabbath (If we're going on the "not available on all versions" clause too)

Shadow Of Your Love - Guns N' Roses

Oh My God - Guns N' Roses

Silkworms - Guns N' Roses

Burning Ambition - Iron Maiden (Definitely my favorite song with Paul Di'Anno, and one of my favorite Maiden songs period)

Invasion - Iron Maiden

Women In Uniform - Iron Maiden

Reach Out - Iron Maiden

That Girl - Iron Maiden

Admittedly, I don't know much non-album stuff from too many bands, but these are some of my favorites.

There's a lot of non studio album tracks that I love, released on different compilations.

Two that you guys may not know but are pretty good: Velvet Revolver - All Things Considered, Lay Me Down, pre-Scott outtakes. They sound a lot like It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere. The latter is especially good.

Above all, AC/DC Big Gun. IT IS AWESOME.

1- Motörhead's Overkill (iTunes Exclusive Version) should've been a bonus track in their latest album for sure

2- Metallica's No Leaf Clover and Minus Human should've both been in a studio album

3- Radiohead's Fog (Again): As much as I hate Radiohead, they don't have many songs up to par with this one, which has never been recorded.

4- GnR's Oh My God

5- Linkin Park's New Divide

6- Kanye West's Christian Dior Denim Flow and Good Friday

7- Gorillaz's Doncamatic: Not that good but better than almost anything from The Fall.

8- Buckethead's Jordan

9- AC/DC's Down on The Borderline