phaeryen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2012 there will be new record.

thanks for the exclusivity!

but seriously, I wasn't a pessimist, though I knew Axl couldn't just 'put out a song' or 'put out a record'. They needed to convince the label of a release. They needed a manager to work with the label. They needed a manager who could work with Axl. No manager, no label negotiation, no release (whether bonus track, remix, extra disc, re-launch, or ChineseII).

Since GnR got a new manager we got :

-RIR

-Live videos

-An Axl Rose and band members video interview

-Live pictures on facebook

-An US tour

-And constant blabber about a new album

Which means that GnR and management are currently trying to promote GnR as a "normal band" and not so much as "whatever Axl is doing while he could easily reunite the old band".

This is good. It's more than what NuGnR fans got during the last decade.

However, if this new manager cannot manage to release it and suddenly leaves, and I don't want to sound pessimistic, I don't see it getting released ever...

-RIR

-Live videos

-An US tour

Which means that GnR and management are currently trying to promote GnR as a "normal band" and not so much as "whatever Axl is doing while he could easily reunite the old band".

However, if this new manager cannot manage to release it and suddenly leaves, and I don't want to sound pessimistic, I don't see it getting released ever...

I am the only one who thinks they desperately scream in need of a band picture?

I doubt we'll see a new album soon, if ever.

The way Axl talked about CD in the interview, its like to him it just came out.

Sunny is right. And so is the OP. If you read between the lines of the TMS interview then you would know that Axl is still living thru CD,which is really bizarre. He also stated that he would have to see what the US audiences would do. I guess he is using this tour to gauge interest in future releases. One thing I got from him is that there is no album coming soon ,if ever. anybody who really believes an album is coming in the next three years is delusional. Everybody within the band claims they do not know if the songs will be released, which leads me to believe that Axl has communicated to them that it might never happen, or that he evades the topic all together. At 51 I do not think Axl is willing to relive another album release and all the bullshit that goes with it. It is apparent to me now that Axl never knew what the fuck he was doing. He promised a trilogy of albums, which was just a pipe dream. He also stated videos were coming, now he says he doesnt give two shits for videos. he just sits around and imagines uneccessary shit all day and people feed into it.

I doubt an album is on the way in the foreseeable future.

I still think releasing the leftover material would be a mistake. The US barely took to CD. More of the same doesn't seem to have much appeal to people this time around. Especially how there's not really much surrounding the next album like there was for CD. How it would do outside the US is a toss up, but I personally don't think we would see a 3.5 million if it's just like CD. Just my opinion of course.

Id say release the leftovers as a boxset of some sorts, and have the next album be with the current lineup. How long it would take, who knows? I'm not holding my breath. But I doubt it will be 2012.

I agree. I respect that some people on here liked CD, and of course it would be cool if the remainder of the material was released for the fans, but generally people (including me) didn't like that sound and releasing more of it would just eject GN'R even more to irrelevancy.

5 years from now the situation will be EXACTLY the same as today. And probably a few new threads like this one going on.

The sad thing is that even though Axl is on top form right now, he is 51(?) and each year is gonna take it's toll.

There is a huge difference between being 51 and 56 and at that age I can't see him perform like today.

-RIR

-Live videos

-An US tour

This is an interesting point. I find it a little hard to believe that every single past manager was either out to get Axl or only interested in a reunion. We know that people get fired and re-hired all the time in GNR-ville. It seemed to me that Merck was doing the best job he could, but at the same time I have no idea what really went on behind the scenes. But if we assume that Merck got fired for some kind of legitimate reason, and Azoff really was undermining the current band to push for a reunion, a person could see why Axl reacted to them both so negatively.

While this is all highly dubious, if it is true and the new manager really is only interested in the current band's interests (for once), then it's possible things could turn out entirely differently in 2012 than they did in 2006 and 2008. There definitely has been a lot of GNR activity and fan-friendly things happening over the last few months, and if this is related to Axl finally feeling comfortable with the people around him then anything can happen. I continue to believe that the lack of new music has more to do with Axl's indecision and struggling to figure out the musical direction the band should move in, and this interview did not change anything in this regard, but the bottom line is we still have no idea what Axl really thinks about the quality of the material that has already been recorded, and whether or not he wants to actually put something out "soon".

I doubt an album is on the way in the foreseeable future.

I still think releasing the leftover material would be a mistake. The US barely took to CD. More of the same doesn't seem to have much appeal to people this time around. Especially how there's not really much surrounding the next album like there was for CD. How it would do outside the US is a toss up, but I personally don't think we would see a 3.5 million if it's just like CD. Just my opinion of course.

Id say release the leftovers as a boxset of some sorts, and have the next album be with the current lineup. How long it would take, who knows? I'm not holding my breath. But I doubt it will be 2012.

I agree. I respect that some people on here liked CD, and of course it would be cool if the remainder of the material was released for the fans, but generally people (including me) didn't like that sound and releasing more of it would just eject GN'R even more to irrelevancy.

I hope they keep up with the experimentation. I love bands that always try to explore new grounds, like MetallicA, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam... I mean, bands that cling to a sound for eternity are so boooooring. That's my biggest fear in having the old band reunite. Having Gn'R turned into a generic hard rock band, just like VR, would be a nightmare...

Definitely think Axl subscribes to the Beatles theory, expanding and experimenting with your sound on each new album, rather than recording the same thing over and over again (a la AC/DC, Kiss, etc.) I absolutely, 100% agree with this viewpoint. The difference being, the Beatles released a new album every 6-12 months, not once every 17 years.

Edited by axlsalinger

Definitely think Axl subscribes to the Beatles theory, expanding and experimenting with your sound on each new album, rather than recording the same thing over and over again (a la AC/DC, Kiss, etc.) I absolutely, 100% agree with this viewpoint. The difference being, the Beatles released a new album every 6-12 months, not once every 17 years.

True. But you gotta remember that Axl's notion of time/space is pretty fucked up.

5 years from now the situation will be EXACTLY the same as today. And probably a few new threads like this one going on.

The sad thing is that even though Axl is on top form right now, he is 51(?) and each year is gonna take it's toll.

There is a huge difference between being 51 and 56 and at that age I can't see him perform like today.

He is 49, and turns 50 the 6th of February.

I doubt we'll see a new album soon, if ever.

The way Axl talked about CD in the interview, its like to him it just came out.

Sunny is right. And so is the OP. If you read between the lines of the TMS interview then you would know that Axl is still living thru CD,which is really bizarre. He also stated that he would have to see what the US audiences would do. I guess he is using this tour to gauge interest in future releases. One thing I got from him is that there is no album coming soon ,if ever. anybody who really believes an album is coming in the next three years is delusional. Everybody within the band claims they do not know if the songs will be released, which leads me to believe that Axl has communicated to them that it might never happen, or that he evades the topic all together. At 51 I do not think Axl is willing to relive another album release and all the bullshit that goes with it. It is apparent to me now that Axl never knew what the fuck he was doing. He promised a trilogy of albums, which was just a pipe dream. He also stated videos were coming, now he says he doesnt give two shits for videos. he just sits around and imagines uneccessary shit all day and people feed into it.

A bit harshly put but I'd have to agree. Even though I'd disagree that he never knew what he was doing. I think he had ideas (hiring Buckethead etc.

were interesting creative decisions) but he has no follow through

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

now he says he doesnt give two shits for videos.

That’s inaccurate. Axl’s sentiments in the TV interview actually suggest videos for Chinese remain a possibility.

“That’s part of the reason why there haven’t been videos for Chinese yet.”

Axl wants a mature audience before dropping a ten minute visual epic.

The release of the album depends on the success of the US Tour which seems to be going well so far.

I think that might be a part of it, but I still have a feeling that this tour was more of a legal obligation than anything else.

The lawsuit with Azoff ends, then not too long after, we get a tour.

Hmmmmm.....

They're not playing shows like it's a legal obligation. They prob. wanted to get around to touring the US before getting off the road. This was more of a pissing contest than it was a lawsuit.