Slash was on Chinese?

tarheels180

In a new interview with Bumblefoot, he states that "Well the stuff on Chinese by Slash was gone by then, he was out for a good couple of years" at one point in response to a question about what solos he plays live. Did he mis-speak, or is it possible that some of those legendary 1994-1996 rumored sessions with Slash actually appeared on Chinese at one point?

http://www.examiner.com/hard-rock-music-in-new-york/exclusive-ny-hard-rock-examiner-interview-bumblefoot-of-guns-n-roses

Edited by tarheels180

I suppose there might be material which was around then which was then worked on by more recent incarnations of the band.

We know that This I Love was around in some form at least as early as 1991/2 and it was said that it was recorded so there might have been stuff with Slash on it.

I don't think it's a misquote at all. It's true that some of the songs on CD go back even before the Illusions sessions... all the brainchild of Axl. I'm sure Slash laid down some work for a few songs that appear on Chinese. But that work was obviously ditched after new guitarists were brought in.

I'd KILL to hear any of that stuff.

I don't think it's a misquote at all. It's true that some of the songs on CD go back even before the Illusions sessions... all the brainchild of Axl. I'm sure Slash laid down some work for a few songs that appear on Chinese. But that work was obviously ditched after new guitarists were brought in.

good point, i forgot that this i love dates to somewhere around 1991-1993. i would kill to hear it too. i feel like i heard once that fall to pieces dates to around 1996 as well, although i cant confirm that. either way, if ron really was being serious, id love to hear any of that stuff

Great interview! And also great interviewer, he seemed to know what he was talking about. Bumble seemed strangely reluctant to answer certain good questions though, like how Estranged got into the setlist. "Axl just wants to play it I guess". I thought Ron was proud of getting Estranged back in the set.

good point, i forgot that this i love dates to somewhere around 1991-1993. i would kill to hear it too. i feel like i heard once that fall to pieces dates to around 1996 as well, although i cant confirm that. either way, if ron really was being serious, id love to hear any of that stuff

I also understand that the reason why Slash left was because Axl was trying to go in the direction of a more industrial sound at the time. I'd REALLY kill to hear any of that stuff! I'm sure there's hours of material that the band worked on while Slash was still in the fold. Some of in in one form or another, particularly This I Love, wound up on CD I'm sure. A lot of people don't even know that the basic piano parts to November Rain and even Don't Cry go back before GNR even existed.

I forgot who said it, but apparently "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" was Slash's vision for the next GNR album after TSI. When Axl refused to work on it, it became Slash's first solo project. I still feel Axl on some of Slash's stuff, including VR stuff, would have been huge hits. As well as Slash on some of Axl's stuff from CD. The "If The World" mash up is case-in-point. Shame those guys couldn't work it out.

I also understand that the reason why Slash left was because Axl was trying to go in the direction of a more industrial sound at the time. I'd REALLY kill to hear any of that stuff! I'm sure there's hours of material that the band worked on while Slash was still in the fold. Some of in in one form or another, particularly This I Love, wound up on CD I'm sure. A lot of people don't even know that the basic piano parts to November Rain and even Don't Cry go back before GNR even existed.

I forgot who said it, but apparently "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" was Slash's vision for the next GNR album after TSI. When Axl refused to work on it, it became Slash's first solo project. I still feel Axl on some of Slash's stuff, including VR stuff, would have been huge hits. As well as Slash on some of Axl's stuff from CD. The "If The World" mash up is case-in-point. Shame those guys couldn't work it out.

Yeah I feel the exact same way. As great as fall to pieces was with weiland, who i love, i think it could of been the next SCOM with axl. and that mash up of beautiful dangerous and prostitute called a new beginning is phenomenal stuff. i really would of liked to hear slash on things like CITR and axl on some of the vr stuff

I forgot who said it, but apparently "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" was Slash's vision for the next GNR album after TSI. When Axl refused to work on it, it became Slash's first solo project.

I heard that too. Slash showed him the material and Axl hated it. Axl wanted to go in a new direction with the album, not Slash's direction which is sad because 5:00 had some good songs on there.

If you hear the bridge of 'Back and Forth Again' from Snakepit, that same little riff is in the making-of Estranged with Axl's whistle (nearly at the end). Back in 1988, Slash played the solo of 'Back and Forth Again' as part of his solo act performing with Guns N' Roses. 'Fall To Pieces' was one of the demos Slash presented to Axl (he talked about this in that 'Axl gets vocal' from 2008 or whatever). So, Axl definitely rejected some of the songs Slash has been playing since he fuckin' left Guns N' Roses. Almost forgot, now that I remember, if you have heard the main riff and solo of 'Nothing to Say' (Slash's solo album 2010), he played some of those notes in the amazing intro for Double Talkin' Jive back in 1993.

That's all I know :)

Edited by pi2loc