NOV 20th 2011 - Wilkes Barre, PA @ Mohegan Sun Arena

The Real McCoy

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Axl absolutely kill it at this show? How were the vocals?

That's what I want to know. Some video would be nice too.

the vocals were spot on all night, not a ton of rasp but a ton of power.

didn't get any videos though, security was hardass about cameras and didnt have a phone Dx

bootleg of this one would be nice to have

section 104 review----awesome i guess will calls this dj's side. highlights was defiantly how the band interacts with the fans along the rails. dj must have thrown 50 picks into the crowd. Played alot on the side ramp while sitting on the rail or against. Richard must not get along well with his guitar...hes always beating it while he plays..(lol) that was a bad joke but he plays with such emotion. At one point while dj was walking along into the crowd he had to stop some girl was sicking in his way and she had no clue he was there. The look on her face and she got him to give him a kiss on the cheek. It was a grea show i had no problem with the sounds in fact one of the better sounds at a concert

Did Axl absolutely kill it at this show? How were the vocals?

Killer, everything was sounding really nice. Can't think of any songs off-hand that weren't really up to par.

Did he sing the "ass in the air" line on YCBM?

No. But Black Sabbath, myself, and a couple others in the crowd did! B)

I'll post more about it later...once I'm done with my classes for the day. Admittedly not feeling great (Not concert related), so I'm praying today goes by quick...

Hi Everyone! I just registered but have been following and reading here for years. I met many forum members yesterday/last night in line for the front row. I was the girl with the 19-1/2 years sign! I thought I would finally suck it up and join the conversation. Hi Guys! I met Black Sabbath and a Morrison fellow I believe and a few others, but not sure of their screen names. Everyone was super nice!

Last night was my first GNR concert, attempted one other time at Philly in '02, hugely pregnant for '06. So being I am 31 and was 11 when I officially became a fan this this was a night I had been waiting for for a very long time! I had the most amazing day ever. I loved every second. The waiting did not bother me one single bit, either outside or once on the rail for the big show to start. My husband and I were able to get rail positions nearly a little right to the center. The stars were aligned for me last night as that is where Axl spent most of his time, front and center belting it out. I think they were five songs in before I even realized anyone else was on the stage, he is PURELY MAGNETIC!!! (hence my screen name) I could not take my eyes off of him! He looked incredible, way, way better than any picture could do him justice. To finally see him with my own eyes and not on a screen after all these years of being a fan were many dreams come true!

His voice was spot on all night, he did not miss a single beat, incredible the power he has. He wore glasses all night except for Paradise City. I kept yelling for him to take his glasses off, I wanted to see those eyes!

I was extremely impressed by each band member, that DJ really has something! Very much enjoyed his solos and spotlights.

I thought I would get teary eyed when I saw Axl for the first time, actually the tears came at the end when it was over. I just did not want it to be over or him to leave the stage. It was a purely magical night for me!

Thanks to everyone we met yesterday/this morning! It was a blast. I still feel like I am floating on a high! I think I am going to be addicted to see them live for sure!

Guys, sorry for lack of tweets, I was more focused on the concert. Holy shit was it amazing! Second show ever for me and I loved it just as much the second time!

I'll post more details when I'm home (stopped at school at my apartment to crash since it was only 2.5 hrs away from the venue).

Some funny shit happened during this show. Axl gave a Charles manson rant, pretty funny. At one point someone threw up a shirt that read "azoff is an asshole." Axl held it up and laughed. My buddy has a great picture of that. I'll be posting all my pics in a few hours.

I will so be there next time they come to CT.

Man why you msising the boat?

Fortus needs a nose job!!

Why not post a pic of yourself so we can admire the perfection?

Anyone would look like perfection compared to that massive thing on his face. Why do you always valiantly defend everything anyone ever says about a new gnr member? Even when it's obviously a joke?

Anyone see Frank get pissed and kick the tom over? Then he shot his tech the bird lol

Nice to meet everyone last night!

lol i did then tommy had to walk over and try to tell them no sound in franks ear. Then i watched the tech guy throw his hands up in the air as to say "i dont know"

359dax1.jpg

Fernando Lebeis

There is always time ... Hanging out... instagr.am/p/VIfzJ/

Ha I knew you guys were up to something back there! Hope you had a great night! Nice to meet you! :)

And yes there will be a full DVD bootleg soon.

There will be a full DVD/Bootleg of this show,you mean? Who managed to record it?

Hi Everyone! I just registered but have been following and reading here for years. I met many forum members yesterday/last night in line for the front row. I was the girl with the 19-1/2 years sign! I thought I would finally suck it up and join the conversation. Hi Guys! I met Black Sabbath and a Morrison fellow I believe and a few others, but not sure of their screen names. Everyone was super nice!

Last night was my first GNR concert, attempted one other time at Philly in '02, hugely pregnant for '06. So being I am 31 and was 11 when I officially became a fan this this was a night I had been waiting for for a very long time! I had the most amazing day ever. I loved every second. The waiting did not bother me one single bit, either outside or once on the rail for the big show to start. My husband and I were able to get rail positions nearly a little right to the center. The stars were aligned for me last night as that is where Axl spent most of his time, front and center belting it out. I think they were five songs in before I even realized anyone else was on the stage, he is PURELY MAGNETIC!!! (hence my screen name) I could not take my eyes off of him! He looked incredible, way, way better than any picture could do him justice. To finally see him with my own eyes and not on a screen after all these years of being a fan were many dreams come true!

His voice was spot on all night, he did not miss a single beat, incredible the power he has. He wore glasses all night except for Paradise City. I kept yelling for him to take his glasses off, I wanted to see those eyes!

I was extremely impressed by each band member, that DJ really has something! Very much enjoyed his solos and spotlights.

I thought I would get teary eyed when I saw Axl for the first time, actually the tears came at the end when it was over. I just did not want it to be over or him to leave the stage. It was a purely magical night for me!

Thanks to everyone we met yesterday/this morning! It was a blast. I still feel like I am floating on a high! I think I am going to be addicted to see them live for sure!

Congrats!!!

Alright, hope you guys are ready for a novel of a review...

I'm sure if you're reading this thread, you probably read about my dilemma yesterday morning. If not, to recap, our friend that was going with my roommate and I was so sick she couldn't drive the 15 minutes from her house to our apartment, and so she backed out on us at about 10:30 yesterday morning. Therefore, my morning was spent frantically trying to find someone who could take her ticket, which we did. Fortunately, she thinks she'll be feeling good enough to go with me to Albany on Wednesday!

Got to the venue at about 3:30, and found out the parking lot didn't open until 4 (Which turned into 4:30). I left my car with my roommate so he could park while I got in line. Met Black Sabbath, The Real McCoy, and guesswellhavetowaitnsee in line, otherwise the queue was pretty uneventful. Doors opened about 20 mins late, and once we were in we got a barrier spot in between Tommy and DJ's mics. We took turns going to get merch before the crowd got too deep. Unfortunately, it seems they don't have the Chinese worker shirt anymore, which I was really bummed about.

Baz came on at 8:30, and he put on a great show as usual. He was a little hot-tempered last night (I guess justifiably so?). A couple songs in, he threw a water bottle to someone in the crowd, and someone else grabbed it from them, so Baz spent a good 15-20 seconds just saying "hey dude, fuck you!" over and over again. A few songs later, he stopped the song to bitch out a guy that was apparently hitting a woman, and taunted him in a typical Baz manner. Otherwise though, it was a great set. Baz has really kept his voice in shape well, and he's a wild frontman. Got one of his setlists after their set, and a pick from the bald guitarist (Don't know any of his bandmates' names to be honest).

Cue the long wait for GN'R. We were convinced they might be on a bit early, as their crew was really hurrying to get the stage ready to go. However, that turned into an hour and 45 minute wait. Once 10:30 rolled around, the crowd started getting a bit rowdy; it seemed there were several fights farther back on the floor, and apparently one incident of someone pissing on someone else. The crowd started booing pretty much unanimously at the beginning of every song over the PA.

Fortunately, once the lights went down and the band came on, everyone's moods seemed to turn around real quick. The first thing that struck me about the show in general is how well everything is gelling. It's 100% obvious that everyone is on stage because they love playing with one another, and they all have great chemistry together. The sound wasn't the greatest where we were; we had one of the front-of stage stacks about a foot in front of us, and it was mostly putting out Axl's vocals. That being said, his voice was GREAT! He was in a great mood it seemed too. Told a really funny story about Charles Manson, which someone responded to by throwing a "Charlie Don't Surf" shirt on stage.

I'm not sure I have too much to say about the overall show that hasn't already been said this tour. I really love how the band is playing Don't Cry right now, IMO it's the best it's ever sounded live. Estranged is just amazing live, I'm really happy they threw it back in the set. However much flak they're taking for doing 2 AC/DC covers, Riff Raff is perfect for GN'R. If they had to drop one, I'd prefer that it be Whole Lotta Rosie. The last thing that really stood out to me, a lot of people complain about how Axl sings the outro of You Could Be Mine. I actually really dig how he's singing it right now, and I actually prefer it to the studio version.

Black Sabbath - you're a class A dude! It was really great to meet you, and I hope you have a blast in Camden later in the week! :thumbsup:

All in all, I'd say I enjoyed last night a bit more than Hamilton last year, despite Hamilton having gotten TWAT. Can't wait for Albany on Wednesday!

11-19-11

6:30am - up for work.

4pm - drive from Pittsburgh to Wilkes-Barre.

9:30pm - arrive in Wilkes-Barre.

2:30am - get back to hotel in Wilkes-Barre.

Minimal sleep because the Red Roof allows pets and I believe our bed had fleas.

11-20-11

11:30am - check out of hotel.

2pm - line up for show.

6:50pm - doors open 20 minutes late.

8:30pm - BAZ

11:15pm - GNR - front row!!

2:30am - drive back to Pittsburgh.

11-21-11

8:30am - arrive home. Bed.

Noon - awake with no voice, body is sore, ankles swollen, eyes itching, ears ringing, head spinning, and willing to leave right now to do it again.

The show was great. 4th time I've seen GNR and probably the best.

The nearly 5 hour wait in line wasn't too bad. Met some people from the forum... The Real McCoy, guesswellhavetowaitandsee, BlackSabbath, Purely Magnetic, and few other's who's screen names I don't remember lol.

Baz killed it. He stopped one song to yell at some guy for hitting a girl. Before security got over there, another guy in the crowd put him in a sleeper hold and nearly choked him out. He tried throwing someone a bottle of water, but someone else caught it. The guy was cussed out by Baz for doing so.

During the wait for GNR, a couple more people got thrown out for fighting. Someone else got carried out after they passed out on the floor.

Axl sounded great. The youtube videos do him no justice. No, he doesn't sing with the rasp he used to, but all the songs still sound great. Bumblefoot was pretty interactive with us in the front. A guy behind me yelled Freebird, so Bumble asked, "who the fuck keeps saying freebird?" Another guy, front row, dead center, yelled "I love you!" Bumble yells back, "I love you too, sweetie." During Whole Lotta Rosie, he was holding his guitar out and letting people play it. Shook hands with him at the end of the show. Told him I hope his neck gets better.

Axl told a weird story about Charles Manson. He said some guy asked him if he liked Charles Manson. Axl told the guy that he used to wear a Charlie shirt and they did one of his songs, but he pretty much just liked the shirt. So the guy tells Axl that a friend of his wrote a book about Charles Manson. Somehow Manson got the guy's number and called him collect. He tells the guy about how he likes to make spiders out of the threads of his underwear. It takes him 30 days (I believe that's the time frame) to make a spider because it takes a while to unthread his underwear. Axl says, "I wish I could say, and look! I have one right here! But I don't. True story though. Not sure why I decided to share that with you." Hopefully someone got a bootleg. It sounded better the way Axl told it. After the story, someone threw a Charles Manson shirt on stage. Axl held it up.

A guy threw a banner on stage that said "GNR They're Baaack." Axl held it up and kept it. Someone else threw a shirt on stage that said "Azoff is an Asshole." Axl wiped his ass with it and thew it back.

Overall the crowd seemed kinda weak though. Kinda on the quiet said. Could've just been that I was half deaf from being directly in front of the speakrs. I couldn't see how full the floor was. Lower level was 60-70% full. 5 setions opposite of the stage had no one in them. Upper level had a handful of people. Oh well, the ones who didn't show up were punished. They missed a great show.

I will so be there next time they come to CT.

Man why you msising the boat?

Fortus needs a nose job!!

Why not post a pic of yourself so we can admire the perfection?

Anyone would look like perfection compared to that massive thing on his face. Why do you always valiantly defend everything anyone ever says about a new gnr member? Even when it's obviously a joke?

I mean do we really give a fuck how big a band member's nose is? Come the fuck on......

We really need to stop discussing stupid bullshit like this.

Coming from the guy who always refers to Slash as Saul, just to get a reaction out of Slash fans. :rolleyes:

Great show. This band Is simply amazing live. I have to say I have been to probably sixty concerts In my lifetime and this was one of the worst crowds I have ever seen(energy-attendance). Other than that It was a great show, so If you are on the fence about buying a ticket, do yourself a favor, get a ticket and witness one of the last great frontman of all time