Frank Ferrer

axlsalinger

Frank is the man! I love how he adds his own bits to the songs without taking anything away from them or going overboard with fills and stuff. The bits he adds or changes in Rocket Queen and Mr. Brownstone are welcome changes. He's got a killer groove all his own. I really do think he's the best drummer the band has ever had. Great blend of technique, feel, and articulation. He pounds the shit out of those drums.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Ferrer is the greatest drummer GNR has ever had.

Wrong, Josh Freese and Brain are always sought after for their talents across the industry, if Frank was sacked do You imagine Trent calling him up for NIN, Or whoever?

He does an ok job, best ever? No, not close imo

Oh, so a drummer is only good if Trent Reznor wants to use him for Nine Inch Nails?

I was using that as a benchmark, an example hence the " Or whoever?"

If you are good enough to be a session player you have it made, Frank though good is not on that level. Sorry!

But Frank has been a session player...

Other than "fun" Collaborations in the studio with friends, when as he been hired by a giant in the industry to record an album or song? ( other than Guns)

I'm intrigued...

Wrong, Josh Freese and Brain are always sought after for their talents across the industry, if Frank was sacked do You imagine Trent calling him up for NIN, Or whoever?

Oh, so a drummer is only good if Trent Reznor wants to use him for Nine Inch Nails?

If you are good enough to be a session player you have it made, Frank though good is not on that level. Sorry!

Other than "fun" Collaborations in the studio with friends, when as he been hired by a giant in the industry to record an album or song? ( other than Guns)

I'm intrigued...

Who do you consider a "giant"?

The way I would probably rank the GNR drummers would be Adler>Frank>Brain>Sorum. I didn't include Freese cause he hasn't gigged with GNR. Although I think Sorum was the worst he has a few great moments like Estranged - he did a great job with that tune and a few other Illusion tunes

They've never been consistent in style of drummers. Adler was average, Matt was more technically skilled, John can play anything like Paramore, Brain was more hip hop and Frank was more straightforward rock and roll.

Of course I base all this on other sources since I know nothing about drummers. On some tracks on CD Brain and Frank played on them. I didn't notice any changes.

I'm intrigued...

Lets keep it straight down the line of number of millions of records sold inc pop music (which I hate)

Names in the hat are Dave Grohl, Josh Freese , Jason Bonham etc.

Are you saying Frank would be in the hat too? Who has he worked with as a session player, out of curiousity??

I'm intrigued...

Lets keep it straight down the line of number of millions of records sold inc pop music (which I hate)

Are you saying Frank would be in the hat too? Who has he worked with as a session player, out of curiousity??

Does it really matter? Franks drumming works well with the current lineup, that all that I care about

I'm intrigued...

You're right man, ya got me. Josh and Brain were better.

I'm intrigued...

Does it really matter? Franks drumming works well with the current lineup, that all that I care about

I actually play drums, so it's of interest to me!

Guns has had great drummers! Frank is ok ,though in my opinion far from the best ever.

I love it when people assume that because Frank or Brain does a fucking intro to a song different than Matt or Steven, that it wasnt intentional. That it was incompetence. SMH...

I love Josh and Brain and Frank, but I think Frank fits this band better than any other. Well, I would've liked to have seen Josh live with Gnr. Check out youtube clips of him playing live, like with the Vandals. Total monster. Brain is a phenomenal drummer - check out his shit on Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains for example - an old fave of mine. If I had to make a distinction, Josh I think is better live, Brain better in the studio. Anyway, AXL please let Frank fucking play his ass off. He's a rockin' drummer.

Thanks Frank!

I'm intrigued...

Only my opinion, you are entitled to yours.

Thanks for the chat! :xmasssanta:

I'm intrigued...

Only my opinion, you are entitled to yours.

Thanks for the chat! :xmasssanta:

Obviously not, since you straight-up told me I was wrong.

Sorry to interrupt the convo, but Frank played with Tool, whose drum parts I think are comparable enough to NIN or any other 'elite' rock act you guys wanna talk about. Frank is laid back but can do whatever you throw at him, I think.

Sorry to interrupt the convo, but Frank played with Tool, whose drum parts I think are comparable enough to NIN or any other 'elite' rock act you guys wanna talk about. Frank is laid back but can do whatever you throw at him, I think.

Nothing to interrupt , it's cool!

That was live I believe, and sure he did a good job, but was referring to hired work for an album / single relesase (other than Guns)

Wrong, Josh Freese and Brain are always sought after for their talents across the industry

Right and that's why they are not in the band anymore. :rolleyes:

Yes you're right! Axl didn't want them anymore, congratulations on an epic post!!! Sure he really wanted them to go.

Also both said drummers since leaving have gone on and featured on many artists records since their departure.

Wrong, Josh Freese and Brain are always sought after for their talents across the industry

Yes you're right! Axl didn't want them anymore, congratulations on an epic post!!! Sure he really wanted them to go.

There are many reasons why they are not in the band anymore and that's probably one of them.

There are many reasons why they are not in the band anymore and that's probably one of them.

Josh was under contract, he is not the sort to hang around in a band for long anyway, he enjoys floating around doing different projects.

It's when people say Frank Ferrer is a better abled drummer than Josh, makes me LOL!

A good fit for the band in all though.

Brain was a different situation, don't think anyone knows why he never came back, but you gotta roll with what you got, and it's good! :xmasssanta:

Maybe I should start a Matt Sorum thread, so we can actually talk about Frank. Nobody who has drummed for GNR is better than Josh Freese. But that is not the point. We are talking about the chemistry in GNR in 2011.

When the LA clips are available, keep on eye on Frank. He has gotten really, really good.

Edited by axlsalinger

Brain was a different situation, don't think anyone knows why he never came back, but you gotta roll with what you got, and it's good! :xmasssanta:

Maybe the paycheck issue/discussion with Axl is a part of it.

I love Frank and as someone who drums a bit I really appreciated seeing him on the livestream last night! Great footage of Frank last night was a nice surprise to me.

Frank had a really sore leg here in Australia last year but kept drumming through the pain and never gave up - I admire the man's character as well as his drumming.