Where would GN'R be today if....

Gunner927

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in the public eye they would've been looked at in the same way all of the other bands from the 80s were looked at in the 90s, (as a joke).

People don't remember that when spaghetti came out the mass public looked at it as a joke. I do think that they would've gotten out at least 1 more studio album, hardcore fans would've loved it, general public would've joked about it and things would've ended up about the same. Axl wouldn't be seen for years, Slash would be doing any guest appearance he could. Izzy would be doing his own thing...same as duff and matt.

Thats the thing that gets me, people seem to forget that when nirvana,soundgarden,stp...etc were all popular guns were a joke to the mass public, I will always think that Axl did the right thing by laying low (either it being on purpose or not) during the mid to late 90s and coming back when he did. But I do wish we could've heard 1 more album with Axl's early to mid-30's voice on it, he sounded awesome on the come together cover he did with bruce, its a shame thats all we will really hear from the era of Axl.

I think they would've declined in popularity in the US, and maintained playing arenas worldwide, and prob. not toured the US that much. I think the 2000s would've fared better for them and an album that would've been part VR, part ChiDem, would've done well because it would've been one album, 14 songs and praised as going back to AFD but with a 21st century sound, and more maturity in the songs.

If they had stuck together they would all be showing up to the 2012 induction without any issues.

As it stands, my guess is, they will all be there minus Axl. If they do perform, they would use a stand in vocalist (maybe more than one ?)

IMO it doesn't matter what incarnation of the band is/could be still active today, they will never reach the peak they hit in the early 90's. But I think if the old band was still together (and all still alive) they would be a lot bigger in terms of mainstream success

I think in the public eye they would've been looked at in the same way all of the other bands from the 80s were looked at in the 90s, (as a joke).

People don't remember that when spaghetti came out the mass public looked at it as a joke. I do think that they would've gotten out at least 1 more studio album, hardcore fans would've loved it, general public would've joked about it and things would've ended up about the same. Axl wouldn't be seen for years, Slash would be doing any guest appearance he could. Izzy would be doing his own thing...same as duff and matt.

Thats the thing that gets me, people seem to forget that when nirvana,soundgarden,stp...etc were all popular guns were a joke to the mass public, I will always think that Axl did the right thing by laying low (either it being on purpose or not) during the mid to late 90s and coming back when he did. But I do wish we could've heard 1 more album with Axl's early to mid-30's voice on it, he sounded awesome on the come together cover he did with bruce, its a shame thats all we will really hear from the era of Axl.

They were by no means looked at as a joke by the mass public when Nirvana ,Soungarden and Stp were popular, as a matter of fact they were In there prime.Nirvana released Nevermind on September 24,1991, Soungarden released Badmotorfinger on October 8,1991(and opened for Guns In 1992) and STP released Core on September 29, 1992 so your statement Is completley off. The stats for the Use Your Illusion Tour were as follows, 192 dates In 27 countries with 7 million tickets sold, grossing 58 million dollars If that's considered a joke, then there are many bands out there right now, that would love to be considered a joke. As another board member stated earlier(Eddie Money).GnR killed themselves. These other bands had nothing to do with It.

They were by no means looked at as a joke by the mass public when Nirvana ,Soungarden and Stp were popular, as a matter of fact they were In there prime.Nirvana released Nevermind on September 24,1991, Soungarden released Badmotorfinger on October 8,1991(and opened for Guns In 1992) and STP released Core on September 29, 1992 so your statement Is completley off. The stats for the Use Your Illusion Tour were as follows, 192 dates In 27 countries with 7 million tickets sold, grossing 58 million dollars If that's considered a joke, then there are many bands out there right now, that would love to be considered a joke. As another board member stated earlier(Eddie Money).GnR killed themselves. These other bands had nothing to do with It.

1992 vma's...end of story.

They might have been considered a joke to you, your friend and Kurt Cobain but that hardly represents the mass public. Cobain, shotgun blast...end of story.

That little disagreement between Axl and Nirvana proves that GNR were definitely still important. So much so that Nirvana viewed them as a threat so they tried to paint them as being uncool because GNR was no longer operating as a club band. They were about big production, big songs, expensive videos, and a massive worldwide tour. Nirvana was still on their way up and didn't totally blow up worldwide until 1994 when Cobain killed himself. In 1992, Nirvana couldn't sell out stadiums or crowds of 60,000+ (like GNR could) unless they headlined a big music festival, which they began doing in Summer 1993.

spaghetti went to number 4 on the overall billboard charts. hardly a laughable effort.

some of you people need to read some damn facts before you start in with your bullshit.

I was there in 94-95 at 15 years old. the problem was not cheese, the problem was a lack of damn new music.

Why do you think slash was able to do what he did with snakepit. you create a vacuum and people want to fill it with something else.

maybe grunge was huge but the older people i knew did not care for it like people my age did. those in their thirties would have bought anything GNR released.

also, i agree with the slow build argument. Imagine if guns had put an album like this before appetite and gotten a little fanfare.

Dont cry

Back off bitch

don't damn me

restless life

used to love her

you're crazy

shadow of your love

Rosie

anything goes

Brownstone as the single

10 great songs but not the anthems like jungle, pc, and sweet child. Really those three songs with any other 7 or so songs and you have one hell of an album.

That little disagreement between Axl and Nirvana proves that GNR were definitely still important. So much so that Nirvana viewed them as a threat so they tried to paint them as being uncool because GNR was no longer operating as a club band. They were about big production, big songs, expensive videos, and a massive worldwide tour. Nirvana was still on their way up and didn't totally blow up worldwide until 1994 when Cobain killed himself. In 1992, Nirvana couldn't sell out stadiums or crowds of 60,000+ (like GNR could) unless they headlined a big music festival, which they began doing in Summer 1993.

Very well put and right on the money.

Well, I have not read all the reviews, but now Guns n 'Roses would together be as big as Rolling Stone, for example. And the type of music would be different, more rock.

Today the band's success lives 20 years ago. That name has a lot of weight to what is the current band. Anyway, I like CD and this isn't a criticism, but an opinion.

I just think it comes down to the usual rivalries that happens between young guys in bands. I don't think Nirvana saw them as a threat at all as much as a band representing the worst things in rock to Kurt. Part of the grunge thing was kind of feminist in nature, but I'm sure they were all banging the same groupies. I just think once Cobain was at the fame level GNR had been at, he couldn't deal with it, where GNR basically took it to excessive levels and watched it implode. Cobain and Grohl had their falling out, and everyone figures that Foo Fighters still would've happened.

Nirvana didn't really spend much time touring for In Utero, but they were playing arenas. I don't know if they would've been playing stadiums, or would've wanted to. Pearl Jam pulled the smartest move by pulling back from being poster boys and just became road dogs. It was never "Vedder's band" and that's a big part why they've been able to keep it going. U2 isn't "Bono's band", they've basically said it's Larry's band, because he's the one who actually formed it when he posted the note on the school bulletin board.

Talking about Nirvana in 92 is like talking about GNR in 1988. Were they big enough to play stadiums at the time as a headliner?

Overall, GNR were unaffected by grunge, but in the mid 90s, when it came time to record new music, a lot changed in 5 years, but they could still pack arenas in had they not stopped touring.

Well, I have not read all the reviews, but now Guns n 'Roses would together be as big as Rolling Stone, for example. And the type of music would be different, more rock.

Today the band's success lives 20 years ago. That name has a lot of weight to what is the current band. Anyway, I like CD and this isn't a criticism, but an opinion.

The Stones went through different phases over almost 50 years and can't compare the two bands. By being on the heels of The Beatles helped keep some of the heat off of them, and by the time they were headlining arenas, after 3 years of doing almost no live performing, were able to blaze the path into the 70s as far as concerts go. I just think if GNR had kept it togehter and put music out, their status as a legendary band would've diminished a lot. It's like talking about any rock legend like McCartney or Dylan - the fact they didn't live fast and die young bums people out. A band that can't hold it together will always be seen as young... it's like Filth and the Fury, the Pistols do their interviews as silhouettes because they want to keep it in that period of time.

The new band plays stadiums still off pretty much 90% hype for the old songs and what the name used to mean. The people in the band are all but unknown. GNR hasn't put out a commercially explosive album in 20 years or been in the media hardly at all. All this and they still play stadiums and anything Axl says will get listened to by lots of people.

Now, imagine the old band was still playing with him and they put out steady albums starting in say 1994 or 1995.

Duh! Of course they'd be huge, if this band can be pretty big than the original band can obviously be huge. People who argue this are confused, backward people.

It's all politics. Some people are too invested in this stuff where they are incapable of praising the old band or vice versa with the new band. Who knows what some people really think. I've kind of stepped back from it all and I just respect both bands as two very different entities.

Gotta love hard-headed fans "Nirvana kinda made a big joke out of all of the bands from the 80's" (Any Motley Crue,Gnr,..etc fan)- "Oh yeah, well Kurt Cobain shot himself".

Look I dont own any nirvana albums, period. But I do own every gnr album, and I remember it quite clearly (as does every mass media outlet) that nirvana made a joke of big budget bands from the 80's. It is a fact.

Trust me when people try to diss gnr/axl I always have the side of guns, but I can never deny that Nirvana made axl look like a joke at the vma's, and kurt had a huge backing against axl, more so than axl did against kurt.

Also- Nirvana NEVER saw gnr as a "threat", if you watch any documentary on nirvana Kurt says (and those around him say) he NEVER wanted nirvana to be as big as they were, and he was very disturbed by it. Kurt didn't give a shit about any bands from the 80's, he just hated people who he thought were "bullies"...and at the time he brought up the point that Axl was a woman beating homophobe. He never put himself in a race with gnr, Axl had his time as leader, then Kurt took the spot.

Edited by ronartest2004