Best Van Halen album

Towelie

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wait, no option for Van Halen III? How you could leave out a masterpiece like that? "How Many Say I" is one of the finest moments on any Van Halen album.

Alright, enough with the unfunny sarcasm. I voted Van Halen I of course. Can't go wrong with any Diamond Dave album though!

My favorite Sammy album is probably F.U.C.K though the others have their moments.

Pretty much a 5-way tie between the first 5 albums with me. 1984 is a hair lesser of an album than the first five I think. Maybe Diver Down is, too, because of the abundance of the over abundance of covers, but they really own those covers I think.

But I voted Women and Children First.

Can't chose between the first 4. All fuckin' masterpieces. Diver Down awesome, too, but just barely a cut below the other 4.

VH II was an impossibly great follow up to the debut...Women & Children First just a crazy record, with some huge highlights...and Fair Warning has some of their very best heavy material.

As said, impossible to choose.. :thumbsup:

Van Halen I is just a great rock album. "Eruption" is a masterpiece and the album never slows from there. Pure adrenaline. 1984 is great too. The use of synthesizers, while hugely popular at the time, was a bold move for a band that was known for blistering guitar solos.

I can't believe no votes for any of the Sammy albums. They really aren't that bad.

Soem of them aren't that bad, but none of them are that good compared to the DLR stuff :thumbsup:

All the Dave albums are worth buying.

Except for Women and Children, Diver Down and Fair Warning.

1,2 and 1984 are good though.

Not a Fair Warning fan? Surprising!

I don't hate it. I just wouldn't pay for it. But Mean Street and Unchained do raise the album's karma.

Edited by moreblack

Fair Warning. Probably their most experimental album with DLR, IMO. I don't count the keyboards in 1984 as anything experimental. But FW has some insane tunes. Hear About It Later, Push Comes to Shove, Mean Street, Sunday Afternoon in the Park. Some really good shit on there.

But really, they're all good with DLR.

All the Dave albums are worth buying.

Except for Women and Children, Diver Down and Fair Warning.

1,2 and 1984 are good though.

Not a Fair Warning fan? Surprising!

I don't hate it. I just wouldn't pay for it. But Mean Street and Unchained do raise the album's karma.

Dude, Hear About It Later makes it worth it alone.

Van Halen I is just a great rock album. "Eruption" is a masterpiece and the album never slows from there. Pure adrenaline. 1984 is great too. The use of synthesizers, while hugely popular at the time, was a bold move for a band that was known for blistering guitar solos.

I can't believe no votes for any of the Sammy albums. They really aren't that bad.

Soem of them aren't that bad, but none of them are that good compared to the DLR stuff :thumbsup:

strongly disagree, and I'm a dlr fan.

I've only heard 5150, and I loved it. Every song is damn catchy. I didn't vote, though. I figured this poll would help me pick which album to pick up, since my dad wants to take me to a Van Halen concert to make up for selling my GN'R tickets, you know, HIS favorite band to make up for missing out on one of mine. I see his logic.

Anyway, looks like I should start with VH1.

I've only heard 5150, and I loved it. Every song is damn catchy. I didn't vote, though. I figured this poll would help me pick which album to pick up, since my dad wants to take me to a Van Halen concert to make up for selling my GN'R tickets, you know, HIS favorite band to make up for missing out on one of mine. I see his logic.

Anyway, looks like I should start with VH1.

Start there. It's fast paced, high energy and just plain awesome. Even though it's hard rock it has sort of a punk quality in that it's short and really in your face, if that makes sense. The whole album can be listened to in like 20 minutes, but that's part of the charm. I can only imagine how much it must have changed lives back in 1978.