Do you think Axl might be better off actually going to the induction ceremony?

Bobbo

What would say something is if the people that were disappointed in Axl stopped buying tickets. But all of us, and Axl, know that isn't going to happen, so what does he have to lose. If the people that wanted a reunion stopped supporting Axl, that would say something because he'd be losing money. But he pisses people off and people keep coming back for more.

A large portion of the GNR fanbase already stopped buying tickets, they already stopped coming back for more. Axl is arguably the greatest frontman of all time, the leader of one of the greatest bands of all time, and he's playing to half empty venues with crowds hovering around 3-7K despite not having toured the US in 5 years. Why do you think that is?

Yeah if he blows off the induction WE will keep coming back for more, but a portion of the remaining fans that stuck around this long probably won't.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a new Guns fan, the most important thing for me personally, is that nothing gets in the way of what Axl is trying to do with the current line up.

The top priority is the future of this band, which I think is with Gn'R as it is right now, only releasing more music.

As an old Guns fan, I hope Axl will show up for the induction, but make it clear that this is a one time deal, with no reunion past april 14.

It would be nice if it happens, but it's not important enough or valuble enough as an event for me to want to risk anything new Guns can do which I think is more then what a real reunion with the old members can accomplish.

Axl burying the hatchet with Slash, having a cool, polite induction day and moving forward with new Guns with no bad blood between any of the gunners will be ideal for me.

To be clear: I really hope Axl shows up to the ceremony, provided it won't change any plans he's got with the current line up.

Edited by Rovim

As far as I see it if Axl doesn't show it'll be the same-old thing: "Axl's a big baby who likes to ruin it for every one", blah blah blah. Same old shit the media has be running for more than a decade. Honestly is anyone actually expecting him to go?

And say he does go he has to be in the presence of people that (rightly) would make him uncomfortable like Slash, journalists and as someone pointed out previously, probably Azoff. Face it, its bound to be awkward with visible tension mounting. The press will likely pick up on this and blow it out of proportion. Other things the media could potentially criticize are: his looks in conjunction to the other guys, performance, new band mates, etc. And that is if things go well! God forbid something pisses him off and he does/says something unfortunate... just watch the snowball roll then...

Of course, the ideal situation would be if they all turned up and played a set without things getting awkward, but that's HIGHLY unlikely.

And anyway, why are we all pinning this on Axl turning up or not? Its just as likely that Slash makes himself "busy" during rock hall as well. Isn't he launching off into a tour with Myles soon (some dates already set in March)? Plus he's stated that he hasn't confirmed if he's going or not. And what about Izzy? Where the hell is he nowadays anyway?! It might turn out to be another Van Halen thing for all we know.

I'm going to set the bar low and expect only Steven and Matt to turn up (maybe Duff). That is all.

<_<

Edited by KiraMPD

As a new Guns fan, the most important thing for me personally, is that nothing gets in the way of what Axl is trying to do with the current line up.

The top priority is the future of this band, which I think is with Gn'R as it is right now, only releasing more music.

As an old Guns fan, I hope Axl will show up for the induction, but make it clear that this is a one time deal, with no reunion past april 14.

It would be nice if it happens, but it's not important enough or valuble enough as an event for me to want to risk anything new Guns can do which I think is more then what a real reunion with the old members can accomplish.

Axl burying the hatchet with Slash, having a cool, polite induction day and moving forward with new Guns with no bad blood between any of the gunners will be ideal for me.

To be clear: I really hope Axl shows up to the ceremony, provided it won't change any plans he's got with the current line up.

Rarely do I agree this much with anything I read. Thank you for expressing my thoughts so clearly.

Edited by SoulMonster

They should do it for the fans. It's not me, not you, but millions of persons all over the world. There are millions of people that never had the chance of seeing these guys together in a concert but they worship the old and original band like they'd worship their God, I don't know. We're not asking too much, we don't need a reunion tour, we don't need them to reunite so they can make a record together, the chemistry and the magic died back in 1989, we all understand that but they need to get along for one fuckin' night and at least play a song together. I said it before but I think 'November Rain' would be perfect. Axl on the piano and Slash at the other side with his guitar, they don't even have to see each other, 9-minute long song and that's it, go home.

I think we all agree that the main problem here is Axl but I feel he has started to care about his fans and the people that is around him, so I don't know. I'd say he'll show up, 65% sure. He can take this opportunity to shut everybody up :shrugs: and I don't think this will work against him or the new members. They know what they are and it'd be really fuckin' stupid to think that just because the original members perform one night together for the fuckin' sake of the band they all created, they'll reunite. It hasn't happened before when it could have, it's not gonna happen now. Let's put the whole thing to rest. One night, one performance. :shrugs:

I just think you look at the times when bands didn't come together at the Rock Hall, and the fans are always left disappointed.

To not go because you don't get along with one person, I guarantee there's going to be a few other people there he doesn't like that weren't a part of the band, music critics, former managers, record company guys.

I hadn't seen that quote from Jarmo. I think it really makes a lot of sense for the situation.

I would personally love to see the old band play 2-3 songs together at the ceremony. But I just don't see it happening with the way Axl is so stubborn. I will be really disappointed if he no-shows, though. There is no reason 5 guys that are all pushing 50 years old can't walk up on stage together, shake hands, and enjoy the honor of being selected. Even if they don't play together.

I hadn't seen that quote from Jarmo. I think it really makes a lot of sense for the situation.

I would personally love to see the old band play 2-3 songs together at the ceremony. But I just don't see it happening with the way Axl is so stubborn. I will be really disappointed if he no-shows, though. There is no reason 5 guys that are all pushing 50 years old can't walk up on stage together, shake hands, and enjoy the honor of being selected. Even if they don't play together.

This!

Not all bands bury the hatchet, they just put the differences aside and avoid some things about the past. It shouldn't get in the way of what GNR has planned in coming years. It's a few hours with old friends celebrating music history, which is just as important as being able to move forward creatively and continue to create and build a body of work. The more new music they do, the less AFD songs live, and just save those for the encores. But what's kind of interesting is that as many songs on UYI, they do very few from it.

The OP said the reunion demand would still happen regardless of what happens. I disagree. It would increase in such an extension that it would really take even more the focus out of the new band.

Of course, Axl should have a proper band behavior in the 1st place: have nice group photos, aknowledging the current band members on the official site with bios and stuff for people actually get to know them.

Still, a one night reunion would make people demand for just a small tour, then a new album and so on. If Axl really wants to move foward with the new band and have 100% faith on them, he should NOT perform anything with the old guys at all. I just don't know if he indeed is a believer.

As far as I see it if Axl doesn't show it'll be the same-old thing: "Axl's a big baby who likes to ruin it for every one", blah blah blah. Same old shit the media has be running for more than a decade. Honestly is anyone actually expecting him to go?

And say he does go he has to be in the presence of people that (rightly) would make him uncomfortable like Slash, journalists and as someone pointed out previously, probably Azoff. Face it, its bound to be awkward with visible tension mounting. The press will likely pick up on this and blow it out of proportion. Other things the media could potentially criticize are: his looks in conjunction to the other guys, performance, new band mates, etc. And that is if things go well! God forbid something pisses him off and he does/says something unfortunate... just watch the snowball roll then...

Of course, the ideal situation would be if they all turned up and played a set without things getting awkward, but that's HIGHLY unlikely.

And anyway, why are we all pinning this on Axl turning up or not? Its just as likely that Slash makes himself "busy" during rock hall as well. Isn't he launching off into a tour with Myles soon (some dates already set in March)? Plus he's stated that he hasn't confirmed if he's going or not. And what about Izzy? Where the hell is he nowadays anyway?! It might turn out to be another Van Halen thing for all we know.

I'm going to set the bar low and expect only Steven and Matt to turn up (maybe Duff). That is all.

<_<

Agree 100%.

What is 'nu"? Sounds like some animal...

I hope Axl boycotts the whole thing if Saul and Steven show up

If Saul could have his way, I'm sure he'd rather be performing with the Black Eyed Peas anyway.

:rofl-lol:

You guys can be fucking tools. Stop spoiling this for those who care :fuckyou:

To me, if Brian Wilson and Mike Love can get in a recording studio after all the problems they've had, anything's possible. I think the Jann Wenner country club aspect about it is bullshit, but the induction ceremony seems to be a good time for those who go. Not all bands play together at the Rock Hall. Black Sabbath didn't, and they're embarking on a new CD and tour. VH didn't even attend, but they still embarked on a tour and worked on new music.

It might be the only time we'd ever get to see something like Dylan and Axl do KOHD together, or McCartney & Axl do Live and Let Die.

Edited by dalsh327

The OP said the reunion demand would still happen regardless of what happens. I disagree. It would increase in such an extension that it would really take even more the focus out of the new band.

Of course, Axl should have a proper band behavior in the 1st place: have nice group photos, aknowledging the current band members on the official site with bios and stuff for people actually get to know them.

Still, a one night reunion would make people demand for just a small tour, then a new album and so on. If Axl really wants to move foward with the new band and have 100% faith on them, he should NOT perform anything with the old guys at all. I just don't know if he indeed is a believer.

Its nice that you agree with my post but just to make things clear with regards to OP and your post, I do think Axl should go to the ceremony and perform with old lineup (and the new band, if only to hold one finger up in front of every one). #

Yes it will be (VERY)awkward but if he can get through it with his head held high, then nothing could be better. Haters will always hate and the media will run the same shit regardless, he shouldn't let that get to him. It's his moment too godamnit and he should enjoy it, fuck everyone else.

I understand why he (possibly) wouldn't want to go though so I won't hold it against him if he doesn't.

That is all.

Edited by KiraMPD

One of the main arguments against Axl NOT attending the induction ceremony, let alone performing a song or two with the old band for old time's sake is that "it will kill what he's trying to accomplish with the nu band".

Ehh...idk if I buy into that, as I really believe not attending will do more harm than good. Take a look at comments at GNR outside these forums. Such as articles about GNR on Blabbermouth. The general outlook on the nu band isn't that strong anyways. Love it or hate it, people and the media will always want the people who helped Axl make GNR what it is back in the band. It will never change, regardless if he attends or not. You will always get the "this isn't GNR" comments. And the worry can easily be calmed if Axl communicated with the fanbase and assured them that this is a one night thing for a special occasion.

However, if everybody who's inducted show up except Axl and Dizzy, it's gonna make Axl look like a whiny bitter shitbird (as portrayed by the media of course, which will then snowball out of control). Seriously. The backlash and criticism he would get for it would be so much worse than if he actually let go of what happened in 1996, and threw the fans a bone for one night.

Just my opinion on it. What's yours?

I thought the only thing Axl was attempting in 2012, was to keep the name Guns N'Roses going. That's his choice.

In theory there should be no problem accepting an award.

Sure the award is for past efforts. Axl, Slash, Duff, Adler continue to perform Guns N'Roses songs from that era.

Its nice that you agree with my post but just to make things clear with regards to OP and your post, I do think Axl should go to the ceremony and perform with old lineup (and the new band, if only to hold one finger up in front of every one). #

Yes it will be (VERY)awkward but if he can get through it with his head held high, then nothing could be better. Haters will always hate and the media will run the same shit regardless, he shouldn't let that get to him. It's his moment too godamnit and he should enjoy it, fuck everyone else.

I understand why he (possibly) wouldn't want to go though so I won't hold it against him if he doesn't.

That is all.

I understand, but I dont think he likes all of this. As far as I know, he told more than once that he aknowledge how fans consider this RNRHOF as some big deal, but he doesn't seem as excited.

One of the main arguments against Axl NOT attending the induction ceremony, let alone performing a song or two with the old band for old time's sake is that "it will kill what he's trying to accomplish with the nu band".

Ehh...idk if I buy into that, as I really believe not attending will do more harm than good. Take a look at comments at GNR outside these forums. Such as articles about GNR on Blabbermouth. The general outlook on the nu band isn't that strong anyways. Love it or hate it, people and the media will always want the people who helped Axl make GNR what it is back in the band. It will never change, regardless if he attends or not. You will always get the "this isn't GNR" comments. And the worry can easily be calmed if Axl communicated with the fanbase and assured them that this is a one night thing for a special occasion.

However, if everybody who's inducted show up except Axl and Dizzy, it's gonna make Axl look like a whiny bitter shitbird (as portrayed by the media of course, which will then snowball out of control). Seriously. The backlash and criticism he would get for it would be so much worse than if he actually let go of what happened in 1996, and threw the fans a bone for one night.

Just my opinion on it. What's yours?

I think Axl going to the ceremony only helps him. Not going will only hurt whatever he's trying to do. IMO reunion rumors will be around no matter what. Being there will only bring more media attention to the band and if Axl is there maybe the media will be a bit nicer and give the new band some compliments. I think perception is all the old guys are sitting around desperately wanting to be in GNR and besides Adler I dont think that is true. Slash and Duff have their own careers and Izzy I'm not sure would ever commit to it. In the end I feel no matter what current plans are in place there is no reason to not celebrate past successes. They made history and hopefully will be able to celebrate that history together

I understand, but I dont think he likes all of this. As far as I know, he told more than once that he aknowledge how fans consider this RNRHOF as some big deal, but he doesn't seem as excited.

Slash and Duff don't either but that should not take away from the fact that this is recognition of their work and that's always a good thing.

when will you ever learn. in almost all these threads it is always the same... and axl already told you how it works.

You like to have me, jump and be good, but I don't want to do it

You don't know why I won't act the way you think I should

You don't know why I won't give in

To hell with the pressure I'm not caving in

explains it all...

What is 'nu"? Sounds like some animal...

I hope Axl boycotts the whole thing if Saul and Steven show up

If Saul could have his way, I'm sure he'd rather be performing with the Black Eyed Peas anyway.

:rofl-lol:

Yes, and I'm sure if GNR doesn't work out for Bumble and Fortus, they can go back to playing with Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, and NSYNC! :thumbsup:

So ya done with that nonsense now?

Just stop the silly bickering,nothing decided on this forum will affect the outcome.

GNR will be inducted,whatever the situation involving the RRHOF.

I really don't understand the Axl haters, the arguments came from both sides - not just him. :fuckyou:

It must be awkward for anyone inducted to be together with old friends turned foes - I just hope for the sake of the ceremony they can accept the award, make it clear they will not get together again & maybe those that want can perform with other artists like I've seen clips of in the past.

Axl's been in the press with the USA tour, he has seemed much happier & relaxed than when he was younger & those that criticise will do so regardless. Ignore them & show them some dignity whichever way he chooses to do it. Lets face it, if they did a survey of the audience you most likely would find that more than half are there at concerts to mainly see him. :D