Favorite New GN'R linup?

Georgy Zhukov

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 year later...

06 for me

They had an unparalleled industrial trash glam virtuosity. Axl sounded renewed and raspy. As far as live performance goes, they were probably the tightest, most cohesive lineup in the annuls of GNR. The guitarists each had their own individual style and they complimented each other well. The new stuff sounded fresh and vital and they put their own personal imprint on the old stuff without losing the core spirit. I think of the 06 lineup (w/Brain) as Bonds steroid era on steroids (steroids on steroids)...with a shot of HGH and deer antler spray added in for good measure.

Edited by Mr. Dude

Current hands down, they sound great live which, I couldn't say that about the 02 line-up and they were getting there with the 06 line-up. I think this new line up is the best since the illusions line up (not as good obviously, but a good 2nd best).

Current band because their tight as fook, play the parts well for the most part (I'm looking at you DJ, pull those socks up boy!) they play well off each other and it sounds like a band - even if none of the guys really hang with each other spare a few.

Why isn't 2001 on that list? Paul Huge, ftw

Paul's writing contributions on Chinese were definitely important, I have to give the "live" edge to Richard, as he's a more technically proficient player and has a more Stonesy vibe to him.

I saw them in Chicago, and the 2002 lineup was a Mammoth to behold onstage. They also sold tickets too.

Edited by sofine11

Why isn't 2001 on that list? Paul Huge, ftw

Paul's writing contributions on Chinese were definitely important, I have to give the "live" edge to Richard, as he's a more technically proficient player and has a more Stonesy vibe to him.

I saw them in Chicago, and the 2002 lineup was a Mammoth to behold onstage. They also sold tickets too.

that's fair. I'd still love to see '01 lineup someday though

2002. I feel like the current lineup is the most stable, but the 2002 lineup had a mysterious and magical feel to it. I always say this, but it was a freakshow... but that made it interesting. You had Cornrow and Jersey Axl, Buckethead, Half bald and skin tight suit wearing Robin, Pitman, and the always drunk looking Tommy Stinson, in addition to Dizzy, Brain, and Fortus. They had a magic feel and a great sound. I even liked the Jerseys.... It was a good way to interact with the audience by wearing something from there city. I wish this line up stayed together and released music together. I still think The Blues from that time period had potential to be a hit song. That lineup got a bad rap from the VMAs though because of axl's voice. Not to mention during this time axl was intent on making CD the greatest album ever....

I think Axl's voice was great in 2006... But I feel like he would be out of place in the 2002 lineup. I think if the 2006 lineup was on the VMAs, they would've been more well recieved... But they lost the magic. Axl still had ambition, but the band was just another band.

You're forgetting the 98/99 lineup... Robin, Josh Freese, Tommy Stinson, Chris Pitman, Dizzy, and Paul Tobias.

Edited by liers