OFFICIAL Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Thread-First post vid

Birk

Oh come on. Abba and Madonna may not be very relevant or trendy right now but no one with any knowledge of music history can deny that they have been very influential and have inspired generations of artists globally, as well as selling shitloads of music.

But they are not "Rock N' Roll"

I agree, but that wasn't why people reacted to Madonna and ABBA being inducted...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They care.

You guys are just making a big fucking deal out of it, it's pathetic.

Wow what an honor, we're being inducted waaaay after Madonna.

MADONNA

Really, Madonna? And ABBA?

Geez.

GNR are inducted first time up... Madonna recorded in '82, and was up twice. I don't see how that's "waaaay" after.

ABBA, at least they had some rock songs. It's when Leonard Cohen's inducted as a performer that puzzles me. Absolutely as a songwriter. I'm fine with Tom Waits in, he has rock songs. Neil Diamond has rock songs. But Cohen and Joni Mitchell? Madonna has a handful of rock songs, but I guess on influencing women, she's in but Benatar isn't? Kate Bush isn't?

Laura Nyro made sense to me being inducted because I could find Patti Smith, Tori Amos, and even Joni had been influenced by Laura.

I think most artists from the 50s and 60s have been inducted, except the Monkees (Davy Jones death may change that) & Moody Blues (Howard Stern talking to committee member Steve Van Zandt may change that). But a lot of bands from the 70s and 80s aren't in, esp. in prog rock, punk rock and metal, which has been minimal. Todd Rundgren isn't in as a performer or producer, and that makes no sense. The NY Dolls aren't in, Television isn't in, KISS and Rush aren't in, UFO aren't in, Scorpions, Priest, and Maiden aren't in, "bitchtits" Meat Loaf isn't in,Yes & ELP aren't in, King Crimson aren't in. Genesis got in because Peter Gabriel's going to be inducted at some point. REO Speedwagon and Styx aren't in, Ted Nugent isn't in. Roy Harper, Bert Jansch or Richard Thompson are mostly folk guys, but they're def. influential in rock.

I always knew and understood rap artists being inducted, but where's the funk groups outside of P-Funk and Sly Stone? James is in, Prince is in, that's about it.

It is and isn't a big deal. It's supposed to be about recognizing bands and artists for a body of work that made a difference in people's lives, whether it was because it caused them to be better songwriters, start a band up, or because millions of people loved them. The people who are lost and forgotten for a song they wrote 50 years ago, they're the ones that should be getting inducted. All you need is one single to make the difference in people's lives, or one solo that thousands of kids try to struggle and figure out for hours, or a type of singing that others wound up taking for themselves.

But what does an award mean anyway? Does it legitimize what someone does for a living, or is it throwaway? I mean, what's prestigious about an AVN award or a Moonman?

Let's just hope GNR show up, play, and can open the door for working together in the future. Not a lot of people get the award, it is what it is, and it's better to be talked about than not at all.

So everyone has someone to induct them...but GnR. :lol:

God damn the black cloud that hangs over these guys. :shrugs:

Personally,I think Alice Cooper would be a great choice,even it's supposed to be someone who was inspired by them.

Alice just got these guys from the get go...totally got it.

They recorded Under My Wheels together,Alice performed on The Garden.

Slash says in The Decline of Western Civilization:The Metal Years.."when all else fails,I can always throw this on "..and he holds up a copy of Welcome To My Nightmare.

I don't think any member of GnR would have a problem with it being Alice.In fact,I think they would be humbled and honoured.

It took him a long time to get inducted. I know he was humbled by the ceremony, but def. felt slighted by being passed over for years.

And let's not forget Madonna choosing Iggy Pop played a big hand in the Stooges getting inducted. I guarantee she went "Iggy's not in the rock hall??" and made the call herself. The point got across to the committee, and they were in the running the next couple of years. There was some documentary from a couple of albums ago where she's hanging with him at a festival concert.

Any number of rock legends would be happy to induct GNR.

Holy crap this place could use a truckload of Prozac, why so many doom and gloomers putting a negative spin on every tiny bit of news? Classic GNR was a group of guys that NEVER planned anything out ahead of time, so why do you think they would plan ahead for the induction? Seems like many of you are trying to make them out to be something they are not. I for one am GLAD that the inductees don't know what will happen, the last thing I would want is for them to do something scripted. For those that weren't around back in the day, it was GNR's spontaneity and unpredictableness that made them one of the most exciting rock bands of all time.

Two things we need to remember: They don't need more than a couple days to come together and agree on what they will try to do, and they are not obligated to reveal their intentions to us ahead of time. Personally I'd rather be surprised, the coolest performances I've witnessed were unexpected.

Billboard said the presenter for GNR is being finalized and will be announced soon, so let's calm the fuck down and wait for the announcement. Obviously the guys have been working with each other to line one up, for all we know they are waiting for confirmation from the potential presenter that they are willing and able to do it.

As for Ashba and the current band, why the fuck would Axl talk to anybody other than Dizzy about the induction? It has nothing to do with them, and it ain't cool to talk about plans for an event you're invited to with people who aren't invited.

Exactly.

That's an argument that has been going on since the place's inception. It really should be called the "Rock, Rap and Pop Music Hall of Fame".

Donna Summer

Neil Diamond

Eric B & Rakim

Rufus with Chaka Kahn

Run DMC

Madonna

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

Michael Jackson

Paul Simon

Those are all nominees or inductees off the top of my head, none of which makes sense to me as "rock" hall of famers.

Oh come on. Abba and Madonna may not be very relevant or trendy right now but no one with any knowledge of music history can deny that they have been very influential and have inspired generations of artists globally, as well as selling shitloads of music.

The "Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame" is more the "Music Hall of Fame." All styles of music are in it.

What, is there going to be a Pop Hall of Fame, a Hip Hop Hall of Fame, a Blue Hall of Fame, a Folk Hall of Fame, a Heavy Metal Hall of Fame?

The "Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame" is more the "Music Hall of Fame." All styles of music are in it.

What, is there going to be a Pop Hall of Fame, a Hip Hop Hall of Fame, a Blue Hall of Fame, a Folk Hall of Fame, a Heavy Metal Hall of Fame?

Songwriters Hall of Fame is pretty diverse. I saw it televised once, and liked how they did it. Pink covered "Me and Bobby McGee" and got a standing ovation, that was when all the rumors about her playing Janis started coming out.

So would you be content with the end jam and axl comes out and sings with them? Cause thats all we might get, dont get me wrong though, they could be really cool and last minute get excited and say fuck it lets give them one song for old times.....we still dont know

It's just so disappointing to be a GNR fan when shit like this happens.

Nah, I am a GN'R fan and I disagree. I couldn't care less about them organizing anything for HOF, in fact, I am not sure I want them to perform anything at all. I do want them to graciously accept the award and say some nice things, but I see no reason why that needs to be rehearsed or organized in any way. In fact, I would find it a bit un-GN'R if they did anything that wasn't spontaneous.

Axl is already a laughing stock to all the common rock fans who say Slash is GNR, it's just Axl's band now, etc. and the fact that they can't even get on the same page and put their shit aside for one night FOR THE FANS that made them more than anyone else is embarrassing.

Supposedly they are all attending the ceremony. Isn't that enough? Do you insist on them burying their hatchets and performing as well? Simply speaking: They don't owe you that.

They don't owe anybody anything, which is kind of the problem here and the point I'm trying to make. Why do they have to "owe" the fans something to be able to be cordial with each other for one day? They can't just do it for the sake of doing it as artists that are supposed to live, breathe and respect rock n' roll and together created some of the best music ever? If you want to say they owe it to anybody, I think they owe it to themselves more than abybody else.

I never said they need to bury the hatchet. I'm not saying Axl needs to go up there, hug Slash and start planning a reunion tour or anything. It would just be nice to see them go through the motions for one night even if they all go back to hating each other and don't talk again for another ten years as soon as the ceremony is over.

No but there is a Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame. The majoirty are rock bands and they should have kept it that way. I would lump Blues, Folk, Metal, Classic Rock, Hard Rock all in with Rock N' Roll. Hip Hop , Rap and Pop are a different art form.

Let me just say that I am a fan of the new band, but I also think it would be super cool if for one night the old members got together and played a couple songs at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. So here's my question ... Assuming they all show up to accept their awards ... What would happen if the audience started chanting "Just one song!" It would be a public relations nightmare (in my opinion) if they didn't oblige. That's all most people want to see, just one more song. Then everyone could get on with their lives and continue to support Axl and the awesome band that is the new Guns N Roses.

So would you be content with the end jam and axl comes out and sings with them? Cause thats all we might get, dont get me wrong though, they could be really cool and last minute get excited and say fuck it lets give them one song for old times.....we still dont know

anything can happen, no matter what slash said

it'll depend on the mood they're in

Let me just say that I am a fan of the new band, but I also think it would be super cool if for one night the old members got together and played a couple songs at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. So here's my question ... Assuming they all show up to accept their awards ... What would happen if the audience started chanting "Just one song!" It would be a public relations nightmare (in my opinion) if they didn't oblige. That's all most people want to see, just one more song. Then everyone could get on with their lives and continue to support Axl and the awesome band that is the new Guns N Roses.

Why perpetuate this idea of the old members getting together to perform again? They are indicating it's not going to happen, they have said NO, yet people still persist in so many of the forums I read. dry.gif

When are people going to finally put this topic to rest, or is this going to still be the topic of discussions when they are in their 90s & hobbling around in walking frames? It really does get so frustrating when people can't take "NO" for an answer.....:angry:

anything can happen, no matter what slash said

it'll depend on the mood they're in

I wouldnt count anything out

You're expecting a band that didn't play together in 17 years to simply go onstage, wihout rehearsing or something, and do a killer perfomance? Just because people in there are demanding it? That would be a disaster :rofl-lol:

If they wanna play there, they gotta play together again to get the chemistry back. A "surprise" show like this would only result in mass lol.

I am a musician. Just recently I played a show with someone who I hadn't jammed with in 11 years. It wasn't difficult at all .... and we played for four hours. I am positive they could pull off one song. It's not like they haven't all played these songs in twenty years.