"10 Essential GN'R Songs"

The Real McCoy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I think. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a whole does not make sense.

Same here, im not from the USA so I havent grown up on the sports hall of fame etc. So when I hear the rock and roll hall of fame I picture a vast room where every legendary rockstar who ever lived sits on a plinth. When a new person gets allowed in they all gather round and congratulate them on being famous enough to be allowed into the sacred hall.

Except they exclude sub genres like Prog rock and metal. They favor pop stars and rappers. GN'R getting inducted their first year is very unusual, which can only mean they were hoping to get a reunion and sell more tickets.

Except they exclude sub genres like Prog rock and metal. They favor pop stars and rappers. GN'R getting inducted their first year is very unusual, which can only mean they were hoping to get a reunion and sell more tickets.

I've listened to and read enough from the committee members that this was the case, but not so much now. Wenner had talked about wanting the criteria to be 20 years. It never happened.

It's come out that this isn't the case anymore, it was Wenner, Dave Marsh, and a woman who was on the committee that were trying to get more commercial acts on the list so they'd have more people tuning in.

It's going to be on HBO - tuning in is irrelevant because it's pretaped.

Wenner's no longer the head of the RRHOF, Springsteen's manager is. Rap and hip hop being inducted - keep in mind this is a consensus, not any boycott to keep KISS out, it's just when they start looking through names, certain ones are chosen over others. KISS was on the list, but the voters just decided to go with other acts.

I do think it's possible the committee put them in first time up for political reasons, but I just think they saw the name and most of the people just decided that they should be in the running, because of what happened in the late 80s. I also think there's favoritism - Slash has some friends in the committee, Springsteen sang with Axl at a past induction, GNR's been on RS a bunch of times, and most of the critics are current or former writers, including Jon Landau, Springsteen's manager.

The RRHOF is really more to recognize Laura Nyro or Wanda Jackson, people who get forgotten in time that made some sort of impact in music. There's a bunch of bands not in - Styx, REO Speedwagon, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Dire Straits, Rush, etc.. some bands you would assume were in but aren't.

Estranged has to be on that list. Take out "Live and Let Die" since they didn't even right it.

*write

But yeah. I never really liked that song, McCartney's or otherwise. Estranged would work, or if they insisted on a cover KOHD.

For sure. LALD is a great song live, but shouldn't make the top 10 "essential" GnR songs. And if any cover, KOHD, no doubt.

And nice to see "Better" get recognition. B)

Edited by WhatsHerface

how can they say Better is an essential GNR song then not induct the CD lineup that recorded it?

Unlike the misinformation the reunionists like to spread; the hof means absolutely nothing.

I will be the first to admit that the former band belongs there if it did, but it doesn't.

Just take a look at the jokes that are in there and you'll see what I mean.

Axl should treat it like the joke that it is. The worst that can happen is the same people will whine about the same things they were whining about before it took place.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Coma over let and let die

Agreed! Also- Mr Brownstone over UTLH.

Good to see a new song in there, I'd have gone: Better, If the World or Street of Dreams....

Anyway- these lists are usually record company sponsored ads- GH made Top 3 Billboard 100 recently- must be looking to bolster flagging sales with HOF induction round the corner.

how can they say Better is an essential GNR song then not induct the CD lineup that recorded it?

Unlike the misinformation the reunionists like to spread; the hof means absolutely nothing.

I will be the first to admit that the former band belongs there if it did, but it doesn't.

Just take a look at the jokes that are in there and you'll see what I mean.

Axl should treat it like the joke that it is. The worst that can happen is the same people will whine about the same things they were whining about before it took place.

Yes,and I will be glad when It's over :(

Get rid of Used to Love Her, Live and Let Die & Better for Estranged, Coma/Don't Cry (pick one) and TWAT as the token nu-GN'R mention. TWAT definitely ranks among the creme de la creme of the old band. If I had a hat on I'd take it off to Bucket for that outro.