Guns N' Roses ban fans from wearing Slash t-shirts to their UK gigs

Zint

I most likely think it's a venue thing to prevent any trouble, based on Axl's past behaviors.

That being said, this is something that should be addressed, obvious public knowledge, especially now with all these news sites reporting on it. Something Axl and his "yes men" should tell the venue staff not to do it anymore. Ignorance is no longer an excuse unless Axl and friends are literally living under a rock. And if the head honcho himself requests something directly, I'm sure the venue would comply, especially since I think all this is to make him at ease in the first place.

And I still say people that dress up as Slash are just paying homage to the man, and nothing more. He is the most popular member alongside Axl, and his contributions are still all over most of what they play live. Most don't care or are aware of the intense soap opera bullshit still going on between the two, so I highly doubt it's an attempt solely to enrage Axl. It's simply paying tribute to a man who has earned his wings.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never asked for anyone's shirt bein' thrown out of anywhere

Funny he has a long memory of everything bad Slash says against him but forgets saying this - even when there is footage to prove it. Unless it was his twin brother :rolleyes:

If you're referring to RIR 3, I think your interpretation of what happened is not necessarily correct. I think, based on the footage, he asked for the guy to be thrown out and THEN asked for his shirt. Not that he threw the guy out because of his shirt.

Ali

True Ali, I did read that this guy was taunting him & being a pain for a while which is likely the main reason he was outed. We never actually did get to see the shirt but I guess people around him gave that description.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I've never asked for anyone's shirt bein' thrown out of anywhere

Funny he has a long memory of everything bad Slash says against him but forgets saying this - even when there is footage to prove it. Unless it was his twin brother :rolleyes:

If you're referring to RIR 3, I think your interpretation of what happened is not necessarily correct. I think, based on the footage, he asked for the guy to be thrown out and THEN asked for his shirt. Not that he threw the guy out because of his shirt.

Ali

True Ali, I did read that this guy was taunting him & being a pain for a while which is likely the main reason he was outed. We never actually did get to see the shirt but I guess people around him gave that description.

I find it funny how out of all people in the crowd, where everyone was screaming non stop, Axl was able to hear what this guy was screaming. lol...

And I still say people that dress up as Slash are just paying homage to the man, and nothing more. He is the most popular member alongside Axl, and his contributions are still all over most of what they play live. Most don't care or are aware of the intense soap opera bullshit still going on between the two, so I highly doubt it's an attempt solely to enrage Axl. It's simply paying tribute to a man who has earned his wings.

i think it's really hard to forum regulars to see the world through any other prism. i think they genuinely assume that anyone who likes paradise city spends their lives engaged in the same rabid arguments about the new band, feuds between members, and whether or not axl's voice was better in 2010 or 2012.

these are the limits of our world. not the world.

I still believe Axl. With all the people around here proclaiming that Axl is surrounded by yes-men, where are they now to point out that it could indeed be those very same "yes-men" who are giving these orders unbeknownst to Axl?

Maybe some behind-the-scenes peeps issued that order because they know that there are cupcakes out there who WILL wear those shirts to piss Axl off. Although I loved it in Rio 01 when Axl timed it just right and kicked the guy out during It's So Easy. But others would argue it hampered the song. So maybe Axl's management is looking out for the people who just want a good show by preventing possible distracting cupcakes from entering. Sounds far fetched, but wouldn't you agree that sometimes truth is stranger than fiction?

If Axl's people are doing this without his knowledge they are doing him a great injustice. Sooner or later this t-shirt crap is going to bite somebody in the GNR organization in the ass. That somebody will be Axl, because he is the head of the organization not one of the ass kissers around him. And sooner might be coming, now one of the concert goers that was forced to remove his t-shirt has a face and a story. It's just a matter of time before one of these wronged people gets the idea for a lawsuit. Maybe the "no Slash t-shirt and top hat policy" should be printed on the tickets to prevent a lawsuit.

i think it's really hard to forum regulars to see the world through any other prism. i think they genuinely assume that anyone who likes paradise city spends their lives engaged in the same rabid arguments about the new band, feuds between members, and whether or not axl's voice was better in 2010 or 2012.

Agree with you both completely.

What some people here fail to realize is that it's not only forum members who go to these shows. While most people in the real world probably know by now that Slash is no longer in the band, they don't waste their free time following the drama.

I also don't believe security who works for these venues follow the drama either. These guys work all sorts of events, not just Guns shows. There's no reason whatsoever to think they would choose to make up random rules for one particular band unless they were specifically told to do so by someone who represents that band.

I said it right here last time this was a hot topic.

Instead of his immature rant on Madison, he could have said, "For the record, if you want to wear a Slash shirt at my show, go for it."

That is ALL he had to say.

IF it is someone from his camp talking to security, Axl needs to tell them to stop.

It is ancient history but it is pretty sad how Madison was treated for reporting a story that appears to be true.

I couldnt agree more... handled the situation in a very immature way

Maybe it's the promoters who think Slash shirts = riot.

This is what I always thought.

I always kicked around two theories prior to hearing myself in person.

1) It just wasn't true. One of those urban legends that got made up, carried on, added to and wouldn't go away.

2) That promoters or someone outside of GN'R heard about it and thought it would be a good idea

But again, I heard it for myself at HoB in Chicago earlier this year. Those of us at the very front (both Gold and Silver VIP) were in two small groups waiting to get let in. A security guy from HoB went into the venue and came out with a list of things he was told be Guns N' Roses management to announce. One of them was most definitely "No Slash shirts, you either have to change or turn the shirt inside out".

I cannot stress enough that I would never, EVER have believed this if I hadn't seen/heard it for myself.

This has hit yahoo's main news feed where you scroll through the top 50 or whatever stories.

http://music.yahoo.c...-213123025.html

Well, that much-hoped-for Guns N' Roses reunion keeps seeming more and more unlikely. After Axl Rose, the band's lone remaining original member, sat out GNR's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April (and was booed by ceremony attendees in absentia), he's made it even more clear that he has no plans to make nice with his former bandmate, guitarist Slash. Because apparently not only is Slash not welcome at any GNR gigs, but neither are Slash T-shirts.

According to British music magazine NME, a fan at GNR's May 31 concert at London's O2 Arena, who showed up a wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the top-hatted likeness of Axl's nemesis, was forced by security to remove his shirt at the door. The concertgoer, 18-year-old James Revell, grudgingly abided and entered the venue bare-chested.

When NME asked O2's security if there was in fact an official ban on Slash shirts, the answer was: "We were told by the management not to allow anyone into the O2 Arena who is wearing a Slash T-shirt, and we are asking anyone who is to remove it and if they refuse they will be turned away."

Revell told NME: "I believe they asked me to do this because Axl Rose has some problem with Slash and if he saw me wearing the shirt he might have stormed offstage." However, O2 security stated that this ban applied even to audience members sitting in the very back rows of the 20,000-capacity venue, who could not possibly have been spotted by Axl from the arena's stage.

Said Revell: "I felt very angry because I was looking after my little brother at the time, and felt as though my freedom to wear what I want had been taken away from me. However, I did not react angrily, as I didn't want to spoil the show for him."

He added: "I have never experienced anything as insulting as that at a concert before and I had to sit there in my little brother's jumper [sweater] and wait for Axl to turn up well over an hour late, which we could only stay to watch three songs as we had to catch a train back. I think that Axl Rose doesn't appreciate his fans or anyone for that matter, he needs to grow up and stop acting like a child."

No word yet on whether Velvet Revolver, Izzy Stradlin & The Ju Ju Hounds, Adler's Appetite, Gilby Clarke, or Buckethead tees are allowed at Guns N' Roses shows--but just to be safe, if you attend a GNR gig any time soon, you may want to bring a change of clothing with you.

Kind of funny that they put Izzy Stradlin on there suggested list of what not to wear considering he was there playing with the band that night!!!!

That's the media for ya!!

Edited by bigcountry

Instead of his immature rant on Madison, he could have said, "For the record, if you want to wear a Slash shirt at my show, go for it."

IF it is someone from his camp talking to security, Axl needs to tell them to stop.

It is ancient history but it is pretty sad how Madison was treated for reporting a story that appears to be true.

The story appears not to be true, according to some posters that saw people with slash shirts at some shows.

And that rant was epic, she got what she deserved IMO

I couldnt agree more... handled the situation in a very immature way

As far as I know he was mad because Madison was reporting that it came from him or his camp, no?

I don't buy into the excuse that venues and the promoters are the one's engendering this paranoia. As far as I know, Axl never started a riot or left because someone was wearing a Slash t-shirt. If they were afraid of this then they would ban camera phones and beer bottles. Like others have said before, the news of this has been avoided by GN'R's camp and it appears to be more than a coincidence.

Axl would also get his ass sued if the left for such a pathetic reason. He can't say that he feared for his safety because someone was wearing a shirt.

That being said, can people wear these shirts to the venue?

300.jpg607b31972f5eb28ec80414f66621.jpgholet-shirt-courtneylove_1_111940_navy_l.jpg

So basically you are not allowed to wear a Slash t-shirt, but the band is allowed to play his riffs, his songs, and his solos note for note every night? Man this is twisted...

You are allowed to wear Slash t-shirts to the vast majority of the shows. Some venues/promoters discourage it for whatever reason.

Since Slash left the band, GNR has not played any songs that Slash co-wrote that Axl did not co-write as well.

However, on Slash's recent solo tours, he has played multiple GNR songs that Axl co-wrote that Slash did not co-write.

I find that to be far more twisted than some venues choosing to have Slash shirts turned inside out.

How is that twisted? Clapton plays "White Room" and a bunch of Cream songs he didn't write, Hagar sings classic VH with Mike.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Agree with you both completely.

What some people here fail to realize is that it's not only forum members who go to these shows. While most people in the real world probably know by now that Slash is no longer in the band, they don't waste their free time following the drama.

I also don't believe security who works for these venues follow the drama either. These guys work all sorts of events, not just Guns shows. There's no reason whatsoever to think they would choose to make up random rules for one particular band unless they were specifically told to do so by someone who represents that band.

Agreeing with you as always.

However, on Slash's recent solo tours, he has played multiple GNR songs that Axl co-wrote that Slash did not co-write.

I find that to be far more twisted than some venues choosing to have Slash shirts turned inside out.

MSL, did Axl issue you an edict:

"Though shalt cupcake upon my enemies or I will finally get around to legally grilling you for what you did last year".

I really don't get your motivation here.

So basically you are not allowed to wear a Slash t-shirt, but the band is allowed to play his riffs, his songs, and his solos note for note every night? Man this is twisted...

You are allowed to wear Slash t-shirts to the vast majority of the shows. Some venues/promoters discourage it for whatever reason.

Since Slash left the band, GNR has not played any songs that Slash co-wrote that Axl did not co-write as well.

I won't go into who wrote what etc (for instance Axl for me wrote zero music for AFD) as it is a whole other point.

That said there is nothing twisted about playing someone else's songs.

What is twisted is playing songs, riffs , solos that were written by someone else who is the lead guitarists of the lineup that made GNR big, and then banning people even wearing his t-shirts. This is schizophrenic.

Slash has not expressed such loathing reg. everything that has to do with Axl. Axl has even suggested that Slash's playing is boring and that he is untalented. Slash respects Axl as a singer and artist and has not said negative stuff about Axl as a singer-performer.

Edited by izzydoezit

Axl would also get his ass sued if the left for such a pathetic reason. He can't say that he feared for his safety because someone was wearing a shirt.

Why would he be sued? What is the cause of action?

First, the UK has no written constitution so there is no 1st amendment argument like in the US.

Second, and most importantly, even if you argued it was against some freedom of expressions law in the UK it would not be applicable. Freedom of Expression only is usable in areas of public property. The venues are private and when you buy your ticket you agree to follow the rules and regulations of the property owner.

MSL, did Axl issue you an edict:

"Though shalt cupcake upon my enemies or I will finally get around to legally grilling you for what you did last year".

I really don't get your motivation here.

Did you not read the epic thread MSL participated in where he bragged about how he comes here to "play" us all and that he had a team of cupcakes using his account to stir the shit?

His motivation is to see how long he can string you along like, as he called it, like a "dancing monkey".....

Anyone who wastes his/her time arguing with him deserves to be played..........

Why would he be sued? What is the cause of action?

First, the UK has no written constitution so there is no 1st amendment argument like in the US.

Second, and most importantly, even if you argued it was against some freedom of expressions law in the UK it would not be applicable. Freedom of Expression only is usable in areas of public property. The venues are private and when you buy your ticket you agree to follow the rules and regulations of the property owner.

I think you misunderstood what I was leaning at. You think the concertgoers wanting refunds and the concert promoters having to lose money on the event wouldn't sue for damages?

Edited by grigori

Did you not read the epic thread MSL participated in where he bragged about how he comes here to "play" us all and that he had a team of cupcakes using his account to stir the shit?

His motivation is to see how long he can string you along like, as he called it, like a "dancing monkey".....

Anyone who wastes his/her time arguing with him deserves to be played..........

Yeah but you'd have to be crazy or have way too much time on your hands to do that. I don't really see anyone doing that for extended periods of time for any logical reason.

Edited by grigori