Downsides to a Live BluRay release?

Chris1989

I think every fan of the current lineup would love to get a Live DVD/BluRay, and we know that Guns have been filming the shows for the majority of the past 2 years.

I can't help but wonder why Axl doesn't want to give a 'face' to this current lineup - people complained about the lacking of a full band photo, and how the lineup needs an identity - surely this is the ideal opportunity to say "Love or hate, this is Guns N Roses, the show is fucking epic so check us out'

Only things I can think of are:

Axl wants to keep touring, and without new material people might say "got the DVD, don't need go see them for the 4th time"?

The lineup isn't as settled as we think, and band members aren't long term plans?

Axl as a perfectionist doesn't want to release the footage because the comments on his voice have been negative for quite a few shows?

Thoughts?

(if only to end the shite on the main page currently)

Axl wants to keep touring, and without new material people might say "got the DVD, don't need go see them for the 4th time"?

I don´t agree, well, at least the way I see it is that when you like a band you don´t get tired of seeing them live, the more times the better imo.

Axl as a perfectionist doesn't want to release the footage because the comments on his voice have been negative for quite a few shows?

I don´t think the voice is a problem, I´m not any kind of expert but I think they can do a lot of things with technology in order to clear the sound and to improve it. I think a lot of bands do that.

I don´t agree, well, at least the way I see it is that when you like a band you don´t get tired of seeing them live, the more times the better imo.

I don´t think the voice is a problem, I´m not any kind of expert but I think they can do a lot of things with technology in order to clear the sound and to improve it. I think a lot of bands do that.

That means expense and time to release the product, if the money is made by touring, the profit on a Live DVD might mean this project is a non-starter?

The o2 show being released is full HD.

However I dont think it will be released as they didnt play and encore and axl stopped november rain.

was the O2 gig any good ?

Given the O2 is pretty big, the mainstream press tend to report on it often. There was no mention of GN'R ?

it would be expensive to produce, and would only appeal to a small portion of gnr's audience. there simply aren't too many people who would be fired up about a live DVD of the non-hall-of-famers.

NuGuns may have limited audience at this point but Slash put out the Stoke show on DVD and, as much as I love him, he has a pretty limited audience at this point so it is doable..............

it would be expensive to produce, and would only appeal to a small portion of gnr's audience. there simply aren't too many people who would be fired up about a live DVD of the non-hall-of-famers.

Where's the big expense? Justin Bieber's 3D movie cost 13 million, Michael Jackson's "This Is It" for 10, the rights sold for 50 mil, made 200 plus back. Anything on digital video isn't going to be as much to make, same cameras used for any live concert. The only difference is they might fix some of the audio or some minor reedits.

Guest Broskirose

The only downside I can think of is that Ashba would be on it. And you just fucking know that he played to the camera all night. Like a 6 year old being filmed *Look at me! Look at me!

Edited by Broskirose

There's no reason we shouldn't have a live DVD by now. If the band was really close to releasing any new material anytime soon a live DVD/CD would be a great thing to put out to hold the fans over and keep things with the band relevant. GNR's marketing team can't be so stupid to the point where they don't realize this. This has to be a band/Axl thing, IMO, because VH1 even said they tried to get the rights to televise the Ritz show either on live or tape delay back in February and GNR said no. I truly don't understand why they wouldn't be open to it. I thought if we were ever going to get a DVD/CD set it was going to be of that show, so now I'm positive we won't get anything.

There are no downsides to a blu-ray release.

This is untrue.

I'm all for releasing content to nourish (and build) your fanbase but every industry has discernibly proved the inferiority of physical content distribution.

From a basic business perspective, there's the problem of (1) HDTV/bluray adoption rate and (2) High overhead/cost with physical releases.

The future is digital distribution, prudently marrying free-to-play with lower cost digital content.

And then, as HRS so cynically pointed out, the initial amount of demand and interest in that product/brand anyway.

II think that is a reason. Once the blu ray comes out people may not bother going to see the show. So maybe once this whole thing is done n dusted then we get a memento.

But YouTube is really covering this pretty well. I'm still so 90s and want a plastic box to polish.

II think that is a reason. Once the blu ray comes out people may not bother going to see the show. So maybe once this whole thing is done n dusted then we get a memento.

But YouTube is really covering this pretty well. I'm still so 90s and want a plastic box to polish.

For once, can't they just do something cool like this for the fans to enjoy??

Fuck Youtube and their tiny, bad quality videos. I want a DVD and I want it NOW!

tumblr_lxt5tjB9Tf1qd8nujo1_500.gif

Edited by Towelie

Of course I want it like old school. I want a DVD to memorize. A definitive show chosen by the band that defines the era from 09 on.

But I dont know the numbers. The could like don't bother we'll just lose money.

Which show is the best quality wise? Or would be better to pick great performances and make it like a tour diary.

If they had Some kind of monster type making of CD with highlights of all the tours and shenanigans over the last decade that would probably get I Max showings.

For once, can't they just do something cool like this for the fans to enjoy??

Fuck Youtube and their tiny, bad quality videos. I want a DVD and I want it NOW!

tumblr_lxt5tjB9Tf1qd8nujo1_500.gif

DVD quality sucks. Blu-Ray all the way

Watching any concert on home video's no comparison to being at the show, but it's good to have it documented and enjoyed in the future. Now that it's not a big deal to record and do video of concerts, it's not in the way as much, unless they're using a film crew like for the 3D movies. Realistically, you could have any band put a Blu Ray of a show out in 2 weeks if the show went off without a hitch. But when they do 3-4 days of a show and everyone's wearing the same clothes, then it takes more time sifting through best performances, or taking audio from one night and putting it into another.

I think GNR should release something compiling all the Chinese Democracy songs live from over the years and do it in album order.