The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

I was kind of hoping this 'reboot' series would've led directly to the events of Dr. No...:(

Like, the reboot series showing Bond's early years and how he came to be the suave killer we got by Dr. No: a veteran killer who now has little issue with his trade, self medicates, and can even jokingly quip about it.

Actually, when one thinks about it, the Bond played by Connery and Moore is much more sociopathic. The guy actually at times enjoyed his job. He might've self medicated to function by being basically a functioning alcoholic, but he loved getting his quips in.

I never noticed it until the other night when watching it, but Connery looks bloated in You Only Live Twice. Not physically, but he's got a double chin and his face looks all saggy and bloated. He aged so much in the 3 years between Goldfinger and YOLT.

YOLT-c2-jbw007.jpg

still-of-sean-connery-and-donald-pleasen

Dark-Blue-Suit-2.jpg

Edited by Dr. Who

I think Octopussy may just be Moore's best film. He seemed really into the role. Maybe it was because Connery was doing the role for another studio. Or maybe he finally had a leading lady he did not have as much as an age difference with. I think he played it like it was his last role as Bond.

Now only two actors have ever made it to film five in their tenure. Connery with You Only Live Twice and Moore with For Your Eyes Only. I can say Moore was a lot more into Bond in his fifth film than Connery. Connery was done with James Bond by You Only Live Twice, he wanted to do other films. He came back for Diamonds on condition he uses the funds to build an art school in Scotland, to civilize the Scots and he took on Never Say Never Again because his career tanked in the 70's and no one wanted to hire him. After that he went on to win an Oscar for the Untouchables.

Moore on the other hand, went on to do 7 films. He had a lot of fun except embarrassed when he had to do love scenes with women young enough to be his daughter. Or tried not to throw up with Grace...the fuck was her name...

Brosnan only did four films. He seemed to be enjoying himself and Dalton got screwed over. Craig seems enthusiastic about his fourth film, we will have to wait another 5 years or so for film five if he ever does.

Fuck MGM

• Like 1

I read the spoilers. Youch. Sounds... pretty awful.

P5, did you read this comment on /r/jamesbond (don't think it counts as spoilers since this has all been ditched apparently):

"This stuff that's leaking is from the first draft or an early revised draft that tried to salvage John Logan's horrifically bad screenplay.

Those revisions did not work because it was that bad. It did not work, Purvis and Wade have pretty much re-written the entire screenplay from the ground up. The finale is completely different that what is portrayed in the first draft that we have been reading about.

If you want to get an idea of how bad and off point Logan's script was, he had Blofeld as an African war lord. Ejiofor was originally in negotiations for this role. When Blofeld's background changed in the script revisions they wanted to cast him in the role now played by Scott. However, as a concession to SONY over the budget, they did not cast him at all because the salary was too high.

The first draft is atrocious. And that's mostly what we are reading about right now."

I read the spoilers. Youch. Sounds... pretty awful.

P5, did you read this comment on /r/jamesbond (don't think it counts as spoilers since this has all been ditched apparently):

"This stuff that's leaking is from the first draft or an early revised draft that tried to salvage John Logan's horrifically bad screenplay.

Those revisions did not work because it was that bad. It did not work, Purvis and Wade have pretty much re-written the entire screenplay from the ground up. The finale is completely different that what is portrayed in the first draft that we have been reading about.

If you want to get an idea of how bad and off point Logan's script was, he had Blofeld as an African war lord. Ejiofor was originally in negotiations for this role. When Blofeld's background changed in the script revisions they wanted to cast him in the role now played by Scott. However, as a concession to SONY over the budget, they did not cast him at all because the salary was too high.

The first draft is atrocious. And that's mostly what we are reading about right now."

No, didn't see that. Who posted it? They seem to be an insider. Also, is that a confirmation that Scott is playing Blofeld? Interesting they'd be allowed to say that in the case that they are an insider, especially given that Blofeld's presence hasn't been officially confirmed yet.

Also, had to delete your link to the Lea Seydoux lesbo scene. With us trying to get back in bed with Adsense, we really can't allow links like that right now, even if they're marked NSFW ;)

No, didn't see that. Who posted it? They seem to be an insider. Also, is that a confirmation that Scott is playing Blofeld? Interesting they'd be allowed to say that in the case that they are an insider, especially given that Blofeld's presence hasn't been officially confirmed yet.

No, Scott is playing someone else (I won't spoil it, it's a new character), they're saying that after Chiwetel wasn't going to be African Warlord Blofeld, they wanted to offer him this new part instead, but because his fee was too high they just gave that part to Scott.

Also, had to delete your link to the Lea Seydoux lesbo scene. With us trying to get back in bed with Adsense, we really can't allow links like that right now, even if they're marked NSFW ;)

I hope you at least bookmarked the link before deleting it ;)

No, Scott is playing someone else (I won't spoil it, it's a new character), they're saying that after Chiwetel wasn't going to be African Warlord Blofeld, they wanted to offer him this new part instead, but because his fee was too high they just gave that part to Scott.

I hope you at least bookmarked the link before deleting it ;)

:popcorn:

• Like 1

They could easily make changes to the script while in production, but if this is that draft that they had issues with a while ago, it's kind of amusing that they're considering it a "leak".

I would bring back "Fuck MGM" and add "Sony & North Korea"

Edited by dalsh327

Diamonds Are Forever vs. A View to a Kill vs. Die Another Day: Which is the worst Bond swan song?

Die Another Day. Diamonds Are Forever and A View To A Kill might suck, but at least they're entertaining. Once the first half hour is up, there are literally no redeeming qualities of Die Another Day.

Diamonds Are Forever vs. A View to a Kill vs. Die Another Day: Which is the worst Bond swan song?

Die Another Day. Diamonds Are Forever and A View To A Kill might suck, but at least they're entertaining. Once the first half hour is up, there are literally no redeeming qualities of Die Another Day.

Rosamund Pike.

Rosamund Pike.

Couldn't even redeem that film.

Rosamund Pike.

Couldn't even redeem that film.

I had a blast watching it in the cinema. From laughing at the random scene with Madonna, to bursting out in hysterics at the invisible Aston Martin, and losing it at the sight of Posh Robocop, it really was a so bad it was good film for me.