The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

The Bond series up to Craig pretty much is treated as it being the same timeline. You have references to the different stories and events throughout the series.

Craig is a reboot of the series. Whoever takes over can continue this timeline of events.

However that would not be possible with a black Bond.

This timeline has once again established the death of his parents, Bond being orphaned, his Scottish heritage etc

You can't just continue with a black actor and pretend its the same timeline. It would be absurd.

Which would mean another reboot, establishing all the same stuff again, (minus the Scottish heritage sorry but the canon heritage is not believable for a black Bond) and then what do you do after 4-5 movies? Cast another black guy and continue the timeline, reboot with a white actor,

The whole idea is nonsense.

I just think it'd be seen as nothing more than stunt casting. Even with a great actor like Elba people would be so focused on the fact that they cast a black actor as Bond that they'd forget that they're even watching a Bond film. I think the very casting would overshadow a terrific performance even if he proved to be the greatest Bond from an acting standpoint.

• Like 2

I watched Licence To Kill again last night. Goddamn, what a good film. Still prefer The Living Daylights, but LTK comes close. Don't understand how some people don't like that one.

I'm going against the grain here, but I actually like LTK more than TLD. I have a soft spot for LTK though, for whatever reason.

Both are great films and Dalton was a great, underrated Bond. I'm pretty sure we've said that a bunch in this thread, too! :lol:

The Bond series up to Craig pretty much is treated as it being the same timeline. You have references to the different stories and events throughout the series.

Craig is a reboot of the series. Whoever takes over can continue this timeline of events.

This timeline has once again established the death of his parents, Bond being orphaned, his Scottish heritage etc

You can't just continue with a black actor and pretend its the same timeline. It would be absurd.

Which would mean another reboot, establishing all the same stuff again, (minus the Scottish heritage sorry but the canon heritage is not believable for a black Bond) and then what do you do after 4-5 movies? Cast another black guy and continue the timeline, reboot with a white actor,

Just so you're aware, we do actually have black people in Scotland, and have done for at least 120 years... I'm totally in agreement with you on the continuity but that particular detail is not the biggest impossibility with the situation.

• Like 1

Just so you're aware, we do actually have black people in Scotland, and have done for at least 120 years... I'm totally in agreement with you on the continuity but that particular detail is not the biggest impossibility with the situation.

Yeah I know. I just think the canon bio is unlikely if the character is black. Not impossible these days but still, unlikely. Good writing shouldn't make the viewer think to themselves - "That sounds a bit off."

I just don't like fucking with established canon material.

I really think the next Bond will end up being somebody that we haven't even thought of yet. EON seems good with that kind of thing. Sure, I'd love to see Fassbender or Cavill given a shot but I can't help but feel it'll be another unexpected choice like Craig was. It'll also depend how long Craig is in the role. If the next two films end up as successful as Skyfall then I wouldn't be surprised if Sony persuaded them to hire him for a couple more. They originally wanted to sign him for up to seven anyways but I'm thinking the studio was afraid of dishing out a long term contract like that. Craig probably also didn't want to bite off more than he could chew. He's already talked about the physical toll the films take on him but that he'll do it as long as he can. Still, if he stays in shape he'll still be a believable Bond into his early fifties. At that point, Fassbender will be too old to start anyways.

• Like 1

I do not want to see a Bond in his fifties. Craig has one more in him and that's pushing it. He's 46 now so if they take 3 years until the next he'd be 49. If he steps down then Fassbender would be around 40-41. Perfect for taking up the role. EON would want to be nuts to offer it to anyone else including Idris Elba who would be around 45-46. Too old if they want to have a decent run at it.

Edited by Facekicker

I do not want to see a Bond in his fifties. Craig has one more in him and that's pushing it. He's 46 now so if they take 3 years until the next he'd be 49. If he steps down then Fassbender would be around 40-41. Perfect for taking up the role. EON would want to be nuts to offer it to anyone else including Idris Elba who would be around 45-46. Too old if they want to have a decent run at it.

I'd agree that the perfect age for Bond should be somewhere around 40, but if Sony were to snag Craig for one more film after Spectre's follow-up he would only be 51-52. I'd be fine with that. I wouldn't want him until he's 58 or anything but as long as he keeps his physicality up then aging works for the type of Bond he plays. The big problem with say Roger was that he was 58 playing a character whose supposed to be 40 or so. They didn't acknowledge his age. Craig's Bond, however, is aging and his development has been readily acknowledge throughout his films so far.

I do think Fassbender is a great choice and he's already aging better than Craig but going off of EON's history I think we'll see someone totally different.