KISS - Monster

Cosmo

So, for those who have had the opportunity to check Monster out, you know what I'm talking about: it's sonic boom meets revenge with an amazing production and mixing. Not a big fan of Revenge myself but this is Sonic Boom on steroids just like Gene said. In fact, Gene is amazing here. Paul's voice has matured perfectly (in studio) and both Tommy and Eric have much better songs than on Sonic Boom. KISS needs to release more albums before it's too late. They're on a roll. Haterz, give it a chance if there's an album that can get you into KISS, this might be the one. Best song? Too soon to call but Long Way Down, Freak and Back To The Stone Age seem like good candidates.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet non-diehard GNR fans care as much about CDII as most non diehard KISS fans care about this...

Not really, KISS actually releases new music so expectation is much smaller, plus, the average concert goer doesn't even know it isn't the original line-up

Sounds like a typical Kiss record: a piece of shit.

Love Guns is shit? Destroyer is shit? Rock N' Roll Over is shit? Creatures of the Night is shit? No way.

Okay, Unmasked and Dynasty are shit.

Anyways, Monster is a big step up from Sonic Boom. The production is bigger, the songwriting is better, and overall it just feels more refined. It's heavier than Sonic Boom which is good, and when Hell or Hallelujah got released right away I felt it was a stronger lead than Modern Day Delilah (which I liked). Paul has been hit or miss live the last couple of years, but here he's right on the money. I'm glad they decided to tune down. Smart move, and the songs actually benefit since it adds to the heaviness. I felt the same way when I saw them a couple weeks ago in regards to the old songs. The Gene songs especially (namely God of Thunder and War Machine) sounded extra heavy being a full step down instead of the usual half step tuning. They accepted their voices are aging and as a result, Monster doesn't suffer. I'd happily place it on par with (if not better than) Revenge.

I liked Sonic Boom. Solid retro hard rock with a raw production: exactly what Psycho Circus should have been but was not. There was one song which I considered Stanley at his best, i.e. 1970s Stanley, the Stanley who wrote Love Gun. That song is called 'Danger Us', a great song for those who haven't heard it. So yes, I will look forward to Monster.

I agree, they are on a roll so it would be good to see them put out a few more. Keep the same formula - meaty hard rock - and they cannot go wrong. Live, I cannot see them doing the whole make-up/circuis shows much longer though: too physical for chaps that age. Another tour, perhaps two, and then they should scale it down to a Revenge type thing - maybe retain the make-up though.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Monster a couple of days ago and I'm diggin' it. It didn't blow me away on the first listen like Sonic Boom did but it's grown on me with each listen. I especially dig the track "Wall of Sound." I think Gene's songs are stronger than Paul's this time out.

...but then, I'm a KISS fanboy. If you're not as fanatical as I am, then your mileage may vary.

I picked up Monster a couple of days ago and I'm diggin' it. It didn't blow me away on the first listen like Sonic Boom did but it's grown on me with each listen. I especially dig the track "Wall of Sound." I think Gene's songs are stronger than Paul's this time out.

...but then, I'm a KISS fanboy. If you're not as fanatical as I am, then your mileage may vary.

I agree. I think Gene wins this time around, his first time since Revenge. I think it's a stronger overall album than Sonic Boom, but there's songs I like a lot on both.

Best Paul songs for me are Hell or Hallelujah and Shout Mercy. Eat Your Heart Out, Wall of Sound, and Back to the Stone Age are all awesome work from Gene.

I don't think Tommy's song (Outta This World) is as strong as When Lightning Strikes from Sonic Boom. One of the weaker songs on the album. Eric's is awesome however, one of the best on the album.

Tommy's song (Outta This World)

Really?

They've got fake-Ace writing songs about "space"?

LAME!!! <_<

He co-wrote 9 out of the 12 songs on the album, and he didn't stick to strictly Ace licks for his solos this time around, so I'd say one song about space is passable. At least he's contributing his own stuff now.

In his defense, the make-up is definitely Paul and Gene's say (more Gene probably), namely because it means they can keep marketing new merchandise with the four original characters because it's still relevant to the band. I'm just glad he's finally been given a chance to do his own thing with the band musically. Before Sonic Boom he literally just had to be Ace. I always think of how things could have been if only they got Bruce back after the Farewell Tour and continued where they left off before the reunion. Oh well.

In his defense, the make-up is definitely Paul and Gene's say (more Gene probably)

He could have said "guys I'm not comfortable taking over Ace's persona. I find it disrespectful to the fans and as a liflelong fan myself. I can't do this to Ace or the persona he created".

namely because it means they can keep marketing new merchandise with the four original characters because it's still relevant to the band.

It's not relevant to the current line up, especially now that they have continued on to make new music.

They've created new characters before, they could have done so again.

Before Sonic Boom he literally just had to be Ace.

He didn't have to, he chose to.

It was fine in his tribute band days, but to take over Ace's persona in the actual band is disgraceful.

I always think of how things could have been if only they got Bruce back after the Farewell Tour and continued where they left off before the reunion. Oh well.

It would have fuckin' rocked, and it would have been the right thing to do.

They cashed in on the reunion hysteria, they should have then retired it with some pride and dignity and moved on.