BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is 'Just Too Much' - Feb. 7, 2013

bumblecool

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ron. At least we know what's going on. Close down those CDII threads guys!

Well, about that, it actually IS nice to at least know people shouldn't get their hopes up any time soon. It's not what we all hoped, but it's better than nothing.

Steve Mascord of Hot Metal recently conducted an interview with GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On singer Axl Rose's decision to skip GUNS N' ROSES' April 2012 induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame:

Thal: "Honestly, we tried to work it out with the Hall Of Fame to come up with something but they had it in their mind that it was their way or no way. So they wouldn't budge and they were just trying to force a situation that wasn't good for everybody. We wanted it to be good for everybody. So…

"A lot of people should be in there that aren't. DEEP PURPLE isn't in there. That's a fucking travesty…"

He's using the "Diamond Dave" excuse *L* . Maybe Diamond Dave didn't want to be VR frontman because he knew Ed would scrap the tour...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=68554

Joel Peresman, the Hall's president and CEO, said in a Saturday e-mail to the Los Angeles Times that Roth has told only part of the backstage story.

"The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is sorry that David Lee Roth will not attend this year's induction of VAN HALEN. We offered him opportunities to play and sing a VAN HALEN song of his choice with our House band, including his own guitar player or a song with VELVET REVOLVER and he refused those opportunities."

The Roth camp says that the only offer they had received before Friday was an invitation to perform "You Really Got Me" with VELVET REVOLVER. Roth balked in part because that song, off VAN HALEN's first album, was originally recorded by the KINKS and is not a "true" VAN HALEN song.

Roth wanted to do his trademark tune, "Jump", but that was a curveball for VELVET REVOLVER, apparently, with rehearsal time limitations

There's no reason to do a full album at once anymore. They should just release singles. Its not like its gonna sell well anyway.

Since when has the release of albums got to be dominated by sales? What about art? What about a belief in the long player to carry an artistic vision? What about actually having the balls to challange the fact that album sales are shit? Axl fan's excuse is merely, ''albums do not sell so Axl shouldn't release an album''. What a cowardly excuse.

Axl is perfectionist, he is never happy with the material...He didn't want to release chinese but was forced to do it cause he had deal with the record company..

Maybe they just can't do music together, could the answer be so simple?

To be honest, concert sales aren't that great anymore unless he is playing a big event or festival. In the US they are getting 3-to-5,000 people a show. I can't remember if it was 2010 or 2011 but they were like the 75th highest grossing tour, while Motley Crue was I think in the 30s.

The old band was selling out stadiums and breaking records. The current band isn't even breaking the top 50, playing weddings and vegas. Its show and he can do whatever he wants - and maybe this is what he wants. Just seems weird to keep the GnR name alive to do what he is doing.

Once in a while, Ron gives an interview where you can just sense that he's underlined pissed off. 90% of the time, he says the "right" thing and get's through the interview, but every once in a while he gives an interview like this where he lets loose.

That's what worries me about Ron, because if anyone was to leave GN'R next, my money would be on him, just because of him seeming to be getting closer and closer to the edge. I love Ron to bits, and would hate for him to go, but if interviews like this are anything to go by, he's getting damn close. :nervous:

Ron is now learning what Slash, Duff, Buckethead and Finck already found out. Axl has little interest in making music. If he wants to be artistic then he should quit. Otherwise he will end up like Tommy, toiling away for decades in the background and drinking lots of beer to pass the time.

The difference is that Slash still gets good paychecks for the GNR songs he wrote and played in, he still can make big money from his touring, whereas BBF probably cannot make even a fraction of what he makes now being an employee of nuGNR. So he will complain and complai but he will stay there.

well the part about touring alot is true and it looks like this year GNR will be busy touring again.

It took David Bowie ten years to release a new cd and I don't think he toured much during those years either, yet his fans downloaded his new video thousands of time when it was put on his website.

Bowie has also said he won't tour anymore, so I guess we GNR fans should be grateful that Axl still wants to tour.

I guess Bowie's fans are more patient than other fans.

Sorry for the double post but it wasn't posting at all at first.

well the part about touring alot is true and it looks like this year GNR will be busy touring again.

It took David Bowie ten years to release a new cd and I don't think he toured much during those years either, yet his fans downloaded his new video thousands of time when it was put on his website.

Bowie has also said he won't tour anymore, so I guess we GNR fans should be grateful that Axl still wants to tour.

I guess Bowie's fans are more patient than other fans.

Sorry for the double post but it wasn't posting at all at first.

Bowie released more than 15 albums. His career consisted of 30 years of touring. That's not the case here...

It was delusional to think Axl would agree to a coerced reunion for the sake of a trivial accolade after years of opposition to such an idea. The fact is the whole situation warranted compromise, if the HOF were serious about getting Axl to attend there should have been a clear indication that the HOF were trying to accomodate those who aren't associated with Velvet Revolver. Instead, the HOF opted to alienate everybody else. Axl owns the GN'R franchise and opts to continue the line-ups, so a request to separately perform from former members of the band is reasonable.