Re-Evaluating Rock In Rio 2011

rocknroll41

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when it was first announced they were playing at Rock In Rio. I was excited. Would we get new music? Would we get a new album? Would something interesting happen? Is this the platform that Axl's going to use to move New GN'R forward?

Than it was announced it was going to be on Youtube and I was even more excited. I sat up until midnight waiting for the show to start. And, it was the most disappointing show I have ever seen. Axl Rose (who's voice was awesome for the last 5 years) sound's like it's 2002 again. He's obviously unprepared and seemingly sat on his ass for the last 10 months. He's forgetting lyrics and being his usual unprofessional self. It was disappointing and downright embarrassing. This is the man that sounded fantastic on the 2009/2010 tour. The one who seemingly cared about making new music and moving this band forward. The only surprise we got was a 20 year old song that 2 out of the 8 members of the band helped write.

This and the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame show really changed my perception on Axl Rose. Before I thought he wanted to show the world that his band means something and he doesn't need Slash to be famous. But, after Rock In Rio it showed me how unprofessional and clearly uninspired he is as it pertains to his band today. And, even though I agreed with his decision to not appear at the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, the fact that he continue's to basically front a cover band makes me wish he did show up at the RNRHOF. If he has no intentions to move this band forward, than he might as well get back together with the real deal while his vocal's are somewhat there.

The Neil Young show didn't help either.

And seriously, Axl's my favorite musician today. I wish he would put out more music and be more of a musical artist instead of a novelty. I wish he put his talents (and those in his band) out there in public for other's to see. I wish we could get his lyrics, his melodies, his stories. But, unfortunately he would rather play in the cover band and be ridiculed and made fun of by people in media. He could easily shut all those people up by proving them wrong. But, instead he continue's to not only prove them right, but give them more reason's to make fun of him. And it's a shame too, because he's such a great singer and lyricist, but instead of a trilogy of albums, we haven't got anything since Chinese Democracy was force-ably released in 2008.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

I remember when it was first announced they were playing at Rock In Rio. I was excited. Would we get new music? Would we get a new album? Would something interesting happen? Is this the platform that Axl's going to use to move New GN'R forward?

Than it was announced it was going to be on Youtube and I was even more excited. I sat up until midnight waiting for the show to start. And, it was the most disappointing show I have ever seen. Axl Rose (who's voice was awesome for the last 5 years) sound's like it's 2002 again. He's obviously unprepared and seemingly sat on his ass for the last 10 months. He's forgetting lyrics and being his usual unprofessional self. It was disappointing and downright embarrassing. This is the man that sounded fantastic on the 2009/2010 tour. The one who seemingly cared about making new music and moving this band forward. The only surprise we got was a 20 year old song that 2 out of the 8 members of the band helped write.

This and the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame show really changed my perception on Axl Rose. Before I thought he wanted to show the world that his band means something and he doesn't need Slash to be famous. But, after Rock In Rio it showed me how unprofessional and clearly uninspired he is as it pertains to his band today. And, even though I agreed with his decision to not appear at the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, the fact that he continue's to basically front a cover band makes me wish he did show up at the RNRHOF. If he has no intentions to move this band forward, than he might as well get back together with the real deal while his vocal's are somewhat there.

And seriously, Axl's my favorite musician today. I wish he would put out more music and be more of a musical artist instead of a novelty. I wish he put his talents (and those in his band) out there in public for other's to see. I wish we could get his lyrics, his melodies, his stories. But, unfortunately he would rather play in the cover band and be ridiculed and made fun of by people in media. He could easily shut all those people up by proving them wrong. But, instead he continue's to not only prove them right, but give them more reason's to make fun of him. And it's a shame too, because he's such a great singer and lyricist, but instead of a trilogy of albums, we haven't got anything since Chinese Democracy was force-ably released in 2008.

Love this post.

Spot on, GNR123GNR456. I remember with Taipei '09, there was all this mystique about what Axl would be like, and while it was a bit disappointing to see he'd put on weight (most of which he lost as tour went on), his voice was great (Taipei TIL is still my fave performance of that song). I wonder how much of his time from Abu Dhabi '10 to Rio '11 was spent on lawsuits. Wasn't the subsequent US Fall Tour '11 a result of having to settle with Azoff?

Excellent post with some fair points. I agree with everything you said.

I like sorry from that show, but that's about it. He didn't look too bad as he had just a bandana for most of the show.

He had bronchitis at the time though. When you're sick, you don't want to do anything, ESPECIALLY not talk, let alone sing. Add to that that is was raining and cold out, and he was probably under stress to do good.

Maybe I'm giving him too many excuses, but I didn't think it was truly that bad.

Excellent post with some fair points. I agree with everything you said.

I agree.

Axl has a chance with the next album IMO, but the longer it takes, the less interested the general media and population is going to care.

He needs to release an album of pure rock, practice, do some guest appearances, do some big shows, and stop hiding behind hats and jackets. That's the only way he has any chance of getting this band recognized for something other than a cover band.

the fact that he continue's to basically front a cover band makes me wish he did show up at the RNRHOF. If he has no intentions to move this band forward, than he might as well get back together with the real deal while his vocal's are somewhat there.

+1