Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Led Zeppelin II - 2LP (Still waiting for the 3LP I and 2LP III to show up around town)

Kiss - Carnival Of Souls

Are they going to do Houses of the Holy? I like that Zep album top to bottom. Picked up a used vinyl for 3 bucks a few months ago, it's nice to finally own it on vinyl. I'd love for them to do to that album what they're doing to the first few. Unless they announced it and I missed it in which case ignore that :book:

as for the KISS album, I own all of them except Monster (and i have 0 intention of ever getting it). The only ones that spark my interest from a vinyl perspective are Ace's solo album, Alive III, Revenge, Symphony Alive, Psycho Circus, and if they're doing it, Unplugged and Alive Millennium. Those are my most played KISS albums I don't own on vinyl, but if it comes down to it, i'll only get Ace, Alive III, Alive Millennium and Psycho Circus. eBay will be my buddy for a little bit :lol: i'm waiting for people to break up their KISS vinyl boxset.

Finally got around to building a badly needed extra table for LPs:

fvxl5v.jpg

first off, lookin' good Mr. TCB. Secondly, is that Core the MOV reissue? If so, I've got it as well, it sounds great and the laser etching on back of side 4 is cool. Well worth the price. MoV is a great company, and they're doing Blind Melon, which is something I need to pick up.

All the KISS albums you mentioned are being released or already have been released outside the box set. There are only a few exclusives to the box set, most being compilation albums. Though Alive IV (symphony) might be one of those, I forget. Revenge, paycho circus and unplugged are already out.

I think SC is 100% right on that; the ones he mentioned are already out and I do believe Alive IV is only in the Road Case thing.

FWIW, Carnival Of Souls and Revenge are the only ones I have from the new re-issues and they sound awesome. I have originals of Unplugged and Alive III so I didn't feel the need to buy the re-issues.

As for Zep, from what I hear Houses is coming by the end of the year along with IV and Physical Grafitti.

Yes, that's the MOV version of Core. I've got that, Purple and Tiny Music from MOV, all three sound fucking great. I'd heard they're doing Blind Melon as well which is good. My Blind Melon is from RSD a year or so ago. Not sure who issued it off the top of my head, but I do like the sound on it quite a bit.

I saw the price of some of the KISS rereleases in my local record store and :lol: The price has made up my mind: I only want Ace's album and Alive Millennium, and I'm strongly considering waiting to get Alive Millennium until it's thrown up on eBay for way cheaper. Great news from Zeppelin, and I wasn't aware MOV did Tiny Music. I'll have to look for that sometime, it's a great album. Incredibly underrated imo

I want to get into collecting but I seriously doubt I would ever listen to them. Just get a shelf to display.

There are certain vinyls I want that I know would look awesome on display.

I should probably get my shit together and get a job.

I want to get into collecting but I seriously doubt I would ever listen to them. Just get a shelf to display.

There are certain vinyls I want that I know would look awesome on display.

I should probably get my shit together and get a job.

i started out the same just wanting to display them, but the sound of the music on vinyl to me is superior to other formats, it just sounds so damn good.

Yes...yes....yes...HOLY SHIT.... YES:

What all is in there? just the vinyl and a bunch of posters?

A remastered CD of the album

A blu-ray audio of the album

A blu-ray video of songs from the album

A 7" single for Take It Back

A 7" single for High Hopes

A 10" single for High Hopes

A 2LP set of the album

Everything else is various art prints and what not.

It's an awesome set for just over $100

So I finally got some of my music Holy Grails, Humble Pie "Rockin the Fillmore Complete", Deep Purple "Made in Japan Complete", this past year and now I can check off another one as The Allman Brother "Live at the Fillmore East" is being released as a 6CD set and 4LP 200 gram box set. Ordered the 6CD set but most likely will get the vinyl set as well..........

http://www.amazon.com/1971-Fillmore-East-Recordings-Edition/dp/B00K3Q0T5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404243883&sr=8-1&keywords=The+1971+Fillmore+East+Recordings+%284lp+Edition%29

more details

http://www.musictap.net/2014/04/22/an-expansive-the-1971-fillmore-east-recordings-featuring-the-allman-brothers-band-to-arrive-in-july/

And here are the current entries in the poster contest...some very nice efforts IMHO............

https://creativeallies.com/contests/968-design-a-poster-for-the-allman-brothers-band/entries

Now if they would only release the four Jimi Hendrix "Band Of Gypsy's" complete 69/70 New Years Eve/ day live shows complete I would die a happy man.....

Edited by classicrawker

So I finally got some of my music Holy Grails, Humble Pie "Rockin the Fillmore Complete", Deep Purple "Made in Japan Complete", this past year and now I can check off another one as The Allman Brother "Live at the Fillmore East" is being released as a 6CD set and 4LP 200 gram box set. Ordered the 6CD set but most likely will get the vinyl set as well..........

http://www.amazon.com/1971-Fillmore-East-Recordings-Edition/dp/B00K3Q0T5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404243883&sr=8-1&keywords=The+1971+Fillmore+East+Recordings+%284lp+Edition%29

more details

http://www.musictap.net/2014/04/22/an-expansive-the-1971-fillmore-east-recordings-featuring-the-allman-brothers-band-to-arrive-in-july/

And here are the current entries in the poster contest...some very nice efforts IMHO............

https://creativeallies.com/contests/968-design-a-poster-for-the-allman-brothers-band/entries

Now if they would only release the four Jimi Hendrix "Band Of Gypsy's" complete 69/70 New Years Eve/ day live shows complete I would die a happy man.....

That's great, I'm glad you got some of you Grails! I have a note on my desktop labelled "Record Wish List" that I go back to every so often. When I've got some extra money, I'll usually bring up the list and poke around eBay and Discogs to see if I can get a deal on anything.

It's been a while since I found something off the list for a good price, but I'm trying to whittle the list down little by little anyway.

I saw the Blind Melon record at the record store, but it's over 30 dollars. Not sure if I want to spend that much on it. Does anyone here have the MOV version? If so, how is it?

Edit 2: Russ answered

Edited by usemyillusions

I saw the Blind Melon record at the record store, but it's over 30 dollars. Not sure if I want to spend that much on it. Does anyone here have the MOV version? If so, how is it?

I did some digging on this for you and forgot to report back, sorry about that.

What I've found is that most people say the RSD piece and the MOV version sound identical BUT the RSD release has extra tracks and you can still get it for a few dollars more:

http://www.discogs.com/marketplace?release_id=4493495&ev=rb

Sweet, made my edit unnneeded. Thanks man, I think that's the one I'm going to get. I've never ordered from Discogs before so there's a first for everything.

I've ordered a ton from Discogs. Feedback tends to be very accurate in my experience. When you see things like "Takes a long time to ship" or "Wasn't in the condition desribed" it's usually dead on. Stick to the good sellers and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Working from home most of the afternoon so I've been spinning vinyl. I started out with the reissue of The Division Bell because it's amazing, but then I switched to a bunch of records I haven't in a while.

So far I've busted out:

The Beatles-

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Let It Be

Talking Heads-

Stop Making Sense

Culture Club-

From Luxury To Hearache

Motley Crue-

Too Fast For Love

Let It Be and TFFL are the only ones listed I have. Never heard of Culture Club, but you've got great taste so its probably good. What songs or album(s) should I check out on YouTube?

Culture Club was/is a pop band from England. 90% of their heyday was in the 80s.

They've had a lot of top ten hits, some that are pop culture staples. If you really wanna check them out though, I'd tell you to take a slightly deeper dig.

I'm on mobile and can't post links right now, but check out the following tracks and let me know what you think:

Strange Voodoo

I Just Want To Be Loved

That's The Way

Time Clock of the Heart

The last one was a mild hit, but its my favorite of anything that's considered a hit by them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered some stuff from eBay, Amazon and Discogs over the past couple weeks and it's started showing up now.

I got the 45 for Immigrant Song due to Hey Hey What Can I Do being on the B-Side. I also grabbed the Modest Mouse album Good News For People Who Love Bad News off of Amazon for the cheapest I've ever seen it.

I'm still waiting on a couple 12" singles to show up that I ordered. One is Addicted To That Rush by Mr. Big and the other is I Just Want To Be Loved by Culture Club.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you ever bought vinyl at Urban Outfiters? Some people say you shouldn't buy there and some say you should.

Is there a difference to other stores? Are the vinyls there just as good as the vinyls at other stores?

I've bought a couple of their "exclusives" and never had a problem with them. A good reason to keep an eye on them is that they often cycle through their non-exclusives at crazy low clearance prices. For example, I got the 180g re-issue of Van Halen-1984 for $4.99 from them once.

Just purchased "Lonerism" by Tame Impala, but I have to wait until next week to hear it :(

I think I should be getting "Yellow House" by Grizzly Bear sometime next week as well. I am excited ^_^

I have a couple Tame Impala LPs, love their sound. I'm still missing Lonersim though. Let me know how it sounds when you get a chance!

Just purchased "Lonerism" by Tame Impala, but I have to wait until next week to hear it :(

I think I should be getting "Yellow House" by Grizzly Bear sometime next week as well. I am excited ^_^

I have a couple Tame Impala LPs, love their sound. I'm still missing Lonersim though. Let me know how it sounds when you get a chance!

Lonerism sounds great! I think my next purchase will be something classic. Maybe some Queen or Floyd?

Also I'm a little sad because my version of Shields (Grizzly Bear) skips on some songs. I bought it new, so that's really unfortunate :(

Edited by Crazyman