Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Ordered some stuff from musicdirect a while ago and accidentally clicked the option to ship it when everything was in stock. I totally forgot I'd placed and paid for the order a month ago or so since one of the albums was on back order at the time. Came home from being away for 5 days to find the box was delivered, what a pleasant surprise! I got:

Carole King-Tapestry (MFSL pressing)

Ted Nugent-Ted Nugent (Acoustic Sounds pressing)

The Raconteuers-Consolers of the Lonely

How said you break the stylus?

Short answer: being stupid. Lol.

I was talking to a friend and not looking directly at the tonearm but I went to grab it. I hit it instead of grabbing it and more or less slammed it down. Took the tip right off the stylus :/

It was around $200 just for the stylus, so needless to say, I'm hoping to not do that again.

Is anyone else selling any LPs?

I'm hoping to pull some more that I'm letting go of by the weekend.

I traded in about two thirds of what I listed here over the weekend (Basically, everything I don't think I could get some decent money for) - got $150 for maybe 40-50 records :) Seeing as I'm not as concerned about getting money as I am de-cluttering, I'm happy with that.

A record store near me is closing so everything is marked up and then discounted 40%. I picked up Led Zep 1 for $18 and Oceania for $8! I think Oceania was misprinted for $14.99 as it usually retails for around $30-$35. I wanted to grab Zep II but they only had the delux left in stock.

Has anyone here every had their own vinyls pressed? I've been wanting to make a few for my band, but not spend thousands of dollars. Nothing super fancy, it would just be a goal of mine to have my own music on vinyl.

I've never done it, but my buddy owns Solid Sound out in Ann Arbor. I'll hit him up and see what he says. My guess is it'll be a question of quantity, do you have any idea how many you'd like to get pressed?

Probably the least amount as possible, from what I've read their always seems to be a minimal amount. But if I could pick, I'd say 10~20 range would be enough. I'm not doing these to sell or to promote my band. I'm doing them for me, and I would give the rest of the band ones also, plus a few select fans. The lowest amount I've read online is for orders of 100. If thats as low as it goes, so be it I suppose. But 100 means 80 of them sitting in my basement.

Right on. I'll check for you and let you know what I hear back.

Also-

I've been reading a on of hype about the Beatles In Mono reissues from last week so I caved and bought Revolver today to check it out. A 4th pressing of it can't hurt, right? Haha.

I'm happy to report that the hype and reviews are true. This crushes every other pressing I've heard.

I went to a vinyl fair today and bought:

Metallica- Creeping Death EP

Jim Capaldi- Short Cut Draw Blood

Traffic- The Low Spark of High Helled Boys

Eric Clapton- Slowhand

I really wanted to buy Blind Faith album, but I didn't have enough money.

I've gotta get around to picking up Slowhand. I currently only have Time Piece and 24 Nights.

I went to a vinyl fair today and bought:

Metallica- Creeping Death EP

Jim Capaldi- Short Cut Draw Blood

Traffic- The Low Spark of High Helled Boys

Eric Clapton- Slowhand

I really wanted to buy Blind Faith album, but I didn't have enough money.

I've gotta get around to picking up Slowhand. I currently only have Time Piece and 24 Nights.

Do you like Cream? Clapton is great when playing with them