Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

I went to a vinyl fair today and bought:

Metallica- Creeping Death EP

Jim Capaldi- Short Cut Draw Blood

Traffic- The Low Spark of High Helled Boys

Eric Clapton- Slowhand

I really wanted to buy Blind Faith album, but I didn't have enough money.

I've gotta get around to picking up Slowhand. I currently only have Time Piece and 24 Nights.

Do you like Cream? Clapton is great when playing with them

I've got Strange Brew but that's it so far from Cream

I have a question for ya'll vinyl geeks here. Recently i bought the Led Zeppelin I album. Now i'm trying to find out what year it was released etc. The only thing i could find about it is this: http://www.storenvy.com/products/4480627-led-zeppelin-led-zeppelin Everything from the vinyl i own completes with the description on that page, except for the matrix code on the record. My record has the number 40031 A machine-stamped on the a side and K 40031 B machine-stamped on the b side. By this i want to ask if anyone of you can help me out to find out some more information about the year of release, number of pressing and if there is a possibility that this record could be a bootleg version. Thanx. ;)

I have a question for ya'll vinyl geeks here. Recently i bought the Led Zeppelin I album. Now i'm trying to find out what year it was released etc. The only thing i could find about it is this: http://www.storenvy.com/products/4480627-led-zeppelin-led-zeppelin Everything from the vinyl i own completes with the description on that page, except for the matrix code on the record. My record has the number 40031 A machine-stamped on the a side and K 40031 B machine-stamped on the b side. By this i want to ask if anyone of you can help me out to find out some more information about the year of release, number of pressing and if there is a possibility that this record could be a bootleg version. Thanx. ;)

This may not help much, but I always go to www.discogs.com for all info like that.

Very bad accident occurred to one of my most valuable Maiden records tonight. I'm cataloguing my whole record collection on Discogs, and as such having to go through and check the condition of every single disc. This particular record is a triple picture disc housed in a triple gatefold, with discs 2 and 3 sliding out towards each other. I was taking disc 2 out, when the inner sleeve got caught under a flap inside the gatefold. In trying to get it un-stuck from the flap, I created an approximately 3" tear on the spine (I say tear rather than split, because it starts at the edge of the spine) :( Fucking gutted, and already looking at replacement copies. I guess I should be thankful that the is the only serious mishap I've had with a record (Even though it was accidental), but I'm looking at about $150 plus shipping from Europe to get a replacement copy in comparable condition to mine before the tear.

Russ, you're more of an expert than I am I think. Realistically, how much do you think I'd be able to get selling this copy. I know the tear will mark it down significantly, but the records are NM and the sleeve was NM before the tear. Think I could get $50 for it still maybe?

Very bad accident occurred to one of my most valuable Maiden records tonight. I'm cataloguing my whole record collection on Discogs, and as such having to go through and check the condition of every single disc. This particular record is a triple picture disc housed in a triple gatefold, with discs 2 and 3 sliding out towards each other. I was taking disc 2 out, when the inner sleeve got caught under a flap inside the gatefold. In trying to get it un-stuck from the flap, I created an approximately 3" tear on the spine (I say tear rather than split, because it starts at the edge of the spine) :( Fucking gutted, and already looking at replacement copies. I guess I should be thankful that the is the only serious mishap I've had with a record (Even though it was accidental), but I'm looking at about $150 plus shipping from Europe to get a replacement copy in comparable condition to mine before the tear.

Russ, you're more of an expert than I am I think. Realistically, how much do you think I'd be able to get selling this copy. I know the tear will mark it down significantly, but the records are NM and the sleeve was NM before the tear. Think I could get $50 for it still maybe?

Is the sleeve itself unique to the set or is it one of those sort of generic clear plastic pic-disc sleeves? From your description, it sounds like the former is true. If it's unique to the set, I'd honestly say you're gonna need to knock off about $20 for a 3" tear.

Is the sleeve itself unique to the set or is it one of those sort of generic clear plastic pic-disc sleeves? From your description, it sounds like the former is true. If it's unique to the set, I'd honestly say you're gonna need to knock off about $20 for a 3" tear.

Yes, printed sleeve. Really, only $20 for a 3" tear? I would've thought a lot more. Maybe replacing it soon won't be so bad if I can still sell my current copy for a halfway decent price.

Yes, printed sleeve. Really, only $20 for a 3" tear? I would've thought a lot more. Maybe replacing it soon won't be so bad if I can still sell my current copy for a halfway decent price.

I bet it'll sell for only $20 less. A lot of people are like me and they'll jump on it for slightly cheaper just to listen to the album itself. I'd tell ya to post it for $20 but stress the tear in the description and post lots of pics. I'd say someone will bite.

Picked up the new Ryan Adams. Hope I like it. Going by other people's recommendations.

Let me know what you think please. I've heard it's great too, but I've never really liked much of his other stuff.

I had a great accidental find day yesterday. I got import best of LPs by Sam Cooke & Joe Cocker. The Sam Cooke is a 2LP set that has everything I'd want by him except Somebody Ease My Troubled Mind, but I can find a 7" for. I also grabbed the other Cocker album that's got You Can Leave Your Hat On too. I found the Broken Bells 7" I've been looking for and stumbled across the second New Edition album in great condition as well.

Heading out today to see if I can dig up a best ofs by Sly & The Family Stone, War and Jefferson Airplane as well as look for that Sam Cooke 7"

Picked up Zep-2 the other day. Great album! Now I have the first three and i think I prefer III the best so far, followed by I. Looking forward to get self-titled, or IV, when it's released.

I just listened to III straight through again yesterday. It got me all excited again for the IV and Houses re-issues coming soon.

Speaking of re-issues, I'm going to take my AFD & LLaS LPs to the record store this morning to see what I can get in trade for them towards The Beatles Mono box. They're going for $250 and $175 respectively on Discogs, which is $425 total. The Beatles set goes for around $350, so I'm hoping to be able to maybe get an even trade or close to it.

Picked up Zep-2 the other day. Great album! Now I have the first three and i think I prefer III the best so far, followed by I. Looking forward to get self-titled, or IV, when it's released.

I just listened to III straight through again yesterday. It got me all excited again for the IV and Houses re-issues coming soon.

Speaking of re-issues, I'm going to take my AFD & LLaS LPs to the record store this morning to see what I can get in trade for them towards The Beatles Mono box. They're going for $250 and $175 respectively on Discogs, which is $425 total. The Beatles set goes for around $350, so I'm hoping to be able to maybe get an even trade or close to it.

I'm currently not planning on picking up Houses.

Why is AFD going for so much?

Isn't it cheaper to purchase the Beatles mono LPs separately? Seems like they're going for about $24 each

Edited by Coma16

I'm currently not planning on picking up Houses.

Why is AFD going for so much?

Isn't it cheaper to purchase the Beatles mono LPs separately? Seems like they're going for about $24 each

They did they trade for me, so I'm happy! The copy of AFD that I had was a sealed copy of the very first pressing that was on both the Uzi Suicide & Geffen labels.

As for the price of the mono set, I wanted to box & the book so I'm quite happy with the deal.

Picked up some great stuff lately...

Get A Grip - Aerosmith (2LP Dutch pressing) ...I've been looking for a copy of this for over a decade without resorting to the internet.

Paris in April - April March

300 OST - Tyler Bates

The Devil's Business OST

Looper OST (everyone should check this out on mondotees.com. INCREDIBLE packaging)

Chopping Mall OST

Friday the 13th OST (should ship next week)

Going to a deathwaltz records event tomorrow so I should come home with a good haul from that.

Picked up some great stuff lately...

Get A Grip - Aerosmith (2LP Dutch pressing) ...I've been looking for a copy of this for over a decade without resorting to the internet.

Paris in April - April March

300 OST - Tyler Bates

The Devil's Business OST

Looper OST (everyone should check this out on mondotees.com. INCREDIBLE packaging)

Chopping Mall OST

Friday the 13th OST (should ship next week)

Going to a deathwaltz records event tomorrow so I should come home with a good haul from that.

Oh. Shit. I want Get A Grip badly