Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

I'm looking into Pioneer components right now. I already have a pioneer receiver and CD changer, so thought I'd complete the system with the turntable and shelf speakers.

image.jpg

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Audio-Components/Pioneer+Turntables/PL-990

What do you guys think?

Pioneer stuff is usually pretty solid. The only draw back to that table is the type of stylus' available for it. You don't have a lot of options (as far as I know) for upgrading a P-mount like that.

Would it need to be upgraded though? I was hoping that a newer model like this would already have an awesome stylus.

Oh probably not. I've just delved pretty deep into the world of upgrades, so now I'm overly concerned about it all the time lol

they haven't announced the price yet for this...but I will probably buy it regardless...even if I have almost everything in it.

Kissteria.jpg

I saw that and was considering buying it for a minute, but then I thought about a couple of things. 1) I don't see it being priced anywhere under $1000 2) I'm not a huge KISS fan. I've already got Double Platinum, Smashes Thrashes & Hits, Alive III and Unplugged. Outside of Revenge, which is being released separately, I can't see myself ever listening to the rest of it.

Yeah I figure it'll be 1500-1800. I'll probably convince myself I need it like I do with so many other things KISS (I even have dragon boots like Gene). The only hard part about it for me is that I have mostly everything in it and more. There are a few releases in it that have never been put out on vinyl before but they will be getting individual releases as well. As a set though, it is just fantastic and I just payed a similar price for a ticket to see them again in July and I had hesitations about spending that too so I'm sure this will turn out the same. KISS flipped my world upside down when I was 13 and has been my favorite band ever since so releases like this have me drooling on my iPad when they go up.

I hear ya. Stuff like Carnival Of Souls isn't available anywhere else, right? Either way, I get the feeling of needing it because of their impact of your life. I'm the same way with Floyd. I've bought everything to do with them 10x and if they did a set like this, I'd still drop everything and buy it.

I'm looking into Pioneer components right now. I already have a pioneer receiver and CD changer, so thought I'd complete the system with the turntable and shelf speakers.image.jpghttp://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Audio-Components/Pioneer+Turntables/PL-990

What do you guys think?

Pioneer stuff is usually pretty solid. The only draw back to that table is the type of stylus' available for it. You don't have a lot of options (as far as I know) for upgrading a P-mount like that.

Would it need to be upgraded though? I was hoping that a newer model like this would already have an awesome stylus.

Oh probably not. I've just delved pretty deep into the world of upgrades, so now I'm overly concerned about it all the time lol

they haven't announced the price yet for this...but I will probably buy it regardless...even if I have almost everything in it.Kissteria.jpg

I saw that and was considering buying it for a minute, but then I thought about a couple of things. 1) I don't see it being priced anywhere under $1000 2) I'm not a huge KISS fan. I've already got Double Platinum, Smashes Thrashes & Hits, Alive III and Unplugged. Outside of Revenge, which is being released separately, I can't see myself ever listening to the rest of it.

Yeah I figure it'll be 1500-1800. I'll probably convince myself I need it like I do with so many other things KISS (I even have dragon boots like Gene). The only hard part about it for me is that I have mostly everything in it and more. There are a few releases in it that have never been put out on vinyl before but they will be getting individual releases as well. As a set though, it is just fantastic and I just payed a similar price for a ticket to see them again in July and I had hesitations about spending that too so I'm sure this will turn out the same. KISS flipped my world upside down when I was 13 and has been my favorite band ever since so releases like this have me drooling on my iPad when they go up.

I hear ya. Stuff like Carnival Of Souls isn't available anywhere else, right? Either way, I get the feeling of needing it because of their impact of your life. I'm the same way with Floyd. I've bought everything to do with them 10x and if they did a set like this, I'd still drop everything and buy it.

Yep, Carnival of Souls (minus a small amount of European promo pressings), psycho circus, greatest KISS and the millennium concert have never been released on vinyl. That's exactly how I am. I have no problem rebuying their releases because well, it's fucking KISS.

• Like 1

Found a couple of cool things while digging at a couple stores yesterday:

The Cure-Close To Me (12" Remix), I love this version of the song

Georgia Satellites-Open All Night, had to have this due to their awesome cover of The Beatles' Don't Pass Me By

Steve Wonder-My Eyes Don't Cry (12" Single), I got the 45 for this a while ago and it was a totally different version then I've ever heard so I was glad to get the 12"

I pre-ordered the fun. live EP a few months back and it showed up in the mail yesterday so that was a bonus!

Jack White-Lazaretto

Via Vault package or was there another pre-order?

Did the Vault. I was very, very happy with my two prior Vault purchases so I figured why not on this one.

I'm definitely ordering this one! Did you order #19 that's currently being shipped?

I just picked up:

Kiss-Revenge

Elbow-The Take Off and Landing of Everything

Depeche Mode-Violator

Earlier today, I ordered:

My Chemical Romance-Greatest Hits

Jack White-Lazaretto

My Chem's Greatest Hits just showed up which makes me happy. I also found Garth Brooks and Eric Clapton records on Discogs the other day that I've been looking for for a while. They won't be here til next week, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Picked this up today:

51THJgGL97L.jpg

edit: God damn, those other versions were cool!

http://www.discogs.com/Janis-Joplin-Highlights-From-The-Pearl-Sessions/release/3549546

Almost bought the first Wintersun LP too but decided to get Time I (Digipak) instead cuz it was cheaper...

Have you listened to that Janis a lot since you got it? One of my local stores has it for cheaper than I was expecting but I'm wondering if I'll listen to it as much as the originals.

All I needed at RSD were the two Mayer Hawthorne 7"s. Russ, did you get those? The glow in the dark triangle Jaded Inc. 7" was $40!

I ended up getting everything I wanted except the Veruca Salt 10". I passed on the Hawthorne stuff but I may still pick them up later today or tomorrow.

All I needed at RSD were the two Mayer Hawthorne 7"s. Russ, did you get those? The glow in the dark triangle Jaded Inc. 7" was $40!

I ended up getting everything I wanted except the Veruca Salt 10". I passed on the Hawthorne stuff but I may still pick them up later today or tomorrow.

Just listened to them. The split 7" is really cool, definitely pick that one up. You can pass on the Jaded Inc. one unless you really like the novelty of the shaped glow in the dark disc. The actual music is really odd.

For RSD, I picked up:

Outkast - southernplaya...

Biggie - Life After (clear vinyl)

Soundgarden - 5-singles box set

Oasis - Supersonic (12 inch single)

I finally got to listen to a bunch of my haul last night. The Oasis single sounds fucking monstrous!

• Like 1