Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

So what is the best reasonably priced record cleaner in everyone's opinion? I have read and heard very good things bout this gizmo......

http://www.needledoctor.com/Spin-Clean-Record-Washer-Value-Pack?sc=2&category=108

I have a VPI 16.5 vacuum and a Spin Clean. I really don't like the Spin Clean for anything other than 45s to be honest. It's a lot of work for every single record for little results.

Damn, I can't believe this thread is 21 pages!

I use a KAB EV-1. Same principle as the VPI but you have to supply your own vacuum cleaner and you have to manually spin the record. At under $200 I thought it was a good deal. But I actually use a turntable when applying the cleaners so that at least half the process is auto spin.

I use the Audio Intelligent series of cleaners...first application is with their enzyme cleaner, then vacuum that off. Then the cleaning formula is applied, then vacuumed off. Finally rinse with pure water, and vacuum off. Takes about 10 minutes per album, but when done each album looks brand new.

Most vinyl enthusiasts will tell you that a vacuum system is the way to go. Buy a VPI or similar machine if you don't mind spending the money. If you want to save then I heartily recommend the KAB or possibly a model from Nitty Gritty if you want something in between.

Hey Russ one of my mates wants to get a new turntable - what gear you specifically got? Speakers aren't an issue.

Hey Russ one of my mates wants to get a new turntable - what gear you specifically got? Speakers aren't an issue.

I'm running a AT-LP240 turntable with a AT150MLX stylus installed. Turntable runs into an Adcom 7500 amplifier which runs into a Sony ES 8100 receiver.

Looks lot like my old Technics SL-1700 MKII table I bought in the 80's which is just an automatic version of the SL-1200 DJ table. Thing is Direct Drive and is built like a rock and I am getting ready to service it so I can start using it again. Need to deoxit the switches, lube the motor and most likely replace the arm return belt as they get gummy with age. Also need to find a new cartridge as I have an old Stanton 881S on it now and you can't get Stanton stylus for them anymore. Been reading on line that they are still considered decent tables so that will have to do for this year............

https://www.google.com/search?q=Technics+SL-1700+MK+II&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n4fqUuGdE8LesATEtIHwBQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1031

I love this thread as it helped me get vinyl fever again...I have read that first pressing of albums are usually the best sounding so I have been buying some select stuff off of ebay recently.

I bought 3 different first pressings of one of my desert island albums Deep Purple " Made in Japan" ...an original U.K , a Japanese (Live in Japan) and a U.S. pressing as I thought it would be fun to compare them and I am pretty sure my originals packed away in an upstairs closet are pretty beat up.

Have near mint (so the sellers claim) Black Sabbath "Vol. 4: and Jethro Tull "Thick as Brick" coming and am bidding on a few other favorite albums..........

Next purchase will be a record cleaner and might get a Spinclean for now and upgrade to a VPI in July when we get our bonuses.

Looking forward to spinning my first vinyl in close to 30 years!.............

I have an SL-1200 that I haven't started using yet. Bought it used and I'm going to replace possibly most of the parts with new. I will also take it fully apart and will get the base painted by a body shop to give it a nice glossy finish. Not sure what color to go with yet but black seems like a safe bet. Yes, this table is well regarded and there are many upgrades that can be applied to it if one wants to go down that path.

I'm running a AT-LP240 turntable with a AT150MLX stylus installed. Turntable runs into an Adcom 7500 amplifier which runs into a Sony ES 8100 receiver.

Looks lot like my old Technics SL-1700 MKII table I bought in the 80's which is just an automatic version of the SL-1200 DJ table. Thing is Direct Drive and is built like a rock and I am getting ready to service it so I can start using it again. Need to deoxit the switches, lube the motor and most likely replace the arm return belt as they get gummy with age. Also need to find a new cartridge as I have an old Stanton 881S on it now and you can't get Stanton stylus for them anymore. Been reading on line that they are still considered decent tables so that will have to do for this year............

https://www.google.com/search?q=Technics+SL-1700+MK+II&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n4fqUuGdE8LesATEtIHwBQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1031

I love this thread as it helped me get vinyl fever again...I have read that first pressing of albums are usually the best sounding so I have been buying some select stuff off of ebay recently.

I bought 3 different first pressings of one of my desert island albums Deep Purple " Made in Japan" ...an original U.K , a Japanese (Live in Japan) and a U.S. pressing as I thought it would be fun to compare them and I am pretty sure my originals packed away in an upstairs closet are pretty beat up.

Have near mint (so the sellers claim) Black Sabbath "Vol. 4: and Jethro Tull "Thick as Brick" coming and am bidding on a few other favorite albums..........

Next purchase will be a record cleaner and might get a Spinclean for now and upgrade to a VPI in July when we get our bonuses.

I have an SL-1200 that I haven't started using yet. Bought it used and I'm going to replace possibly most of the parts with new. I will also take it fully apart and will get the base painted by a body shop to give it a nice glossy finish. Not sure what color to go with yet but black seems like a safe bet. Yes, this table is well regarded and there are many upgrades that can be applied to it if one wants to go down that path.

Sweet, where are you getting your replacement parts KB? Hopefully the only thing I need to replace is the arm return belt but just in case would be nice to have a source of parts........

You probably already know this but if not you can download the service manual here

http://www.vinylengine.com/library.shtml

I love to vinyl's. recently i fixed my dad's lp player , that i broke before 32 years :P (yes i was 1 years old.it was my duty to fix this).My dad did not listened in lp.more it was like furniture to him.I ordered from local stores and ebay lp discs (Guns n roses, Metallica, ACDC , Rolling Stones ,Doors, Elvis, Michael Jackson and more). I dodnt not if it happens and to you guys.I believe that i hear better some sound than i hear them from cd.Of course i know that sound is better but this was way more good than i believe it.I like more and the feeling of the cover and smell.Like you touch music. Tha songs i love are better in vinyl

I love to vinyl's. recently i fixed my dad's lp player , that i broke before 32 years :P (yes i was 1 years old.it was my duty to fix this).My dad did not listened in lp.more it was like furniture to him.I ordered from local stores and ebay lp discs (Guns n roses, Metallica, ACDC , Rolling Stones ,Doors, Elvis, Michael Jackson and more). I dodnt not if it happens and to you guys.I believe that i hear better some sound than i hear them from cd.Of course i know that sound is better but this was way more good than i believe it.I like more and the feeling of the cover and smell.Like you touch music. Tha songs i love are better in vinyl

I agree mate in that I think vinyl is overrated regarding sound quality as a well mastered CD is tough to beat on a good sound system but Vinyl does have a mystic quality to it and can have a warmer sound quality...also is nostalgic for me as I grew up with vinyl........

• Like 1

Sweet, where are you getting your replacement parts KB? Hopefully the only thing I need to replace is the arm return belt but just in case would be nice to have a source of parts........

You probably already know this but if not you can download the service manual here

KAB sells a lot of replacement parts. I'm pretty sure Panasonic still offers parts as well. After that, if the first two come up empty, I'm probably looking at ebay.

I agree that a properly mastered CD sounds amazing but that vinyl does have that warmer more romantic sound to it in a lot of cases.

Anyone here try higher end carts? Spherical on the low end, ellipitcal in the middle, and line contact on the higher end? From my reading, the higher up you go the less record wear, since the stylus has a greater contact area. It should dig out more detail as well for the same reason. Illustrations can be seen here: http://www.sowka.pl/szlif/

If you don't want to spend too much for a higher end cart, there is a seller on ebay selling some new old stock SAE 1000LT carts for just over $300. This is a high output moving coil cart with a line contact stylus that many on the audio forums have raved about. The cart is about 30 years old (or so) but there do not seem to be any reports of them not working. Bonus is that it's a very cool looking cart as well. I purchased one a couple of weeks ago but it will be a little bit of time before I get it running, because I have a $100 Grado I'd like to try out first. Anyways, thought I'd mention the SAE in case anyone is interested. Do some reasearch via Google. Once they are gone (looks like the seller has 9 left) that will be it. Make sure it will be compatible with whatever arm you are using.

The other cart that has gotten my interest is the Grace F9, another oldie that you can only find used. Goes for about $300 as well as is said to be one of the best moving magnet carts ever made. Soundsmith is offering stylus replacement on the F9 from between $150 to $500. If you opt for the replacement stylus then obviously you could be spending up to $800, which is a lot of money, but the sound is supposed to be incredible. I'll stick with the SAE for now, but the Grace is another intriguing option (maybe for when I get a new job with a bump up in pay).

Vinyl is an expensive hobby, even if all you focus on is buying records.

Edited by KBear

KAB sells a lot of replacement parts. I'm pretty sure Panasonic still offers parts as well. After that, if the first two come up empty, I'm probably looking at ebay.

I agree that a properly mastered CD sounds amazing but that vinyl does have that warmer more romantic sound to it in a lot of cases.

Anyone here try higher end carts? Spherical on the low end, ellipitcal in the middle, and line contact on the higher end? From my reading, the higher up you go the less record wear, since the stylus has a greater contact area. It should dig out more detail as well for the same reason. Illustrations can be seen here: http://www.sowka.pl/szlif/

If you don't want to spend too much for a higher end cart, there is a seller on ebay selling some new old stock SAE 1000LT carts for just over $300. This is a high output moving coil cart with a line contact stylus that many on the audio forums have raved about. The cart is about 30 years old (or so) but there do not seem to be any reports of them not working. Bonus is that it's a very cool looking cart as well. I purchased one a couple of weeks ago but it will be a little bit of time before I get it running, because I have a $100 Grado I'd like to try out first. Anyways, thought I'd mention the SAE in case anyone is interested. Do some reasearch via Google. Once they are gone (looks like the seller has 9 left) that will be it. Make sure it will be compatible with whatever arm you are using.

The other cart that has gotten my interest is the Grace F9, another oldie that you can only find used. Goes for about $300 as well as is said to be one of the best moving magnet carts ever made. Soundsmith is offering stylus replacement on the F9 from between $150 to $500. If you opt for the replacement stylus then obviously you could be spending up to $800, which is a lot of money, but the sound is supposed to be incredible. I'll stick with the SAE for now, but the Grace is another intriguing option (maybe for when I get a new job with a bump up in pay).

I'm using an AT150MLX currently which is pretty high end. I absolutely love it thus far.

I'm using an AT150MLX currently which is pretty high end. I absolutely love it thus far.

Gets great reviews as well as long as you set up it up properly from what I read.........If I don't like the sound of the generic Stanton replacement stylus, which sadly are not the Shibata shaped diamond like the originals, I may have to check one out

Edited by classicrawker

Well fired up my Technics SL-1700 MK2 turntable today and it works except the cueing and auto return is dead. No surprised as this seems to be a common issue with these old tables. First thing to change is the belt to the arm return motor which I found on line but I have been reading on some of the forums I may have to replace some transistors so could be a while before I am up and running. Luckily for me I am and Electrical Engineer so changing out the parts is no big deal as I have all the tools required as I fix my own tube guitar amps so once I source them but just need the time to do it.

That's a nice cart!

I need to learn how to work on electronics. I gather if you know how to solder (which looks simple) you can do quite a bit.

That's a nice cart!

I need to learn how to work on electronics. I gather if you know how to solder (which looks simple) you can do quite a bit.

If you are mechanically inclined and know how to solder you can fix a lot of things that don't require trouble shooting but you also need to be able to read schematics and data sheets to change some components which is not too tough if you take a basic electronics course or two.............BTW I could teach you to solder in about 5 minutes so it is not too hard. I am sure YouTube has some tutorials on soldering you could learn from.............

Ordered this earlier today:

1309_foto2_product_groot.jpg

I am beside myself excited about it and cannot wait for it to arrive!

This just showed up in the mail. It's gorgeous and I cannot wait to blast it later!

I went on a bit of a Discogs spree last week so I should have stuff showing up all this week which will be cool :shades:

Son of a bitch, NICE haul!! The Dokken and Crue records caught my eye most. Is that a 12" single for Dream Warriors??

Side note-

I went on a bit of a binge of Discogs over the past week or so. All of these are shipping and I'm just waiting for them to show up:

Scissor Sisters-S/T

Prince-Nothing Compares 2 U 7"

U2-Stay Far Away So Close 7"

Cinderella-Live At The Key Club

The Format-Dog Problems

Pink Floyd-Pulse

Notting Hillbillies-Missing...Presumed Having A Good Time

Yep, it's got dream warriors on one side and two other songs on the other, forget which ones right now and am not at home to check. I'm not a big dokken fan but dream warriors is one of my all time favorite movies.

Same here. Not a huge Dokken fan but I love that movie and I've always loved that song. I have a live version of it on Beast From The East but I may have to track that single down.

I picked up a couple more LPs today:

Gary Clark Jr - Black And Blu

White Zombie -La Sexorcisto

Kurtis Blow - The Breaks

Blu Cantrell - So Blu

Also had the first Scissor Sisters LP and Dog Problems by The Format delivered today. Very excited about both.

How much did you pay for La Sexorcisto? White Zombie vinyl is tough to find for a decent price.

I grabbed the Music On Vinyl re-issue, it was $37.99

Damn, I didn't realize there were re-issues. I haven't seen them in stores out here in so-cal.

I think these are a couple years old, but they're worth tracking down. Both La Sexorcisto and Astro-Creep are around the $40 mark, but they sound bad ass.